Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey hey.

starting to plan for the big event - we are comming down from canada. I have some questions tho. We are looking at getting a hospitality package. Where are the good turns? Are the packages worth the money? Anyone have experience with these packages? And, is it REALLY worth renting a motorcycle down there for the weekend?

is it like rush seating around the track on the grass? How packed does it get?

hotels - what sort of options are there? I remember reading they jack the prices for the weekend, and that you can stay out of town for a lot cheaper. Where is close to laguna?

MODS - can we get a sticky thread for all the laguna q's?

troy

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
If you get a hospitality pkg you won't have to fight to see the race, on the otherhand there was a fight at the corkscrew this year, typically thats the most crowded spot to watch the race.
The farther you stay from the track the cheaper it is. In 05 I stayed at a Marriot property in Morgan Hill about 45mins north which was about $120/night.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't really find the turn 4 grandstand seats to be worth it. So save your money there, in my opinion.

I DID feel like the paddock pass was worth it, but only if you are going to go on Friday and Saturday, too, because you'll want to scope out seats on Sunday if you don't buy reserved.

We sat in the corkscrew last year and got there by 7:30 am to secure decent seats. By race time, the corkscrew was totally packed. Oh, and there is no grass; just dirt. :) I think the corkscrew is definitely the best place to watch the action. Because of the relatively low speeds, you are much closer to the track.

I stayed with some friends who live in Salinas, and I've heard that is a good place to get hotel rooms.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
i will be statined at Ft. Irwin california during this race, u can bet I will be up there and I will defainty make a point of meeting u CVLighthouse!

C

·
0 Posts
Virgil said:
i will be statined at Ft. Irwin california during this race, u can bet I will be up there and I will defainty make a point of meeting u CVLighthouse!
Good to hear man! Are you going to have a bike w/ you?

K

·
0 Posts
I'd like to meet some of you as well. Fri, Sat., Sun i will be there.

however, i may not want to ride right away when i get there... some of you MAY know why. I may just want to park my bike and pass out for a few hours.

·
Registered
623 Posts
mauriteb said:
I didn't really find the turn 4 grandstand seats to be worth it. So save your money there, in my opinion.

I DID feel like the paddock pass was worth it, but only if you are going to go on Friday and Saturday, too, because you'll want to scope out seats on Sunday if you don't buy reserved.

We sat in the corkscrew last year and got there by 7:30 am to secure decent seats. By race time, the corkscrew was totally packed. Oh, and there is no grass; just dirt. :) I think the corkscrew is definitely the best place to watch the action. Because of the relatively low speeds, you are much closer to the track.

I stayed with some friends who live in Salinas, and I've heard that is a good place to get hotel rooms.
you really didn't like T4??? we love those seats
you can see them coming up T1 down to T2, loose them for a few second, then theyre there at T3, coming right at you to T4 and up to T5.

You watch the remaining lap on the jumbo tron, and it starts all over again.

Those are great seats.

What turned you off about T4???

·
Registered
150 Posts
sarawalker said:
you really didn't like T4??? we love those seats
you can see them coming up T1 down to T2, loose them for a few second, then theyre there at T3, coming right at you to T4 and up to T5.

You watch the remaining lap on the jumbo tron, and it starts all over again.

Those are great seats.

What turned you off about T4???

Got to agree, turn 4 is great!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yes, I will be riding my bike down from WA state. Planning on takeing Highway 101 and then California 1 when I get to Ft. Bragg CA. I am 9 hours away from Ft. Irwin, will have to take some leave days off for the weekend of leguna seca but yes, I will definatly be riding CV! I assume theres a rally to the track starting somewere!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey

someone had posted a GREAT listing of hotels in the area. I cant find it, and I did try the search function. Does anyone know where it went? mods?

·
Registered
668 Posts
from what i understand, make your hotel reservations asap because the rooms fill quick. as far as renting a bike for the weekend. if you can afford it, do it.....riding down highway 1 is something every person with a motorcycle should do at least once in their life.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Well, I am 9 hours away from leguna, 4 day pass here I come. Take a little leave and say GOODBYE!

·
Registered
623 Posts
thesoonerkid said:
from what i understand, make your hotel reservations asap because the rooms fill quick. as far as renting a bike for the weekend. if you can afford it, do it.....riding down highway 1 is something every person with a motorcycle should do at least once in their life.
definetely reserve you room now and make sure you have confirmation via email and by phone.

as for renting the bike, HW1 is a must.

however, if you're not going to be camping at the track, parking a bike can be tricky. If you don't get to the main parking areas early enough, you may very well end up on a hill with the ground squirrels, dried grass, rocks and that heavenly sun.

Or you could leave the bike in town, take the shuttle to the track and not have to worry about parking your bike, or wether or not you'll be slidding your bike down the hill when you leave. It's happened.

There are some horror stories, but more positives than negatives. This past race weekend was a fluke due to the heat wave. Alot went south due to the heat, but for the most part it was a great time.

Now, be forewarned, Laguna is extremely limited in handling a 100k crowd for the three days, but they are improving every year. Just bring your patience, tolerance and understanding. Just roll with it. :icon_salu

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been calling a few hotels in Carmel Valley. They have told me that, as I've decicided not to rent a bike, the best place to stay would be Seaside or Marina. I just wanted to pass that along for any other peole who dont know anything about the area

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I've stayed in Salinas two years, and then for 2006 I stayed with some friends who lived about 2 miles from the track. I'd say for accomodations and convenience and traffic, Salinas would be a top way to go.

And for the record, Luke (cvlighthouse) knows how to show you a good time! ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sarawalker said:
Salinas is also a good place for hotel / motels, maybe abit less expensive also
How would transportation to/from the track from Salinas be? The woman at a hotel I called said that Seaside and Marina would be best. If I can get away with it, I'd like to not have to rent a car this weekend...tryin to keep the costs down

1 - 20 of 47 Posts