Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to cut my trackday short when I started hearing a knocking/fluttering sound coming from my engine and once i pulled off the track the temp was at 244.. Someone told me that I could've blown a valve, which I doubt.

So a couple days later (today), I start it up, and I still hear the fluttering sound whenever I give it throttle. Its not very loud, but definitely noticeable especially above 4k. Also, my temps seem to be climbing much faster, but I didnt let it get above 223 tonight. Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be a buster water pump or is it something much worse? Any tips greatly appreciated before I start tearing into the bike..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Can you post a vid so we can hear exactly what it sounds like?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry no camera.. ill try to record it with my phone maybe or laptop. I think I may take it to a shop sometime this week and let them check it out

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the clutch cover off today to check for anything out of place or loose but couldnt find it. Also, I found out that as the longer I ride and the hotter it gets, the noise gets more obvious. Also, after a certain amount of time riding, it really doesn't want to cool down - i.e. the temps just start climbing leading to overheat. The fan kicks on, but doesn't really do much.

Would a faulty CCT do this? Could it be a busted water pump? Any advice appreciated before I take it to the stealer. Oh and the bike only has 4500 miles on it with 2 trackdays.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't seem to come from the water pump side though. Oh well, I did something I promised myself I would never do and took it to the $90/hr stealer. F**k it. They're gonna diagnose it first so hopefully after that I can take over. I'll keep you guys updated for future reference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
little update

Okay, this is weird. I just called the dealer and basically it came down to changing my oil or going in to replace rods or something else (20-22hrs at $90/hr - HA!) I'll do an oil change, but I dont see how the oil deteriorated after 2 track days and a few hundred miles or regular riding. It was the good Repsol race oil as well.. Synthetic oil shouldn't just go bad so quickly - or can it?

If it was really the rods - would those be RPM-dependent? The noise from my bike IS RPM-dependent and the warmer the bike, the worse the noise. Ill keep you posted. I may possibly need to buy an engine from one of you here soon! :tard:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
maybe your thermostat isn't opening ? (you need a new t-stat). rods? what kind of rods? i highly doubt your synthetic oil took a dump so fast, although the high temps could've killed it much faster so it is a possibility and if I was you, i'd certainly change it. it is not the ROOT of the problem though, just an after-effect. were you running water wetter? 50/50 or what?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
how many miles on the bike? cam chain could've skipped a tooth and thrown the timing off, making the spark plugs overheat and fail, injectors/coils could be faulty causing overheating, many things could be wrong. is it throwing a code?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent gotten around to the bike yet as I've had a million other things to do and work, but it only has 4500 miles, i ran regular 50/50 coolant in it.

If it skipped a tooth - would that lead to permanent damage? I am guessing that could be related to the CCT as well.

Like I mentioned before though - at idle there is no noise. Not until about 3k rpms. Ill be posting updates once I dig into it again. Thanks for all the replies and help so far

·
Registered
176 Posts
Try this - take the fairings off (if not off already) open the cap on the radiator and blip the throttle - if fluid doesn't come (just about) flying out I'd be betting the water pump gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my engine is toast. Basically I've got valve leakage and scoring on the piston (s). So yeah people change your old coolant to prevent overheating! I learned it the hard way... Now I've got to find a new motor before Laguna in Nov.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts