Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knocking from transmission when in neutral FIXED!

First! its and 08 Cbr600RR ... The other day I noticed a knocking sound as i was rolling out my bike. The bike runs great and shifts without any problems, so after my ride i came back in and did a little investigating. I put the bike on the stand and spun the tire, and noticed a consistent knocking sound as I turned the tire. The sound appears to be coming from the transmission. I took the tension off the chain by moving the tire back, and the knocking stopped. As i put more tension on the chain the knocking came back... ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS MIGHT BE?? and does anyone know where a good step by step is of a transmission tear down/ rebuild?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsb0sblGRPw

Don't know how to embed the vid on here. but there's a link to a vid i took as the chain was moving. you can hear the knocking if you turn it UP!!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
To me... that sounds like the chain hitting the chain slide on top the swingarm. That's just what I think the sound is.

To troubleshoot it. You need to isolate it. You're spinning the tire, chain and tranny. You need to get the chain off the front sprocket and just spin the tranny.

However... I'm pretty confident that is chain noise. The last part of the video... you spin it slow and it clunks... then you spin it faster and the clunk turns into normal chain noise.

To embed... put [you tube] then just... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsb0sblGRPw then [/you tube] make sure there are no spaces between youtube or anywhere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not Chain noise i know that for sure. I held my fingers under the chain as i spun it to make sure it wasn't the chain hitting anything. i did take the chain off the sprocket and spin it and there was no sound. only makes the sound when the sprocket is being pulled on by the chain. im thinking maybe i spun a bearing, and thats why it only makes that sound when there is pressure. its for sure not from the chain though.

ALSO i put my ear up and on the the clutch side of the bike and could its coming from inside.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Your chain could have a tight spot..does it make the noise when the chain is at a certain position?

·
4,495 Posts
Whoops, just saw the video...That just sounds like the chain rollers hittin the sprocket to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well after messing with it for about an hour this morning i think i figured it out! The front drive sprocket is worn down a bit and the chain appears to be hitting the bottom of the sprocket, (not resting on the rollers of the chain but the chain it self) its actually carved little groves in the base of the sprocket. Causing the chain to not sit properly and it was slightly off to one side. and as it would spin around the sprocket it would snap back into place making that slight popping sound. Got the new sprocket on order now. And I'm going to go ahead and replace the rear while I'm at it. Thanks everyone for telling me it was the chain. HAHA In my mind i had completely ruled out the possibility of it being the chain made me reconsider the idea.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
well after messing with it for about an hour this morning i think i figured it out! The front drive sprocket is worn down a bit and the chain appears to be hitting the bottom of the sprocket, (not resting on the rollers of the chain but the chain it self) its actually carved little groves in the base of the sprocket. Causing the chain to not sit properly and it was slightly off to one side. and as it would spin around the sprocket it would snap back into place making that slight popping sound. Got the new sprocket on order now. And I'm going to go ahead and replace the rear while I'm at it. Thanks everyone for telling me it was the chain. HAHA In my mind i had completely ruled out the possibility of it being the chain made me reconsider the idea.

if your sprockets were worn that bad, your chain probably is to, suggest replacing chain and sprockets,all at the same time

if your chains damaged, it will wear down the new sprockets much quicker.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
If you chain is kinked or binding it makes that sound because of tight spot on the chain. It could also be the chain slack is adjust incorrectly. Putting to much stress on the front sprocket.

I had this issues twice. First time it was me adjusting the slick to tight.
The other time this happen to me was a binding chain. Which had to be replace.

·
4,495 Posts
Front sprocket bolt 54 Nm (40 lbf lbs)

Don't use an impact on the front sprocket bolt. Terrible for the tranny!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 CBR600RR with 25500 miles on it. Cleaned and adjusted the chain today and now there's a clicking sound coming from my transmission. From what I see on here it could just be the front sprocket is worn. The chain has around 500 miles on it still new. When I put the bike in gear and move the wheel the wheel moves about an inch and a half and all the movement is coming from the front sprocket drive shaft, the cush drive and chain are tight within tolerance. It feels jerky when I'm ridding it, like there is a lot of slack some where. I'm going to change the sprockets and adjust the throttle slack. I've owned a few FI bikes and this one seams to jerk harder and have more slack in the drive train than the other bikes. I'm wondering if that one and a half to two inches of wheel play when the bike is in gear is normal. Does anyone else have the same amount of play?

·
4,495 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the forum. First off, the clicking you hear is the rollers hittin the sprocket. Second, it is generally best to replace the sprockets (front and back) and chain all at the same time because they all wear together. There should be minimal play in the tranny when its in gear. All the movement is coming from the cush drive and the chain.

I have a 2005 CBR600RR with 25500 miles on it. Cleaned and adjusted the chain today and now there's a clicking sound coming from my transmission. From what I see on here it could just be the front sprocket is worn. The chain has around 500 miles on it still new. When I put the bike in gear and move the wheel the wheel moves about an inch and a half and all the movement is coming from the front sprocket drive shaft, the cush drive and chain are tight within tolerance. It feels jerky when I'm ridding it, like there is a lot of slack some where. I'm going to change the sprockets and adjust the throttle slack. I've owned a few FI bikes and this one seams to jerk harder and have more slack in the drive train than the other bikes. I'm wondering if that one and a half to two inches of wheel play when the bike is in gear is normal. Does anyone else have the same amount of play?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
First... cleaning your chain won't cause your transmission to start making a clicking sound. If it is making a clicking sound... it has done that before you cleaned your chain.

Next, chain slack is measured in the up and down free play in the chain. I'm sure with trig. that you can figure what 1 inch of freeplay slack = how much linear movement, then calculate the sprocket size and diameter of the tire to get a forward and backward number... but I don't want to do that. Every bike will roll while in gear.

Last, throttle cable slack adjustment wont help you either. You need to modify your riding. My technique is this... When I see an apex of a turn and know where I want to start accelerating out of that turn ( or really just start accelerating in general) I slowly start applying throttle before that point to get throttle slack out plus whatever percent of throttle to transition from engine braking to maybe a maintenance throttle that neither accelerates or decelerates... this gets slack out of the gears in the engine ( tranny plus the two other gears), chain and everything. then I roll on the throttle with NO jerking.

Everyone has their ways... that is just mine.

EDIT: more info... If you're talking about slow speed jerking like riding through a parking lot, I always use the clutch even while rolling. Every time I want to accelerate, I ease out the clutch like I'm starting from a stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I know it's the front sprocket making the noise, thanks to this post and your replies. My main concern is the play in the drive shaft. The cush drive is fine and has no play, the chain has no play, well not more than they should have the cush drive hardly moves at all. But the drive shaft at the front sprocket has about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free rotation at the rear wheel when the bike is in gear and the back wheel is off the ground. I've had this bike a year now and it seams to have gotten sloppier in the last few months. I'm just wondering if that's normal for the CBR600RR to have that kind of play in the drive shaft at the rear wheel when the bike is in gear and the wheel is off the ground. If nobody knows thats cool, but if some one knows or could check there bike out and see if it's the same that would be great. I'm new to this forum and I guess to troubleshooting my CBR600RR but I'm not new to motorcycles, it just seams like this bike has a lot of slop in it. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:+1:

I just noticed the same scenario on mine as well; an 06 with just under 5k miles. I noticed a "chunking" sound and feeling and started doing some digging. I pulled the rear tire and chain off and found that the "slop" is in the drive shaft, not the sprocket, chain, or cush drive (I'd say the amount of play is pretty similar to your situation). I was hoping someone might have some ideas before I start yanking things apart trying to find it. I have limited faith in my local dealer (unfortunately the next closest is quite a distance away); they seem to make mistakes on the most mundane of services...so taking it to them and getting plowed isn't my first option. My first time seeing this situation as well, so I'm not even really sure where to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:+1:

I just noticed the same scenario on mine as well; an 06 with just under 5k miles. I noticed a "chunking" sound and feeling and started doing some digging. I pulled the rear tire and chain off and found that the "slop" is in the drive shaft, not the sprocket, chain, or cush drive (I'd say the amount of play is pretty similar to your situation). I was hoping someone might have some ideas before I start yanking things apart trying to find it. I have limited faith in my local dealer (unfortunately the next closest is quite a distance away); they seem to make mistakes on the most mundane of services...so taking it to them and getting plowed isn't my first option. My first time seeing this situation as well, so I'm not even really sure where to start.
Well unless you beat the heck out of your 06 I don't think you have a problem. I only thought my 05 might because I have 25000+ miles on it. The 05 and 06 CBR600RR are the same bike, really nothing was changed between those years, so I'm thinking it's just how they built them. There is no way I'm pulling the motor to find out, but if you find something out I'd sure like to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've ordered a manual, but I'm not really looking to tear it down just for gits and shiggles.

Can anyone else tell us if you see that much movement in your rear tire with the bike in gear and the rear off the ground? I saw a write up for the 07 and one of the features that was mentioned was decreased lash, maybe this is typical.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts