Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, everyone so i got my bike a few months ago, ive only had it out 4 times and everything has been great so far... besides my left fork leaking. My mx background has taught me alot about inverted forks and i know usually its the fork seals that go. but its appears it is leaking form the bottom of the fork.

Is this possible? what are the causes and how to i go about fixing it? thanks

pic attached to make things clear.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Im pretty sure its leaking from your seals and then the oil is running down the fork. Replace the seals and that should take care of it.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Unfortunately if its leaking from there your stuffed... those two pieces don't come apart.

But socal is probably right - check your seals.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am having the same problem with my bike, I just changed my fork seals. Went for a ride, nothing was leaking. went for a longer ride, and it appears air/oil is coming up from the bottom very slowly, little air bubbles form. Doesn't appear that any oil has came through the top seal at all

·
Registered
541 Posts
Unfortunately if its leaking from there your stuffed... those two pieces don't come apart.
They do in fact come apart.

OP.. I would suspect that your fork seal/s are leaking, you need to confirm this by cleaning the tube and dust seal and inspecting to see if you can see any trace of oil on the chrome tube and dust seal after a ride.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I am having the same problem with my bike, I just changed my fork seals. Went for a ride, nothing was leaking. went for a longer ride, and it appears air/oil is coming up from the bottom very slowly, little air bubbles form. Doesn't appear that any oil has came through the top seal at all
Wipe tehm clean and keep riding. You may be looking at old fork oil that wasn't fully cleaned off. Sometimes it takes a few rides to sort it all out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im pretty sure its leaking from your seals and then the oil is running down the fork. Replace the seals and that should take care of it.
Mine was like that and I definitely was the seals. The oil just runs down just like the red lines show on your picture. So, just get your seals replaced.

Also, if youre lucky, there may just be a bit of dirt in between the seal and the tube causing a slight opening for the oil to leak out. If you want to check that out, slide the dust seal down then run a small screwdriver/etc. the whole way around. If theres dirt inbetween there this will take it out without tearing the front end apart.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine was like that and I definitely was the seals. The oil just runs down just like the red lines show on your picture. So, just get your seals replaced.

Also, if youre lucky, there may just be a bit of dirt in between the seal and the tube causing a slight opening for the oil to leak out. If you want to check that out, slide the dust seal down then run a small screwdriver/etc. the whole way around. If theres dirt inbetween there this will take it out without tearing the front end apart.
better yet invest on a $5 tool...that's what i did, took care of my weeping seal...you can get it at cyclegear...

http://sealmate.net/instructions.html

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yeah, they do come apart,,it's not easy though....generally need to be heated up...done this countless times chroming forks....
X2
The chrome part usually screws into the lower part of the fork and is held in with some retaining compound. Thats why you need to heat it to remove it, to break down the retaining compound. If you have new seals, and it still leaks, you can try to remove the chrome tube & put more retaining compound and/or loctite in there, or hand it over to a suspension professional.

Good luck OP.

----------------
Listening to: Taylor Swift - Enchanted via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
541 Posts
better yet invest on a $5 tool...that's what i did, took care of my weeping seal...you can get it at cyclegear...

http://sealmate.net/instructions.html
You could also use an old film negative with a hook shape cut into the end of it.. If you have some lying around.

But saying that.. I would be more worried about how that dirt or whatever got into the oil seal.. :ponder: Did it get past the dust seal?.. or did it come from inside the fork? ( If you have ever seen the crap what can build up inside a fork with not much milage on it you would know what im saying)

Maybe your forks need a good service.. or are the bushings starting to **** themselves and are needing to be replaced before they chew into the chrome tubes. A "Complete" strip down, inspect and clean is whats really needed. jmo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts