Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing as how i am gettin addicted to trackdays...

was wondering what the dotnet community opinions are on what kind of lap timer to get, recommendations?
also if you have one, post up what you got and your likes and dislikes are about it.
price and where you got it if possible.

there are so many types out there, it confuses me!:all_cohol

thanks!

-Slaps

·
Registered
543 Posts
yes this is something id like to know about also. how does it work? do u have to press a start/stop button everylap? how does it know a lap is over

·
Registered
820 Posts
XT TIMER is the way to go i have done research and more research and it all comes to the same conclusion if you have the money an expensive gps timer is the way to go ... however an xt is cost effective all you have to buy is the reciever "the timer" most people have the transmitter and will set it up at the track .... but it is delayed as much as a second off sometimes but even that gives a good idea....
there is a patch for old nokia gps enabled phones but i have a similar patch for my iphone and it sucks big time so then i checked with some garmin products...wellllll

i was sold on the garmin stuff untill i learned that for it to be accurate you must enter the distance to travel now this can vary each lap being that one lap your on the line the next your passing people so i.e..... could be off ruffly 1.7 feet per second traveling 120mph if my math is correct so at the end of the lap you could have added up 100 feet and throw the time way off could be faster times could be slower times depends on the line!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
a laptimer is a great tool as long as you use it for learning. I've seen a few guys go down chasing laptimes getting in over their head too soon.

I use mine to determine if things I try are leading to improvements. IE: Suspension, nothing feels better than coming in and not feeling like you worked hard and seeing that you turned the best lap time or, lines, same as above.

I've had two XT's and unfortunately, both broke. The wiring kept coming loose.

Currently using the Aim Mychron. Seems to be good thus far but I hate the fact that it has to be turned on manually. The XT came on automatically.

Also, the XT uses an AA battery while the mychron uses those flat watch like batteries you can only find in the mall in a specialty stores.

You can always find a used laptimer on WERA for like 150 bucks.

+1 on not needing a beacon. There is always one at the track.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XT TIMER is the way to go i have done research and more research and it all comes to the same conclusion if you have the money an expensive gps timer is the way to go ... however an xt is cost effective all you have to buy is the reciever "the timer" most people have the transmitter and will set it up at the track .... but it is delayed as much as a second off sometimes but even that gives a good idea....
there is a patch for old nokia gps enabled phones but i have a similar patch for my iphone and it sucks big time so then i checked with some garmin products...wellllll

i was sold on the garmin stuff untill i learned that for it to be accurate you must enter the distance to travel now this can vary each lap being that one lap your on the line the next your passing people so i.e..... could be off ruffly 1.7 feet per second traveling 120mph if my math is correct so at the end of the lap you could have added up 100 feet and throw the time way off could be faster times could be slower times depends on the line!
a laptimer is a great tool as long as you use it for learning. I've seen a few guys go down chasing laptimes getting in over their head too soon.

I use mine to determine if things I try are leading to improvements. IE: Suspension, nothing feels better than coming in and not feeling like you worked hard and seeing that you turned the best lap time or, lines, same as above.

I've had two XT's and unfortunately, both broke. The wiring kept coming loose.

Currently using the Aim Mychron. Seems to be good thus far but I hate the fact that it has to be turned on manually. The XT came on automatically.

Also, the XT uses an AA battery while the mychron uses those flat watch like batteries you can only find in the mall in a specialty stores.

You can always find a used laptimer on WERA for like 150 bucks.

+1 on not needing a beacon. There is always one at the track.
thanks for the info gents.

yes, i want to use the laptimer as you suggested rayzor. im not trying to chase times. although reality tells me i will once in awhile. i do wanna use it to help me get better the more i ride. im no racer, so i dont care what my laptimes are. i am not gonna be breaking any kind of records that for sure. all i care about is if i get to lower it, which for the most part will tell me my riding may be in fact getting better. now i do plan on tuning the bike more...electronics wise with a bazzaz and then concentrate on suspension. the plan is to get a rear aftermarket shock and fork internals to start with and get it setup for my weight and riding style. i know different tracks will vary and so will the setup. which im learning about on my own.

but going back to the laptimer...that is my goal...to see how im improving with myself and with what i do to the bike versus the times i log each lap.

thanks for your comments and opinions gents. greatly appreciated.
i think ill give the XT ultra timer a shot.

keep em coming. im not the only on this forum learning. :all_cohol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Another one to look into would be the AIM/MyChron Light TG lap timer.

"The MyChron Light TG lap timer is a compact digital lap timer designed for motorcycle and auto racing. It's a portable lap timer that mounts "on board" on the handlebars of a motorcycle or the dash of a race car.

MyChron lap timers have been considered standard equipment in motorcycle racing for nearly a decade. Now the new MyChron Light TG has set yet a new standard with unparalleled power, function and ease of use. The MyChron Light TG is perfect for motorcycle road racing, motocross, auto racing and more - anywhere a compact, reliable lap timer is needed."

There great units with a lot of features for $279.00usd.

Best Regards,
[email protected]

·
Registered
94 Posts
interesting...

keep em coming. that price for the MyChron is pretty steep for a timer.
Well its one of the most sophisticated lap timers on the market.
This post may get long but here's the info on this one.

MyChron Light TG

The MyChron Light TG lap timer is a compact digital lap timer designed for motorcycle and auto racing. It's a portable lap timer that mounts "on board" on the handlebars of a motorcycle or the dash of a race car.
MyChron lap timers have been considered standard equipment in motorcycle racing for nearly a decade. Now the new MyChron Light TG has set yet a new standard with unparalleled power, function and ease of use. The MyChron Light TG is perfect for motorcycle road racing, motocross, auto racing and more - anywhere a compact, reliable lap timer is needed.

The Display: Big, Bold and a Thing of Beauty

The advanced pixel-based display uses fonts visible with 20/20 vision at 40 feet. Combined with a display angle of +/- 45 degrees, and you've got a display that cannot be missed - no matter how fast you're going.

Your choice of color: high contrast green LCD or brilliant blue backlight. The high luminosity blue display will astonish you with its brilliance and clarity (requires 12V power).

"One benefit of the segment system is to help teams better analyze bike set-up and make competitive adjustments by isolating distinct sections of a race track. For example, a team can determine how its rider is doing specifically in the whoop section compared to other riders. “From an informational standpoint, segment times are an accurate way to determine a rider’s specific strengths and whether or not adjustments are needed.”
--Conrad Young, AMA Supercross/Motocross Timing and Scoring Manager. Full article.
When used with dedicated optical beacons, you can have up to 5 split times (segments). By dividing the track into segments, you can analyze performace through certain sections to optimize bike set up and driving techniques. The split times will tell you which section - straightaway, curves, whoops, etc - is slowing you down the most so you can improve it. By using the TG track split times as you practice, you'll be able to directly compare your race data.

The MyChron Light TG lap timer manages split times in three ways: Accumulative, Variation, and Sector. Accumulative Split Time shows the total time elapsed at the split. Variation Split Time shows the difference (variation) between the current split time and the previous split time, so you can see how you are progressing through that segment. Sector Split Time shows shows the time for each split (sector) as you go. Download the product manual to learn more about how this works.

Session Modes
Choose the session mode that fits: Lap, Qualify or Race Mode. The default mode is Lap, which shows an incremental lap counter. Qualify mode displays the remaining time until the end of the session. Race mode shows how many laps remain in the race.

Now You See Them - Now You Don't

Smart menus and button labels change as needed for ease of use. Our design and usability experts have spent hundreds of hours studying and designing display layouts to ensure drivers have just what they need, and nothing more to clutter things up.

Make it Your Own
A pixel-based display means you can customize the display however you like, including the display of custom graphics, logos and images. The 128 x 64 pixel display is 2.4" x 1.3" (61 x 31 mm). Upload your team logo to display every time the Light TG lap timer starts up.

Dissection 101
Drop the scalpel and grab some more throttle. Preset soft button configurations (smart buttons) provide easy access to custom views and options in a hurry.

Lap Times Leveraged
The TG Lap Timer includes an integrated Clock and Calendar that puts an indelible time and date stamp on every lap of every session, so you have a solid performance data archive. You also attach a track names to laps. Compare lap times on the same track from month to month, year to year.

Data Review
With 128 kb of memory, the TG lap timer can store up to 1200 laps in memory. The TG's non-volatile memory retains data in memory even when the power is off. Review your data on screen or within our Light Analyzer software (optional). A powerful internal database manages laps and can store up to 50 track names. Onscreen display review items include: best laps, time and date, Best of the Best, Theoretical Best and Best Rolling. Display modes include table and histogram.

USB Download
The optional USB (300 kb/s) cable allows you to download the data from the TG lap timer to your PC for archiving and analysis with our Light Analyzer software. The USB connection also allows you upload firmware upgrades from your PC to the TG. Download the product manual to learn more about how this works.

Safe and Secure
The TG has a generous 128 kb of non-volatile memory, enough for 2000 laps. Non-volatile memory means your data is saved even when the batteries are out. Use track subdirectories to organize your laps and get to them quickly. Internal power comes from included "coin" batteries at 6V, or from external 12V power.

What Do I Get?
The MyChron Light TG lap timer comes with the display, IR sensor/receiver, and IR beacon/transmitter. The kit is ready for race day whether you are racing super moto, road course motorcycles, oval cars or road course autos. An optional download kit with USB download cable and Light Analyzer software is available.

Unlike other systems that have an extra button on the handlebars that you press each lap, the TG reads an optic (infra-red) beacon placed at the side of the track for a consistent and accurate timing every time. Use additional beacons around the track to mark your segments. The IR beacons share a common frequency, enabling racers to share a set of beacons on the track for easy comparison. Unlike embedded magnetic strips, the IR beacons are compact and portable.

Need More Power?
The MyChron Light TG Log adds on a full data logger with 8 MB of memory and four input channels: RPM, temp, speed and throttle.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
opp...that is a badass lap timer! wow!

im liking the part about improving showing what each time is per segment. so does that mean if i were to get this bad boy, i would have to purchase more beacons and place them on each corner to record times from point A corner to point B corner??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ive got a couple XT laptimers at the shop.
shoot me a price via pm on this and you can consider one of them sold, which model is it?? the ultra w/o the beacon or the kit with the beacon?

xt ultra laptimers? whats the homie pricing? pm me mang.

im liking the part about improving showing what each time is per segment. so does that mean if i were to get this bad boy, i would have to purchase more beacons and place them on each corner to record times from point A corner to point B corner??
I want a lap timer just to see what taking the cr's advice will do for me & of course its going to help show if your getting better or worse by trying different things.

I've been researching these for a couple weeks now & i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go w/ the xt ultra myself, they are the best bang for the buck, hold a crap load of laps & you can also set it up to where it tells you from one point to the other like the one above (buying more beacons) not mention i like the aluminum casing for a lil bit more of crash protection

·
Registered
94 Posts

For you to get the segmented times you would have to have additional beacons wherever you wanted to have your times segmented.

The kit comes with one beacon and any additional beacon is $50.00usd. The price adds up quickly if you want to get as much out of the unit as you can but it is worth it if you are a hard core track day enthusiast or racer.

Best Regards,
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Disco hooked it up again after a last min order and i got it just in time for tomorrows TD. Install is pretty straight forward. One to positive of battery terminal and another to ground. MOre to follow after tomorrows test..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts