Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over a bump while riding their is a knocking noise coming from the shocks any idea on what it could be ? Thanks

Bike is an 04 cbr

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How fast exactly are you going over said bump? do the shocks compress a lot when you ride over it? enough to hit the bottom of the stanchion? if so, its prob that...

Is it only speed bump's this happens with or does the noise happen when you ride over pot holes and the like too?

·
Registered
714 Posts
maybe its your key chain banging against your tree... HEY it could happen.. but really it could be anything.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no its not the key chain lol. its when i hit most bumps at all different speeds.

could it be the steering head bearings?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It very well could be the steering head bearings, but it also could be the forks need rebuilt. There's bushings on the fork tubes and when they wear it it allows it to slop around a little bit, and will also make clicking/clunking noises, especially when you hit the front brakes pretty good

First thing I would do is check the torque on your triple tree nut (the funny shaped one), make sure it's good and tight (to spec). Sometimes that's all it is

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hold the front brake and jump up and down on the bike, see if you can replicate the clunking. Might help you further locate the origin of the sound.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya when I get home I will do that and see if i can still hear it when i hit the brakes and go up and down

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so I tried hold the brakes and going up and down with it and it dose not make the noise its only doing it when I go over bumps

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I second the steering head bearing theory.
Your triple tree crown nut may just be loose. I would check it first to make sure it's torqued to spec. I believe it's supposed to be 72, or 74 ft/lbs.
Verify before tightening.
Sometimes when it's loose it's difficult to tell unles you are rolling and grab a handful of front brake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya i believe it is the steering head bearing I have done everything else. the tripe crown nut it tight when I hit the breaks and move up and down it dose not make any noise its only when I go over bumps

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ya i believe it is the steering head bearing I have done everything else. the tripe crown nut it tight when I hit the breaks and move up and down it dose not make any noise its only when I go over bumps
Are you talking about the nut on the very top of the triple tree?? If so, all that does is hold the upper triple tree in place to the stem. The nut below that is what puts the preload on the bearings, which is the one you need to check. It looks like this...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
ya I was doing the one up above where is that one I didnt see that one ?
It's right underneath the upper triple clamp.... gotta take that top nut off, then take the upper triple clamp off, and then you'll see the goofy looking nut. If you have a spanner wrench you can use that to check it (I forget what the torque spec is though), just gotta drill a square hole in it for the torque wrench and adjust torque spec accordingly for how far away from the nuts center you put the hole. Otherwise a 4x4 hub socket works too, just gotta find the right size

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh ok so i need to take the top part off ya because I seen it just looked a little difficult to get to but seeing that i need to take the top off looks easier

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but did you ever solve this issue? My 2003 600RR started doing something that sounds like this today but only when I'm going up steep driveways and over speed bumps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts