Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back during the week of July 4th mine along with 7 other Sportbikes were stolen from my south OC aprtment complex. The apartment complex is gated and all that however that did not stop the theives from cutting the lock and taking it. After about 2 months i was able to replace my bike after insurance paid out. Since the incident myself and fellow residents have been parking our bikes on our patios or in the apartment. Today i get a letter from my landlord and they inform me that i can no longer protect / park my bike on the patio of my apartment. I have until 11/13/06 to comply or else... I try and chill before i go and talk with the landlord about the letter. When i get there this punk @ss leasing agent was like read your lease. I explain to him the situation and he is like basically the same gate and security that failed me previously is suppose to protect me now!!!! Part of me wanted to grab him by his shirt collar but the sane part of me was like "its obvious they don't care".
Any advice...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
there is nothing you can do about it. it's thier policy and you HAVE to honor it or else. push it inside and make sure they don't see you doing that or they might be on your ass again.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
what he said. ^^^

you can go to the BBB and report how bad its been
with stolen bikes and give the place a bad rep. thats
about it.

only solution...put up with it and take the risk parking it out.
or move the fvck out. me personally...i would find another place.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
tell that little skinny ******* that if he bears personal responsibility for your bike, parked as he requires you to, then you will comply/Either that or they a) let you install a bikebrace.com or b) they do something else to insure personal property is protected. They may not have anything in the lease about protecting your property but you can argue (as any good lawyer would) that the gate is an implicit guarantee of protection, which has already failed.

just a thought.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I lived in an apt, I always pushed my bike into the apt. I had a ground floor, open porch, no fence. So, it was a matter of taking the extra time each time I go riding to wheel the bike out and push it back in. It took up a bunch of space in my apt, but that's the cost of piece of mind.

Anyways, I did that in two apt complexes. Both times, I got warnings about it. And both times, I didn't do anything about it. They just said to have it removed by the time inspections come around (which come around every 5 years). I just happen to fall on the year of inspections. Either way, if you can get away with it, it's worth the piece of mind. I was warned, and if they really wanted me to move the bike outside, I would. But it's not like they can check every single day. I'm not telling you to do one way or another. Just saying that I managed to get away with keeping my bike inside my apt.

The plus side of that is you can work on your bike indoors during the winter time. Oh yeah, I also covered my bike with a blanket whenever it was inside.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
either wheel it inside and hope you don't get caught or rent a storage unit (if those are available in the area)...i def won't ever store mine outside

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
MOVE, that is the only real fix.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
When i lived in an apt i always rented
a storage unit and that is where my bike
was parked when i am not riding i did
that for 8 years yes its an extra expense
but consider it extra insurance

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm sure if you read your lease, it will say something about not storing it on the patio. Well, you're not storing it there, you're parking it there. Just leave it there and tell them to kick rocks. I got one of those letters at my old apt complex and I never moved my bike. They never did anything about it either. They are not going to kick you out and give up their money every month. Especially in south OC where you are prolly paying $1200 for 1 bedroom or more.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I see a lot of options here. You can do like most have said and continue to keep your bike indoors, ignoring the letter. Another option is to get with the seven other bike owners in your complex and fight the landlord. Eight tennants is a pretty strong group to fight the landlord. Some things you can get the landlord to do is set up a spot for bike parking where bike braces can be installed. If the complex has some sort of secure parking garages then you can likely fit up to four bikes in one garage. Get four of the other riders to split one in the complex. Hell, even if you don't want to fight the landlord you can get together with some of the other riders in the complex and rent a nearby garage or storage container. The cost hurts a bit when doing it alone but when you have three or four people to split it with, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I rent out a garage unit from my apartment complex.

And what johnny said... but that is putting a lot of trust for someone you don't really know.

I think the best option is if you don't have a garage unit, is to just park it inside of your apartment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i also live in a apartment and the landlord wouldnt let me park it in the patio or the parking lot. So sh*t they told me to put it in the back yard ( backyard is hard to get around the plus theres nothing but mud and dirt) so i made a ramp and i push the bike in threw the front door.

·
Registered
228 Posts
All i have to say is i experienced this exact problem and there will be no give by the land lords. I was on the second floor so no pushing the bike in for me. My bike was stolen and they basically told me to bad no parking on the patio because of the fire codes. Guys in the back of my complex could get away with it but i was up front so they ripped my ass for it. I went for option 2 and bought a house. I just kept my bike in a buddies garage that lived close till i moved. And those storage units are going to be just as easy to break into as going into the apartment. This best thing i heard is if they really want it they are going to get it. Back when they ran two wheel tuesday on speed they had an ex theif on there that now works for insurance companys, that showed how easy it was to do even in a gated appartment with a guard less than 3 min a bike. He said the same about those units they will just follow you until you leave. He said the only thing that would stop him is if it was inside or in a garage because then he would risk being shot by the owner.

I have compasion for your problem but if you know somebody with a garage that is close. Definatly do that and just negotiate on how to compensate them.

And the cops are not going to do a thing unless they find the bike by mistake.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts