Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at lunch time today, our supervisor comes over to "chat" and share a smoke with us. After about 15 minutes of BS, he finally tells us that we're being let go. Needless to say we were/are pretty upset about this. Nobody even saw it coming. The job is months away from completion so I'm sure something happened with contracts or funding. Now, I know I'm not special and this is happening to everyone every day but come on. I just got back on my feet from the last lay off. I really thought this was going to be several months of steady work. This sucks. I wish now I wouldn't have ordered my kit from MJ, i could use the cash now. I'm not about to, or trying to for that matter, trying to start a social or political debate on why this is happening I just want it to end and get better. I'm happy I bought Easter stuff for my daughter already. Time to think about changing my major as well. What good is a degree in construction management if there isn't anyone that's building. Sorry for the rant guys, I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No problem man, sorry to hear. I just got laid off on Thurs as well. They gave us a 60 day notice but in the same camp as you, designer/drafter for the oil industry. they just dont want to build anything right now!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm thinking about. I already phoned and made appointments with advisors at NAU and ASU West to what what other classes I need to take. I'll find out more when I speak to them. I've been on monster and Jobbing and it's either computer related or medical related jobs. Unless I want to be a car salesman.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one is. I know at the city of glendale plans review department they have nothing new and over a dozen and a half plans that have been approved but just left to collect dust. Sorry to hear you got the can too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No one is. I know at the city of glendale plans review department they have nothing new and over a dozen and a half plans that have been approved but just left to collect dust. Sorry to hear you got the can too.

Thanks man. yea and its not even just here, our company has jobs on almost every continent in the world and we still cant get work going.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something has to change thats for sure. I have to call all my debtors and tell them that even though I got caught up, I might be late again or to expect partial payments.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That sucks man. Had a painting company about a month ago. People just stopped calling. Living off my gi bill now. Good luck on the job hunt

·
Registered
380 Posts
Guys i feel your pain..I am a Project Manager as well and i go from working all the time with hard to meet deadlines to now standing in the Unemployment line...This crap sucks bad...And I have 3 kids and a wife that i have to support and i cant even get a job at Mcdonalds because they said i was Over Qualified...wtf??

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry to hear, I got laid off from the same company twice already. The economy is bad right now and there is a lot of job cuts. Just file unemployment with the rest of the people in the US until you find another job. I was planning on becoming and electrical engineer but decided to go in the Bio Technology field the medical field looks promising. Wish you the best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
That sucks man, I'm waiting for management to tell us we're laid off. That's why I really hope the st.louis blues go far into the play offs (I work for the blues obviously). Got laid off last summer for 4 months. That really sucked. Wish I worked for the Red Wings, I'd never get laid off lol.

btw, don't believe the whole "oh get into the medical field, they are always hiring" Not true. My girl went to school to be a radiology technologist and when she graduated along with the others that made it through the program, no one is hiring. So at least 7 people paid 40K worth of schooling and have no where to go. It's ********.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think depending on where you are located is going to determine what's out there. I hear ya on the kids aspect. I only have one but I still have to look out for her. The other problem is when you pay out 1800 or so on mortgage+utilities+misc&household, it's hard to take a job making 9-11 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
345 Posts
im in school now for building construction management. thinking about staying in school an extra year to get an associates degree in organizational leadership and supervision. Figure is will also give the economy a lil more time to turn around and get better, so i hope

1 - 20 of 42 Posts