Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda shop just told me not to worry about my smoking RR because all the bikes they've heard of that smoked, finally got 'fully broken in' and stopped smoking at 5 or 6 thousand kilometers (that's 3 to 4 thousand Miles)... Does this sound like 'DealerSpeak' to shut me up, or have any of you had bikes that actually stopped smoking after a while?

·
Registered
881 Posts
True! It's the same as cars. When people complain to their dealers about their cars, they tell the customer the same thing. It takes a while for the rings to seal properly. The allowable tolerances is 1 quart every 1000 mile. Anything more excessive after a few thousand miles, then you should complain and take it to a few dealers, where if they need some money, they'll get you a motor and cover it under warranty. Now do you really want them taking your bike apart is another question. If that dealer is that really hard up for money, there must be a reason, so you may want to think twice.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They say it is common for the bikes to smoke? I broke mine in the Moto Tune way, now have 6k on it, and never had a bit of smoke I am aware of. Even had it on the track 2 weekends ago, rappin the $hit out of it, and nothin>>>>>>>>> sounds funny 2 me

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tyrebuster, lots of these bikes have been burning a bit of oil right out of the box. I broke mine in á là the manual and it smokes under hard acceleration. Whether a Motune break in would have stopped the problem is moot... the issue (besides the fact that it shouldn't happen, regardless of break in routine) is whether it could possibly stop smoking after 4000 miles!
Moto'freak, Honda does not officially acknowledge that there is a problem so contacting them doesn't help. They have a bunch of trumped up statistics about what the 'acceptable' amount of oil consumption is before they consider the engine to be defective when the REAL issue is "Hey mofo's... I paid for a new bike and it shouldn't smoke... none of your competitor's bike's smoke"...

·
Registered
10 Posts
i took care in breaking in my bike the way the manual says as well. i have almost 6000 miles now and it still smokes. :???:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Get it in writing and when you pass the break in and it still smokes take it back to them and say hey, WTF now fix it. ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
when you guys say "smoke" is that actually white smoke coming from the muffler or just the smell of smoke from the manifolds?

H

·
0 Posts
mine burns oil... at least i think it still does... i am at about 3500 miles... ehh.. i am not happy about it, but it is something that i have come to deal with... i am not going to spend my time fighting to have them give me a new motor... when it might do the same thing... to me that would be a whole lot of wasted riding time with the bike out of commision... just my 0.02

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Track your oil USAGE from oil change to oil change. If your USING oil then you have a problem to worry about. It's most likely a fuel dump that your seeing on heavy acceleration or deceleration. I saw mine do it on the Dyno and was like ...:wtf: The next run I sampled the smoke and it was fuel. Not oil. Keep in mind that Honda sets the ECU to run a little bit rich just for safety reasons. Have the ECU remapped (PCIII) and the smoke should go away.

BTW, if your over 1,000 miles and haven't seated the rings, you've got problems. That dealer is talking out his a$$ if you have 3 - 4k miles and haven't seated them by now. I think your rings are fine. Their just trying to delay your warranty claim for one reason or another.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds to me like stall tactics.

I don't own a RR but I'll assume that, like most other bikes, it comes with a one year warranty. I'll go on to say that i think that quite a few riders don't get to 3 or 4k miles in the first year.

Having said that, if the dealer can get you to wait till you hit the 3 or 4 k mark and your bike still smoke, he can tell you "So sorry, warranty expired, do not pass go, do not collect 200$".

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NewRedRider, yeah, it uses oil... I have to add a couple of times between oil changes to keep the level between the lines. And yes, I'm well over 1,000 miles so even my rudimentary knowledge of engines agrees with you that it ain't gonna seal now.... that said snowman above seems to have had good luck...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine will smoke until the engine gets up to temperature. I'm assuming that the rings retract and expand alot under temperature changes. As far as getting "blow by" that can be predicted and mesured, I would definitely consider that to be a problem. A compression test should tell you whether it will affect the life span of the engine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My bike smokes, i aint bothered, there is a 2 year warrenty on it...........Had all the dealer checks and services (and recalls) (5.5K MILES, not clicks on the clock now), if anything goes wrong, back to the dealer it will go

Smokes only when its cold though.........................get it HOT and its sorted !! runs good, accelarates good no problems wiv it !! wouldnt worry about it ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
mine doesnt smoke at all. I didnt ride it gingerly but didnt follow the motune method. I rode it somewhat hard, maybe up to 10k rpm for the first 1000 miles.
sort of the same here
could'nt help myself when i got my rr, many a time a rode it hard during the run in
ive never had a problem with it smoking, burning oil or anything

·
Registered
947 Posts
Took my RR to the track with 0.1 miles. No smoke here. Just finished 2000 track miles still without any smoke or other problems. I bought a Honda so I don't have to worry about this and that. I service my own bike, but don't spend too much time worrying, just riding. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about... bunch of guys getting on this thread saying 'no smoke' whether they beat it or babied it... that says to me that there's a problem with mine if it's smoking and it p*sses me off that Honda's pretending it's not a problem....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts