Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I know it's illegal. But let's be honest here, we've all done it to save time or get past an obstacle that a car will usually not be able to.
My question is: Has anyone made a habit of it? Using a motorcycle to commute to work is one of the best things I've done (even in the rain).
Has anyone encountered LEO's because of lane splitting? :police:

Bring on the flames!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lane splitting in London was the best thing ever!!! Rented a bike when i got there, everyone lane splits. I do it every once in awhile when there are jerk offs on the interstate. (i live in SE minnesota, so not crazy traffic)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glad I live in Cali where splitting is legal... even then I only do it when traffic is slow or stopped...

·
Registered
108 Posts
its perfect for driving around San Francisco, but I wouldnt do it if cars are moving! There are some scary drivers out there as you prob know.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I almost never do it while cars are moving, unless they're going about 5mph or so on the highway. But I almost always move up to the front when stopped at a traffic light, if the space allows it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know where you live in NY, but I'm pretty sure a cager would make quick work of someone on a bike out on Long Island. People just don't give a f*** when they are behind the wheel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah i live in a big collage town and every morning theres atleast 2 bikes that pass me in the car in the bike lane that gotta get to work, kinda stupid if u ask me

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
definitely don't make a habit of it.

cops will tow you off the highway first chance they get, AND give you enough tickets to kill your riding season by June.

I gave up street riding in NYC, and cops were one of the major reasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I know it's illegal. But let's be honest here, we've all done it to save time or get past an obstacle that a car will usually not be able to.
My question is: Has anyone made a habit of it? Using a motorcycle to commute to work is one of the best things I've done (even in the rain).
Has anyone encountered LEO's because of lane splitting? :police:

Bring on the flames!
Come to Japan. Everyone lane splits here. I freaking fly through traffic every time I ride. Traffic jam? No problem. It's perfectly acceptible to cruise through cars or even on the outsides.

Love it. Of course I'll probably get nailed soon by a door or something. LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regardless of what your opinion is about lane splitting, has anyone been stopped by a LEO when lane splitting?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do it frequently during traffic jams when traffic is below 5ish mph. Never been hassled by the Dean but they have never seen me do it either. I probably don't exceed 10-15mph while splitting.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
so answer the question guys... does anyone lane split if it is still illegal in their state? i dnt but i wanna... my whole school commute is all traffict stop n go... if i could just go on the side n pass it all it would be a 2 minute ride instead of a 15 minute ride

·
Registered
752 Posts
so answer the question guys... does anyone lane split if it is still illegal in their state? i dnt but i wanna... my whole school commute is all traffict stop n go... if i could just go on the side n pass it all it would be a 2 minute ride instead of a 15 minute ride
I do it all the time. It is illegal but hey, we sport bike riders are special.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts