Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 600RR has 2000ks on it now and ever since new it has had what sounds to be a bottom end knock. only happens first 5 min of running. Also has lower pitch knock when hot (all the time) any advice would be appriciated. Going to take it back to dealer asap but dont trust this particular dealer.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
The knocking sound you hear when the bike is cold is from the
fuel injectors

As far as the lower pitch knock more details needed
such as what gear , what range of RPM'S , what is the current mileage
on the bike what side of the bike do you hear the sound coming from RTor LT
it might be one of two the cam chain adjuster or you need the valves adjusted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a top end noise and it definatly isn't an injector noise. It sounds like one big end or piston pin. And like i said the bike has 2000ks on it. This noise is only evident at idle.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
its probably the cam chain

·
Registered
613 Posts
My 05 had the same "big end" knock right after a scheduled (ie - shop) service at 12,000km. Scared the **** outta me. Went away after a few days so I put it down to two things: lower volume of oil used than I normally would (I fill to above the F line) and new oil taking a little while to thin out, thus taking longer to circulate at start-up.

Those causes might be well off the mark, but in any case the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
moeman said:
its probably the cam chain
That's what I'm thinking.

1) Is it on the right side of the bike?

2) Did they use:
a) Honda's Brand of oil
b) Any 20W-50 weight oil.
3) Does the knocking go away if you litely rev the bike on cold starts?

If any of these are a "yes", then change the oil to a good semi-synthetic of full sythetic 10W-40 weight oil. Repsol 4T, Castrol Syntec (car oil), and Castrol Actevo are all good oils that I have personally used and would recommend.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
there is always going to be some amount of engine noises. slight tapping or rattling noises are perfectly fine and they simply mean your engine is running lol. if it were a bad valve or lifter or something you would definitely know it

·
Registered
72 Posts
im gettin the same noise... after letting it run for a short time i slowly goes away n clearly sounds like a knock since i hear it most dominantly from the front lower. i still get a chattery "click click" sort of noise that seems to be coming from the rt side behind the clutch case. it does speed up during rev/acceleration. does this sound like the cam tensioner?

i noticed all the sound after switching to pureone's larger filter and valvoline motorcycle 10w40 oil. i went with the rotella T syn after it started and still get the sounds.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Ceph said:
NEVER run anything but a Honda filter, everything else is crap. prolly not flowing enough oil, causing starvation. and stick with 10w-40 oil. even 15w-40 made mine knock on cold start. 20w-50 made it just plain hammer, cold.
Go get a Honda filter and a different brand of 10W-40 oil. Repsol 4T or Castrol (Actevo or Syntec). Even Honda's 10W-40 was too heavy for mine. What happen's is the oil is thicker when it's cold. So the oil pump can't get pressure to the top side of the motor. The CCT is at the very top of the loop so it gets the oil last. Just rev the bike slightly in the morning to get the oil to the CCT and make it stop ticking. Don't let it sit there and run dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts