Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ill sign but i dont agree with it at all. I would like to see some statistics on it if any are available. Just thinking about it makes me nervous but in the end i would like to leave it to the driver to choose

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just the name 'lane splitting' sounds dangerous!

Over here and in most of Europe (as far as I'm aware), 'filtering' is legal; but obviously if you're doing it dangerously then you'll still get pulled.
It just means you can ride through, or around, stationary or slow-moving traffic;, assuming it's clear and safe to do so, and that you can stop on your own side of the road. As with usual road laws, solid lines can't be crossed.

As with everything though, if the rules are clear and concise, then there shouldn't be any more risk involved than riding normally.
I'd hate to have to sit and wait in traffic like a car, if there's room to safely filter through the gaps

·
Registered
479 Posts
There are literally dozens upon dozens of benefits for lane splitting. Some of which are less rider fatigue, less polluted gasses, promotion of less polluting vehicles, increase flow of traffic, better usage efficiency of the road.

Less rider fatigue = Better overall health which leads to billions of benefits
Less polluted gasses = Better environment
Promotion of less polluting vehicles = Increase market for motorcycles
Increase flow of traffic = Enormous economic benefits
Better usage efficiency of road = Lower city/state costs

Lastly, lets remember what our founding fathers fought for and why our parents/grandparents/etc, came to the US.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In high density areas filtering should be mandatory. I've been filtering in cities for 25 years and if you do it in traffic when cars are lined up at a stop it's safe.

Bikes filtering reduces traffic and emissions.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Dudes, y'all gotta do a couple things: first, eliminate using the term lane splitting completely. Second, only refer to it as filtering and make the context vague as hell. Third, make the title of the petition almost, if not completely unrelated from the goal...call it the something something traffic safety whatever, and there ya go...it's politics not rocket science.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dudes, y'all gotta do a couple things: first, eliminate using the term lane splitting completely. Second, only refer to it as filtering and make the context vague as hell. Third, make the title of the petition almost, if not completely unrelated from the goal...call it the something something traffic safety whatever, and there ya go...it's politics not rocket science.
Genius haha

·
Registered
620 Posts

I'd vote for you

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't dare filter or lane split here, to many redneck A holes in trucks and SUV's that think it is some sort of Tom Petty competition and just HAVE to be first.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just the name 'lane splitting' sounds dangerous!

Over here and in most of Europe (as far as I'm aware), 'filtering' is legal; but obviously if you're doing it dangerously then you'll still get pulled.
It just means you can ride through, or around, stationary or slow-moving traffic;, assuming it's clear and safe to do so, and that you can stop on your own side of the road. As with usual road laws, solid lines can't be crossed.

As with everything though, if the rules are clear and concise, then there shouldn't be any more risk involved than riding normally.
I'd hate to have to sit and wait in traffic like a car, if there's room to safely filter through the gaps
So here in Belgium, it's like this:
- Max speed when filtering is 50km/h
- Max difference in speed between the cars on the lanes you're splitting is 20km/h
- On the highway, you can only split the two lanes on the left

You just can't cross solid lines or ignore leeway rules.

I'm kinda curious how it is in CA for instance, I see a lot of motovloggers flying through. Everything allowed?

·
Registered
620 Posts
So here in Belgium, it's like this:
- Max speed when filtering is 50km/h
- Max difference in speed between the cars on the lanes you're splitting is 20km/h
- On the highway, you can only split the two lanes on the left

You just can't cross solid lines or ignore leeway rules.

I'm kinda curious how it is in CA for instance, I see a lot of motovloggers flying through. Everything allowed?

That's kinda the unwritten rule here too regarding speed and lanes. It's the sensible way to do it. Solid lanes and leeway are the law, so you don't break those, although there's always idiots who make their own rules.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Can legally lane filter here in QLD as long as it isn't in a school zone/hours, and has to be between cars, can't be between cars and a gutter for example. Max is 30km/h.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts