Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was stuck in traffic on my bike last night. Sitting there waiting patiently. After a few minutes considered zipping down the right side Shoulder to get to my exit.
But, I didn't.
Although it got me to thinking about when I was in California stuck in gridlock traffic and a bike comes blasting inbetween cars. Thinking that must be nice in certain situations.

Not sure I would feel comfortable doing it in moving traffic. Can’t do it in North Carolina anyway.

So for all you CALIFORNIA Riders. Do you Split Lanes.?

And for everyone else, WOULD YOU, if it was legal in your state. ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to lane split in Japan. It was great, because most everyone looked out for bikes. Here in Arkansas I wouldn't even think of it. Too many people on their phones and not paying attention.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
if traffic is moving at about 50-60 mph, i'll just cruise along with it, but when it starts to get to stop and go status, i'll split. i used to be THAT GUY and split going over 80 when traffic is flowing at a nice rate. then i got smart. now i don't go faster than 45 when i split. even though it feels like it's a lot faster when cars are pretty much stopped around you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Only lane split when its stop and go. Otherwise i just go with traffic, a lot of people seem to not really pay attention though. Every now and then i knock on a window "you really didnt see me" then they freak out and slide over some

Sent from my MB855 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
Only if its stop and go. Like goo south on the 5 in the afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I've split when I lived in Japan and I do it here in Italy, but only coming up to an intersection where I expect a wait or when traffic slows to a crawl. If I think the lights are about to change or some other reason that'll let traffic get up to a normal speed soon, I wait because you never know when someone will decide to change lanes or turn. You also might encounter a driver who doesn't want to let you back into a lane. Passing on the right of traffic is a VERY bad idea since cars might get the same idea or just be planning to turn right - you can't see their signal until it's too late sometimes.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think about it all the time, but rarely do. (I'm in NH).

The only way I really cut ahead of traffic is on the side of the road in the break-down lane, and only if I plan on turning at the end of it anyway. I don't go down the middle of the lanes. Too many mirrors, doors, and ignorant people

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
not legal here far as i know. but, i have done it couple times to make sure i get into the right lane i need, or if my turn is 3-4 cars up i'll just ride the shoulder and turn into my turn. usually only go 12-15 mph when doing this though

·
Registered
264 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal here in Utah but the other day I had been getting rained on in traffic for about 45 minutes and was getting pretty anxious to get home. So I split about a 1/4 mile of traffic and cut in front right as traffic starts moving. So I'm moving with traffic at about 20 mph when all of sudden I have a bumper 6 inches from me pushing me into the opposite lane of traffic. The lady I cut in front of was yelling at me out her window as I'm trying to avoid getting hit by her car. After exchanging some harsh words I flipped a U and got the hell away from that lady.

So as much as I would prefer to split when needed I'll avoid it since it seems to aggravate drivers who aren't used to it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i lane split on a regular basis here in southern california. its too valuable for getting somewhere in a reasonable amount of time. if youre gonna travel as a car does, including travelling on the timetable that a car has to, may as well be..

wait for it..

in a car.

duh.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I split here in Cali every day on my commute. Saves me 20-30 minutes a day. This is one of the main reasons I began to ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its not legal where I live but recently I found myself doing it anyway, especially on really hot days and the traffic isn't moving at all. Right up the middle of the lanes! You can see people get pissed and start trying to move toward the center to block you, so it def scares me doing it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yep yep, when it's hot I split. Stop and go only, it's illegal where I live so I check my six before I go. My biggest worry is blowing past a cop and looking like a tool when I get pulled over :cursin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you really think about it, splitting lanes is the safest thing you can do on a bike. Think about sight lines. If you are on the line MORE people can see you. You aren't hidden behind another car. If you are traveling in the center people braking hard is a non-concern. If you pass cautiously and vigilantly the risk is no larger than having someone merge into you in the other lane.

Shooting down like a maniac is dangerous. Not what I'm saying. But traveling 10mph faster than flow of traffic, watching mirrors to see who sees/doesn't see you, getting out of the way and staying where the largest number of people can see you.... Absolutely.

Did it everyday when I lived in Cali. Many days when I lived in FL and when the cop presence is notably low now that I live in VA. My life and simple logic trumps stupid laws. Lane splitting when done responsibly is SAFER.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I split lanes all day everyday since I'm a Home Health Physical Therapy I cover 200mi/day.
Gotta be as safe as possible watch out for them don't expect it to be the other way around saves me hours everyday

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you really think about it, splitting lanes is the safest thing you can do on a bike. Think about sight lines. If you are on the line MORE people can see you. You aren't hidden behind another car. If you are traveling in the center people braking hard is a non-concern. If you pass cautiously and vigilantly the risk is no larger than having someone merge into you in the other lane.

Shooting down like a maniac is dangerous. Not what I'm saying. But traveling 10mph faster than flow of traffic, watching mirrors to see who sees/doesn't see you, getting out of the way and staying where the largest number of people can see you.... Absolutely.

Did it everyday when I lived in Cali. Many days when I lived in FL and when the cop presence is notably low now that I live in VA. My life and simple logic trumps stupid laws. Lane splitting when done responsibly is SAFER.

I agree with this 100 percent

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i wish we could lane split. i ride slighlty faster then the flow of traffic, a moving motorcycle is a safer motorcycle. if you get stuck in a spot for too long, thats when a cage decides that they forgot you were beside them for 20KM and then they want to switch lanes. here in rush hr is about the nmost dangerous riding ive ever done.

·
BOTM winner 11/12
720 Posts
I wish it were legal in VA. Not so that I could act stupid on the highway at speed, but it would really help save my clutch hand in frequent traffic jams... On I95 it's not uncommon to have a 10 mile, 45 minute back up, because a cop pulled someone over for a speeding ticket and every a-hole wants to stop and rubberneck them as they pass.

How many states is splitting legal in?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts