Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the problem. I havent checked on my bike sitting tucked in the garage for about a month now. I went out there today and WTF! Theres green liquid underneath the bike! I looked at the bottom of the bike but couldnt tell where it was coming from, so im hoping you will all know the problem just from the pics of the liquid. >.<

Its green (obviously). I got the bike last summer and its my first bike, so bear with me as I'm pretty nubbish at this. Any help?

If you need any more pics of the area or the underside of the bike just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats sorta what I was thinking. Know where the coolant and/or anti-freeze would be leaking from by any chance? Id prefer not to drive her, but the snow is melted off the roads so a trip to the local dealership isnt entirely out of the question.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Check your coolant reservoir for overflow. If the coolant reservoir is full it would leak out of the coolant reservoir overflow tube. That is next to your kickstand.
coolant reservoir is on the right side if your on the bike under the lower fairing.

If it not coming for the overflow tube. More then likely you have a bad o-ring on the thermostat housing.
I had is issues after I left my bike in the cold but you need to inspect it and find out where its coming form.

·
Registered
110 Posts
well first step would be to look at your radiator and see if thats your problem. than id start by checking the line that connects to your reserve to your radiator. its the top line than starts right under your radaitor cap and runs down to ur reserve tank

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Check your coolant reservoir for overflow. If the coolant reservoir is full it would leak out of the coolant reservoir overflow tube. Thats is next to your kickstand.
coolant reservoir is on the left side if your on the bike under the lower fairing.
i dont know what year your bike is but if it is 07+ this is wrong, it is on the right side (brake side)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
If not a rat you might just have a prankster pouring coolant on the ground

·
fall down 7times get up 8
1,479 Posts
Thats sorta what I was thinking. Know where the coolant and/or anti-freeze would be leaking from by any chance? Id prefer not to drive her, but the snow is melted off the roads so a trip to the local dealership isnt entirely out of the question.
your answer might be right there
how cold did your bike get when it was snowing? ie. inside warm well insulated garage or just normal garage that dropped to very low temps? might have expanded & broken a gasket @ the least. or you have loose hose w/the fluid cooling system

for your sake i hope it's not the case, but a lot of peeps find out this way that they didn't have enough antifreeze or something that would protect your bike down to the temps. it may have been exposed to.

not a mechanic but been riding for over 20 yrs.
that's my best guess

·
Registered
407 Posts
eww ee. def check your thermostat.along with getting a flashlight and looking for any dryrot or holes.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
It definitely looks like coolant. Some synth oils are green in colour but that looks a tad thin to be oil. When was the last time your coolant was changed? Has your bike been running at a high operating temperature lately?

Either way, and as others have said, check the following:
- Coolant overflow bottle level and overflow hose for moisture (this will give you an idea of whether it's just been some overflow).
- Radiator and coolant hoses for leaks, tears or loose connections

If it's been particularly cold and your anti-freeze mixture isn't strong enough then this may have caused a burst pipe or radiator. Before the really cold weather comes, it's essential to at least check your coolant mixture. Some people, if not using their bike, will empty the coolant out completely to prevent this type of thing happening an just fill it up when they start to use the bike again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
they make dyes you can put in your radiator and you can locate the leak pretty easy. just follow the dye. had to do this in cars numerous times.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
oi yoi yoi guys... slow down...!

Your very first thing to do when looking for a leak source is to trace it. taking off the fairings was on the right track to finding it.

Let the man tell you where it's coming from before you start whooping and hollering about stuff, ok? please?

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
oi yoi yoi guys... slow down...!

Your very first thing to do when looking for a leak source is to trace it. taking off the fairings was on the right track to finding it.

Let the man tell you where it's coming from before you start whooping and hollering about stuff, ok? please?
He doesn't even know where to look for signs of a leak though. We are telling him where to look and asking pertinent questions. The only whooping and hollering going on here has been caused by the ants that you somehow got in your pants.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If he can't follow a simple trail of coolant and look for hanging droplets of something and tell us, it's coming from HERE... just relax. let him come to us with info before we start pouring on the what ifs.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Whatever man. I think it's kind of insulting the intelligence of the op to suggest that he noticed a pool of fluid under his bike and didn't immediately think to find out where it's coming from. He came here to find out where to look because he didn't know what it was or where it was coming from.

He also told us that it has been snowing. If he's in the UK, where it has been snowing a lot recently and temps have been as low as -15c, then it's entirely possible that his fluid might have frozen and caused something to burst or crack.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts