Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I'm pro lane split.

Learned to lane split in Thailand.

Lane splitting is normal in other countries.

Drivers are used to bikes lane splitting

Not so here.....

I have seen a lot of stupid lane splitters in Cali.

(dumbest splitters are loud HD riders)

Having no law was best.

I enjoy "gray areas", where common sense is called upon.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Lane filtering is legal here in Queensland (under 30km/h). However lane splitting I don't agree with (at speed).

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I'm in my car, bothers me when bikes do it. I have never done it on either bike I own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If all traffic has slowed to well below the posted speed limit then yes, but ride at about a maximum of 20mph faster than the other traffic. Keep your eyes well peeled for lane changers.

If you do it in the normal flow of traffic then no, that's just stupid.

Just had a weekend ride in France and traffic slowed to an almost standstill on a rare journey onto a dual carriageway (never did see why!) so I filtered. In France drivers are brilliant as they will actually move over to make space for you, even when there is plenty already! Tres bien.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This pleases me. Hopefully as time passes, the other states will follow suit.

When I drive, I try to give space to a rider that I can see will filter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Filtering yes. Splitting, I personally wouldn't do. Driver's in NY are way too stupid.

Actually, I would even be concerned while filtering, seriously...these drivers are the absolute worst.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If there's heavy standstill traffic or heavy congestion, I almost always split. Last place I want to end up is trapped and surrounded by distracted drivers in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lane splitting is wonderful. Do it in California quite a bit already. It's been in that gray area for a long time and never enforced (as long as I've seen it)

There are a lot of opinions on both sides but in the end it comes down to this:

Ride smart
Ride within a reasonable speed - I usually don't split over 35-40mph, when cars are stopped or moving super slow I'm probably going more like 15
Ride within your means. You should be consciously viewing the vehicles around you basically expecting them to cut you off. If your reaction time is too slow for the speed you are going either don't split or slow down.

It's really not that hard. You see the videos of the idiots going 60 through a stopped line of cars and that's what everyone assumes we are doing. Honestly it is safer to a point (AMA released a study proving it's actually safer for us, bikes get rear ended a lot in traffic) because it keeps us out of the flow of traffic.

In the end as long as you obey the common sense that SHOULD come with riding a bike in general you'll be fine and end up enjoying splitting. I love it, speeds up my commute and general treks across town.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't care if I get ticketed or not but round these parts during the summer I lane split because I don't want to die in the heat. I do no filter unless there is an idiot around me because I think it would piss someone off unless it was made legal.

Why lane splitting is not legal in TX and most of the USA is beyond my understanding cause there are few places on earth, if any, that don't allow it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If that is the definition, then splitting is just plain stupid to do.
I'm giving a very loose, very generic definition.

By "normal" moving traffic I'm saying anything above like 30mph up to say a low highway speed. You wouldn't want to necessarily "lane split" at 80mph nor will that probably be legal. Stupid depending on how, when and why you do it but can also be safe and good for traffic flow if done correctly.

I still say it's not the act of splitting or filtering we need to worry about: its the people not used to bikers doing it and those living in states that cycles are not a year round thing. It's hard enough in the spring to remind people to remember I'm in my lane much less them remembering I might be riding between them and the car next to them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm giving a very loose, very generic definition.

By "normal" moving traffic I'm saying anything above like 30mph up to say a low highway speed. You wouldn't want to necessarily "lane split" at 80mph nor will that probably be legal. Stupid depending on how, when and why you do it but can also be safe and good for traffic flow if done correctly.

I still say it's not the act of splitting or filtering we need to worry about: its the people not used to bikers doing it and those living in states that cycles are not a year round thing. It's hard enough in the spring to remind people to remember I'm in my lane much less them remembering I might be riding between them and the car next to them.

I'd actually revise it to be filtering is making your way up to the front of traffic when theres a stop involved (stop light, traffic director, etc) because of the quicker accel of the bike, it won't affect others when they start to go. Splitting more in line with your filtering definition: low speed meandering through lower speed traffic.

Just my take, I think the words are ambiguous and really irrelevant as to their specific definitions. The concept of splitting/filtering I think is useful but in the distracted world of driving a little too dangerous.

Couldn't agree with your last sentence more Miweber.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Come to Townsville mate, riding all year round. :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts