Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to start my 2006 CBR600RR (bought new in late March), and found that the kill switch will not stay in the on position. If I press on it and continue to apply pressure, it will turn on and I can get the bike started; but the moment I let go, obviously, the engine dies.

I've been working strange hours lately and haven't been able to get a look at it. Is there somewhere I should start looking? Is this a common issue? I tried searching and found nothing that seemed to mention this type of problem.

Thanks,

~Icarusuki

·
Registered
391 Posts
i've heard of drilling a small hole in them and putting a pin in it so that it won't turn off..but maybe someone can..tell you more.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping it would be a quick fix. I guess I'll be calling my dealer.

Thanks!

~Icarusuki

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Holy cow, dont call your dealer!!!! Its gonna be like a million bucks. Go on ebay, or just take the switch apart. Something mostlikely jsut needs to be bent back or something.

K

·
0 Posts
......and not a single one person has suggested disassembling the switch to find the problem. unreal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ha, yeah I swore at it several times. It didn't really have any effect on the problem, but I think it was helpful psychologically.

I did manage to take the switch apart and found that nothing looks wrong. It's as if the Red plastic switch just stopped fitting in its slot. When it is removed, it works just fine, but when it is installed it seems to bind.

I can't see anything that would cause the binding, so it's a mystery. After fooling with it, I was able to get it to switch back and forth, but it is not like it used to be (it is MUCH stiffer now).

I figure that I will just learn not to use the kill switch and it get it looked at when time permits. At this point, I'm not even sure which part(s) needs to be replace (if any). Nothing looks broken, missing, worn or bulging.

Thanks for the advice!

~Icarusuki

·
Registered
87 Posts
Put the bike on a stand,address the bike from the front, and swear on it @ at least 90db for 2 mins. Kick the left front fairing once, and the right 3 times each time harder than the last. If the bike hasnt fallen off the stand, push it off. Remove the rear seat and throw it away. This may be a good time to check chain tension as you are in that general area anyway. This can be done by standing on the swing arm and stomping on it with your left foot. Lubricate chain if necessary. Pick up the bike while swearing on it even more and place on kick stand. Now try the switch again...if it still doesnt start...smash the switch and throw that away too. Tie all the wires you find inside together and, if possible, solder them. Pull off left side fairing, find the #1 plug wire and hold the goldie-colored part inside with you left hand,bike in "N",kickstand up, and press the start button. The bike should start then.

No seriously...I have no idea man sorry.
I'm just Idle here at work and thought this might be funny.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts