Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was taking apart my AIM transmitter to replace the batteries and found this:

Needless to say, I'm taking the opportunity to grab a new lap timer. What are you guys using? I don't want anything overly sophisticated, user-friendly is key and a GPS unit is preferred.

I see a couple of options at STG:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=39833 <- Never heard of this brand before

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=33906

My local store has this one in stock:

http://bluestreakracing.ca/laptimers/stealth-gps3-lap-timer-with-track-mapping.html

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
I've seen some people with the XT Racing GPX Pro. it works well but the unit is quite big.

My brother use QStarz LT-Q6000
http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/LT-Q6000-F.html
But he always have to start it manually on each session. it could be a user error as they are supposed to be able to store track location and start automatically.

I'm a fan of the Starlane unit.
I have the Starlane Athon XS which is a step above the Stealth.
Picture of install and video are here and in my youtube page
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392145&page=3

It works awesomely. You do 2 laps for it to learn the track and after that all you got to do is start riding and it will automatically start timing once it sees that you're on one of the stored track.

The Stealth works exactly the same way.

No need to press any button.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was doing some Googling and came across the LT-Q6000, got a little excited about it and then I saw your post. :( lol

What is the cable sticking out of the stealth model for? Power source? I don't plan on using any expansion modules.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks man, I did some review research on the Starlane Stealth and there seems to be some software issues and I'm not sure if they have sorted it out by now or not. Also their software is not Mac friendly and I don't want to buy another laptop/tablet/etc.

Anyone have any experience with Harry's Lap Timer for iPhones/iPods?
Thinking of grabbing a cheap iPod from eBay and downloading the App for a cool $20.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
The problem with Android or iOS device lap timer is the the GPS on the devices are only 1Hz which means it only picks up your location once every second.

Resulting in an inaccurate data.

You can go around this by using external Bluetooth GPS received like http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/BT-Q818XT-F.htm

But it doesn't seem to work with iOS device. The combo that I know works well is QStarz BT-Q818XT + Android Phone + Racechrono App.

I use Mac as well and to analyse the data I installed Windows 7 VM using VMWare Fusion. Works really well.

Stand Alone GPS Lap timer are 10Hz so it picks up your location 10 times a second.

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
The combo that I know works well is QStarz BT-Q818XT + Android Phone + Racechrono App.
Yep, this is what is used by most people here as well. Personally I just use the Garmin GLO gps instead of the Qstarz and still works like a charm. Chose the Garmin unit as it also supports GLONASS satellites so it could lock on more sattelites than other units.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I went the cheap route and picked up a new beacon for $50.

Quick question for you guys, Does it matter where the IR receiver is located on the bike? Will the receiver have a hard time picking up the signal if it's tucked in the fairing?
Does it have to be levelled with the beacon as well?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm using Harry's lap timer, and it works well. It has most tracks preloadable which has points of interest on gps. It automatically starts and records laps when passing the start/finish line. I haven't seen the need for a dedicated lap timer yet as i'm just doing track days and my times are still a little inconsistent due to traffic and what not.

What I do like is being able to overlay lap info over external and internal video. That feature is what sold me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I went the cheap route and picked up a new beacon for $50.

Quick question for you guys, Does it matter where the IR receiver is located on the bike? Will the receiver have a hard time picking up the signal if it's tucked in the fairing?
Does it have to be levelled with the beacon as well?
IR requires line of sight so you should have the receiver unobstructed. I mounted mine with some Velcro on the bottom of the windscreen. That way it can be turned around depending on track direction.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i'd be interested in the moto-d lap timer but my local track isn't loaded up..

·
Registered
100 Posts
i'd be interested in the moto-d lap timer but my local track isn't loaded up..
95% of all Motorcycle Racetracks come preloaded on the MOTO-D Motorcycle GPS Lap Timer.

If your track isn't listed, making track maps is fun and takes approx. 20 seconds at home on a PC.

Can you guess this track?

For more info visit: www.motodracing.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen some people with the XT Racing GPX Pro. it works well but the unit is quite big.

My brother use QStarz LT-Q6000

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/LT-Q6000-F.html

But he always have to start it manually on each session. it could be a user error as they are supposed to be able to store track location and start automatically.

I'm a fan of the Starlane unit.

I have the Starlane Athon XS which is a step above the Stealth.

Picture of install and video are here and in my youtube page

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392145&page=3

It works awesomely. You do 2 laps for it to learn the track and after that all you got to do is start riding and it will automatically start timing once it sees that you're on one of the stored track.

The Stealth works exactly the same way.

No need to press any button.
I've got the Qstarz last track day it only picked up one session ( I generally turn it on after 3rd or 4th, is this the issue your brother other had ? I thought I mustn't have charger it properly ???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
I've got the Qstarz last track day it only picked up one session ( I generally turn it on after 3rd or 4th, is this the issue your brother other had ? I thought I mustn't have charger it properly ???

We figured out how to save tracks into the unit and now he can start it from the pit.

We only ever had issue when there is thick cloud above us. At which point any GPS lap timer seems to struggle getting a lock to the satellite.

The easiest way to get around it is to start it outside of the pit so you can see the sky and let it get a good lock.

Also make sure the unit can always see the sky; therefore don't put it on the tank as your body will block it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We figured out how to save tracks into the unit and now he can start it from the pit.

We only ever had issue when there is thick cloud above us. At which point any GPS lap timer seems to struggle getting a lock to the satellite.

The easiest way to get around it is to start it outside of the pit so you can see the sky and let it get a good lock.

Also make sure the unit can always see the sky; therefore don't put it on the tank as your body will block it.

Ok I actually put in the hump of my suit ( we're not allowed to time in Aus ?) it worked fine the last few times just not the most recent. I might try restarting it each session next week

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm mainly interested in a lap timer as a learning tool. So far I've been using Harry's laptimer and I would like to understand what MOTO-D GPS Next and Speedangle can do better for $500, other then the >10Hz tracking of course.

- I like to check my riding after each session. Harry's laptimer makes it very easy since it's just an iphone app. Unless I bring a laptop to the track I don't think I can use speedangle or GPS Next until I go back home. At which point I will hardly remember what happened during each session.

- I would like to compare my riding with an expert rider data. So overlay my recording and expert throttle/break/angle data to show where I'm losing time exactly.

- Any other coach-like use I can make it of the more expensive lap timer please let me know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts