Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Personal opinion only but no way would I want to have lane splitting legal in a state that doesn't have year round riding season. As much as I'd love to see it legalized everywhere, as someone who has lived over 40 years in areas that have maybe 6 months of riding available per year, the time it takes someone to even remember bikes exist come spring, much less expect someone to potentially be in a blind spot, is way to long to make it work right.

And add in the skills it takes to do it safely are something that take a while to master and keep sharp so after that much time off you have a mix that simply doesn't lend itself to most states.

Ymmv, but I don't see there being a time that a government will ever look at this as something they'll back nationwide from this factor alone: the incidents that will happen while people are "retaught" what to look for while driving are far too great for them to shoulder.

Nice thought but not practical.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Personal opinion only but no way would I want to have lane splitting legal in a state that doesn't have year round riding season. As much as I'd love to see it legalized everywhere, as someone who has lived over 40 years in areas that have maybe 6 months of riding available per year, the time it takes someone to even remember bikes exist come spring, much less expect someone to potentially be in a blind spot, is way to long to make it work right.

And add in the skills it takes to do it safely are something that take a while to master and keep sharp so after that much time off you have a mix that simply doesn't lend itself to most states.

Ymmv, but I don't see there being a time that a government will ever look at this as something they'll back nationwide from this factor alone: the incidents that will happen while people are "retaught" what to look for while driving are far too great for them to shoulder.

Nice thought but not practical.

Mike
I think you make a good point, there needs to be a more specific definition of when it's appropriate and how fast a potential rider may travel. If we set our own definition of each then it can't be set for us and then spun. There needs to be a clear and set difference between lane splitting and filtering.

Filtering needs to be defined as moving in between stopped cars at a traffic light where as lane splitting will be defined as moving in between cars when the flow of traffic has dropped below say 50% of the posted speed limit. If someone has an argument against one then we propose the other...it's quicker and easier with the illusion of choice.

I admit that I have split lanes at speed but I see validity in the concerns contained in the post I've quoted mainly because of all the idiots already giving us a bad name which is why I suggest we start with filtering since, as I defined it, it would take place at low speeds when cars are stopped.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody can sign.

While I do agree that there will be an initial raise in accidents and close calls from nationally sanctioned lane splitting, the way I see it is if you don't start somewhere, the drivers and riders alike won't ever get a chance to even start recognizing each other on the roads. I ride year round and it's amazing how drivers' attitudes change in the off season when they see a rider - Once they see you, they give you plenty of space since it's so far out of the norm. The trick is getting them to recognize you exist.

As far as skills are concerned, that's what MSF and the like are for. If a rider is not comfortable splitting, he is not forced into it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
California's lane splitting law calls for speed under 30mph if I remember correctly, and when all cars stopped in traffic.

Lane splitting does not imply riding 70mph in between cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Signed and sent to all my biker friends. If there is a chance, the word has to be spread, fast, to reach the 100,000 signatures mark. We have till Jan 1st...

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
California's lane splitting law calls for speed under 30mph if I remember correctly, and when all cars stopped in traffic.

Well, if we don't define it it'll be defined by someone else and it probably won't be beneficial to our cause.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If someone is from CA please correct me on this since I'm not too certain:

-Speed of the rider not to exceed more than 10mph while filtering
-In case of an accident involving a rider that was filtering and a car, rider takes full liability.

That's just two of the guides I remember.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Did you mean 10mph over the flow of traffic or 10mph period? And what is defined as lane splitting vs filtering?

Being liable for a risk I take is normal, but the risk should be more clearly defined so those that don't ride understand the difference.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

This is false, last year the CHP put out guidelines were just suggestions, that many people misinterpreted as law. In fact CHP got sued for it and then took it down. see link http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
The petition calls for implementing similar guidelines to what's in CA nationally.
If someone is from CA please correct me on this since I'm not too certain:

-Speed of the rider not to exceed more than 10mph while filtering
-In case of an accident involving a rider that was filtering and a car, rider takes full liability.

That's just two of the guides I remember.
I'm pretty sure that you just made this up

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts