Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it make a different if you use the kill switch to turn off your bike or just using the key…….I have been using the key and just leaving the kill switch in the on position all the time.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
You would be better off using the key the switch been known
to have internal wiring problems which in turn caused other problems
such as starting issues , headlight issues etc etc

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Interesting answer. I didn't know that. Thanks, Moe!

My pleasure man read some of the threads in the troubleshooting section
and how it turned out that the kill switch was the main reason for such
issues

You know me i am an RR.net addict :tongue11: and i do read a lot of threads :laughing1

·
Registered
244 Posts
Aside from the kill switch causing problems, you are better off getting in the habit of using the kill switch. By making this a natural motion that you don't have to think about, you will be able to use it if you're ever in the situation where you need to cut the power immediately. I've always used the kill switch on my bikes. I've only had an RR for 6 months, so I'm hoping what Moeman says about the switch won't happen to me.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Racer
I see your point and do agree with it but using the switch to shut off
the bike evrey time you get off then turning it back on before riding again
is a little too much work for such a switch and might simply wear it down thru time

Also do not forget about the BAS *Bank angle sensor * that does kill the power to the engine in case the bike goes down that is another safety
feature so you do not have to rely on the kill switch alone to kill the engine
in case of an emergency

·
Registered
406 Posts
I believe there exists something in the Owners Manual that discourages use of the kill switch on a "regular" basis to stop the motor. I need to look it up to be certain.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Somebody told me that using the kill switch on a bike is like shutting down a computer by unplugging it from the wall. Emergency only. Shut it down properly and you will have less problems.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is the first injected bike I've owned, so yes, I'm not used to having BAS to take care of things for me.

The previous owner lost the owners manual. I'll have to get one and actually read it.

I doubt using the kill switch is the same as unplugging a computer. I believe both the keyed switch and the kill switch are wired in series. It shouldn't matter which switch you use. Other bikes I've had were wired this way, but I'm not a Honda mechanic and could very well be wrong. God I hate saying that.

You all have some good points for me to ponder.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ditto to the above. at the MSF class i was instructed to always use the killswitch. at the dealership when buying my 600rr they said never use it unless an emergecny, you can cause EFI and ECU problems on newer bikes

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
i just use the key.

question tho... anyone switch the stock kill switch with a button style? like mx bikes have. i realize it may be a safety issue from hondas standpoint, but it would be nice to not have to worry about accidentally shutting the bike off when u dont want to. just a thought i had as i make my 07 a race bike.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Racer

Also do not forget about the BAS *Bank angle sensor * that does kill the power to the engine in case the bike goes down that is another safety
feature so you do not have to rely on the kill switch alone to kill the engine
in case of an emergency
I didn't know of this BAS switch...........I'm learing something new..........or maybe I need to take some out and read upon the bike and all the other features

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Just to add another post to this. I have two bikes that are wired without keys, I only use the run/stop switch to turn the bike on and off and have never had a problem. The run stop switch is just cutting the power the same way your key works, it just needs a key to do it. This will in no way cause any problems to your bike either using just the run/stop or using the key. It's personal preference. I would guess the manual says to use the key so you don't forget and leave your key on and drain the battery. T

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to add another post to this. I have two bikes that are wired without keys, I only use the run/stop switch to turn the bike on and off and have never had a problem. The run stop switch is just cutting the power the same way your key works, it just needs a key to do it. This will in no way cause any problems to your bike either using just the run/stop or using the key. It's personal preference. I would guess the manual says to use the key so you don't forget and leave your key on and drain the battery. T
So don’t you think with your option of wiring it only to use the kill switch to start and stop with no key, doesn’t that makes it a easer target for someone to steal:fiddy:

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Glad you said "target", because that's what they will be if they touch my bike. My bike never leaves my sight! I learned my lesson with the first bike being stolen. Plus wiring isn't always straight forward. I don't have an ignition, so what is the crook going to use to start the bike? I have hidden switches to bypass the ignition totally, nothing will turn on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lucky me. My factory service manual came today. Which, by the way, I found by using a link on this site. Looks to me like doesn't make a difference, but before I say something really stupid, I'm going to study a little closer.

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
Its better to use the key to turn the bike off because if you get in the habit of using the kill switch theirs a good chance that one day your going to walk away with the key in the on position because the bike is not running and kill your battery. I'm sure someone on here has done it so they will agree.

·
Registered
244 Posts
one day your going to walk away with the key in the on position because the bike is not running and kill your battery. I'm sure someone on here has done it so they will agree.
I'll agree it could happen. I find myself not turning the key off quite a bit, but I've never walked away with the key in it yet. Still, you're correct. I'll post up here immediately if I ever do.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Aside from the kill switch causing problems, you are better off getting in the habit of using the kill switch. By making this a natural motion that you don't have to think about, you will be able to use it if you're ever in the situation where you need to cut the power immediately. I've always used the kill switch on my bikes.
Same here. This is what I was taught too. I couldn't imagine a switch getting worn out and causing problems like that, but I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Its better to use the key to turn the bike off because if you get in the habit of using the kill switch theirs a good chance that one day your going to walk away with the key in the on position because the bike is not running and kill your battery. I'm sure someone on here has done it so they will agree.
I have walked away from it like that once, but i arrived at a friends house and was picking something up and quickly leaving so it didn't really matter. i never forget to take the key out because i always put the bike in the "lock" position, no matter what....except for the time i stated above.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts