Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this happen to all 600 riders at some point? Obviously the 600rr is a rapid bike and I can't fault the handling now it's setup for me but I can't help feeling a bit more shove down low would make a massive difference. I ride twisty british B roads mostly with guys on 1000cc bikes and it looks so easy for them. Or is it the grass is always greener and 600's are the way to go?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Between 1k inline fours and 600 inline fours for street and canyon riding you have two tradeoffs. The liter bikes have a nice benefit of extra torque out of corners or from stops but most of that top end is unused and the upper gears are wasted. An acquaintance with an RSV4 jokes that the bike might as well only have 3 gears. He finds that kind of riding boring. I agree. It just tractors out of any corner no matter what gear he's in.
The 600's range of power requires keeping the revs more on the boil and higher corner speed. I find that more exciting and rewarding. Stopping it in a corner then hard accelerating to me is boring. I like the challenge and reward of maintaining momentum through corners. The tradeoff is having to slip the clutch more on takeoff and dropping a gear on highways to bolt where on a 1k you just roll it on and you're gone. I guess it's just down to how you like to ride. IMO everyone who says a 600 isn't enough for them is mostly talking their desire for torque. In that case I think the Vtwin sport bikes are a better option. Really think they are better street sport bikes. You have the benefit of torque without needing extra displacement to get it.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
Put it a gear lower..

You can roll on 5th gear the same time as litre bikes and expect to go at the same rate.

If they take corner on 5th gear, you take it on 4th or 3rd.

Do sprocket change and it'll give you a bit more go. Especially on the road when you don't need to have such high top speed. A lower gearing will make your ride more fun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking at changing the sprockets. I just didn't want to compromise the top end too much and wasn't sure how much benifit I'd feel down low. I've ridden a few litre bikes but being other people's bikes I've always been careful not giving them 100%. I think honda should make a 800rr. Lol

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
I have been looking at changing the sprockets. I just didn't want to compromise the top end too much and wasn't sure how much benifit I'd feel down low. I've ridden a few litre bikes but being other people's bikes I've always been careful not giving them 100%. I think honda should make a 800rr. Lol
compromise your top end? How often are you going 140+? I did the -1 +2 sprocket conversion on mine last summer, best thing I could have done to the bike, so snappy and responsive as compared to before.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Put it a gear lower..

You can roll on 5th gear the same time as litre bikes and expect to go at the same rate.

If they take corner on 5th gear, you take it on 4th or 3rd.
Quoted for truth!

600's need the tacho needle pointing upwards most of the time, lower one gear and you'll find that extra power you need to get out of a curve with enough torque without that feeling that the bike is gonna die....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
compromise your top end? How often are you going 140+? I did the -1 +2 sprocket conversion on mine last summer, best thing I could have done to the bike, so snappy and responsive as compared to before.
More than I'd care to say. My chain isn't too far away from needing changing so will think about sprockets then.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
More than I'd care to say. My chain isn't too far away from needing changing so will think about sprockets then.
My point is that your not going to notice it, the majority of your riding is done at speeds where doing a sprocket swap wont even be noticed at the top end

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
The old saying is on the road litre bikes are easier to ride fast. Just twist the throttle and go.

600 requires a lot of work (changing to lower gear etc)

Also on the road, it's not advisable to carry higher corner speed that's why it's easier to point and squirt using litre bike.

But if you're being sensible, the 600 has plenty of power in the "legal" speed range.

It's almost impossible to get the 1000cc torque curve on 600 without spending large amount of money. You can try putting turbo/supercharger on it and that'll beef up the mid range.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As someone as already mentioned, the -1, +2 "quick acceleration" sprocket change, with a 520 chain conversion is your best bet. I too was in your same shoes and chasing liter bikes all day. Yes I had to work harder but I had no issues. Once my stock chain ran out at 24k miles, I changed over with the addition of the Speedo Healer. It does make a huge difference in that bottom end.

I still top out at what I'd consider to be a good speed to be moving anyway for twisty roads as you're enjoying. Many people don't believe me when I tell them that my bike is a 600cc. It's all in how you ride...and yes, I've ridden many 1000cc+ bikes as well. They are fun, but the 600 is MORE fun to work.

Sprockets, your suspension, and better tires to make you feel comfortable will make all of the difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I do enjoy the bike once it's wound up and it rips through my favourite country roads. I was even thinking of a gsxr 750 but I've only had the RR a year so think the sprocket change could be the way to go to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I do enjoy the bike once it's wound up and it rips through my favourite country roads. I was even thinking of a gsxr 750 but I've only had the RR a year so think the sprocket change could be the way to go to keep it fresh.
The gsxr750 rides well, but my god is that front headlight UGLY as sin. Just my opinion, no offence to those who like it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The gsxr750 rides well, but my god is that front headlight UGLY as sin. Just my opinion, no offence to those who like it.
Same here. I just can't love that face no matter how hard I try. Although I must admit those Suzuki's were more comfortable to sit on compared to the CBR. I need to ride one.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Maybe you've out grown it, the 600's are pretty dang slow, I heard the zx14 is a little bit better. Maybe you're overweight?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I did -1/+2 - EK MVXZ black chain, motomummy kit. Best thing I did.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts