Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What states is it legal to do it in.
Here in Cali we are allowed to but which other states is it ok.
Just need to know for reference on planning a trip.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I know it's illegal here in NY. Dont ask me how I know though lol. But I refrain from doing it now unless the traffic is at a dead stop.

edit: Here ya go: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/PrintLaws.html
the bottom of the chart reads: "In California Only, lane splitting is legal. Motorcycles may drive between cars, but not on shoulders. "

·
Registered
180 Posts
Im sure its illegal in MN but that never stops me from doing it when needed :) (focus on when needed, not a squid or d-bag)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Im sure its illegal in MN but that never stops me from doing it when needed :) (focus on when needed, not a squid or d-bag)
Same with me. Ive done it before. It really is useful. but i didn't really need to do it i just did it haha. its fun

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
basically you can't stay between lanes, you have to overtake and if they need the lane you're splitting, you need to give it to them... which is a weird thing to think about really.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
This is from the WisDOT website

Lane splitting

* Operate your motorcycle within a single lane of traffic. White lining or lane splitting is illegal.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Its Illegal in AZ...Unfortunately, they need to just legalize it already!!!
i might be wrong,

but i seem to recall reading

lane splitting is illegal, ie: riding between 2 cars on a 2 lane road

but lane SHARING (2 bikes next to each other) is not in AZ

this was a few years ago when i would have read it how ever, and may have mis-interpreted it

·
Registered
300 Posts
i might be wrong,

but i seem to recall reading

lane splitting is illegal, ie: riding between 2 cars on a 2 lane road

but lane SHARING (2 bikes next to each other) is not in AZ

this was a few years ago when i would have read it how ever, and may have mis-interpreted it
ya i was talking about splitting..going between the cars is illegal. but i think its illegal to even pass another bike in the same lane. is that what your talking about?

·
Registered
157 Posts
ya i was talking about splitting..going between the cars is illegal. but i think its illegal to even pass another bike in the same lane. is that what your talking about?
Ya lane splitting is illegal but what he's saying is when 2 bikes ride next to each other in the same lane. Kind of like you see every motorcycle cop here do. Think the tv show chips haha

Once on a ride we had about 8 of us riding staggard and a freaking motorcycle cop passed each of us within our lanes. Normally that would probably be fine since your usually spaced pretty far but we were riding tight as we were in like a 35. Everyone was like uhhh?

I dunno about passing in the same lane, I *think it's ok as long as the rider in front waves you on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i think in most states one lane is considered two motorcycle lanes and there fore legal to share or pass it's just kind of a ****/squid thing to do to a stranger who hasn't waved you by

1 - 20 of 33 Posts