Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i keep hearing a noise coming from behind the front sproket. if i super loosen the chain the noise goes away, but when i tighten it the noise comes back.

kinda sounds like a roulette table spinning with the ball bouncing around.

theres plenty of oil in it. 3/4 window full.

chain is lubed

any advise?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Take the sprocket cover off and investigate the noise. How much chain slack do you have? What kind of chain lube are you using? How many miles on the chain?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took off the sproket cover and sproket.

i have about 1 inch slack

im using Maxima chain lube.

7,800 miles on the chain.

i took the sproket off and cleaned it. there was lots of redish brown dust.

what are you thinking it could be? is there a bearing in there?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Did the problems start after you took the sprocket off or before? Also you want a little more than 1" chain slack. Better to have the chain too loose then too tight.

Clean and inspect the chain very carefully for any kinks or binds. You can use Honda's Brake/Contact Cleaner. Lube it heavily with a good quality 90W gear oil and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
241 Posts
soundlike the chain might have a couple of links that are binding, lube the crap out of it and make sure all the liks are loose

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sound happened before i took off the sproket.

ill check the chain to see if there are any binding......

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Bearing on the output shaft... the tighter chain puts an uneven load on the bearing and causes that part of the race to go out of round, the balls then have a little movement and can cause some knocking, it should increase in frequency with road speed.

Would be a real pita to repair...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bearing on the output shaft... the tighter chain puts an uneven load on the bearing and causes that part of the race to go out of round, the balls then have a little movement and can cause some knocking, it should increase in frequency with road speed.

Would be a real pita to repair...
This is what im thinking my problem is... :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts