Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Yesterday I was in the process of taking off my front fairings to install my HID's (which are amazing!!!) and I noticed the inside of my lower fairing was completely covered in oil as was the bottom of the engine. IT WAS EVERYWHERE!!
So I got out my trusty bottle of de-greaser and sprayed the inside of the fairing and the bottom of the engine.
I also checked my oil filter (which Honda changed) and my oil drain plug. Neither of which were loose at all. I ran my finger along the entire gasket on the bottom of the engine and I didn't feel any irregularities in it. So I finished my install of my HID's and went on a ride.

When I got back home I check my bike again. There was oil on my clutch cover,the right side of my swingarm and my right shoe. It only comes out on the right side...

:tard:I'm puzzled?!?!:tard:

My oil light is not on and I check the oil level constantly, its half way up the viewing glass...

I have gone down on my right side once at like 5mph (took a turn with cold tires and it just slid out from under me) but I had (still do) Motovation No-cut Frame sliders. One of my buddies told me that because it is a no-cut that they could have pushed the engine over a couple Millimeters and that could have shifted my gasket or I could have a hair line crack somewhere...

Well basically what I’m asking is what can I do? Would my accident have caused this to happen? I have the extended warranty should I take my bike in?
The reason I haven't taken her in yet, is because I lost my job in Dec. when I got hit by a drunk driver head on in my Jeep Wrangler and injured my right knee.
So no Job = no money...

Any help you guys can give me is appreciated.

THANKS,
John (relic06) :wave:

P.S. Just put my bike in my garage because there calling for snow. I rubbed my finger across my clutch cover and the oil was back again and my bike had a burning smell when I shut it off. Also i think there was metal in the oil.
(its 5:51am here and I can't sleep because im worried about my baby:sad3: )

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would take off your lowers and your upper and lower right mids, clean everything up really well, then start the bike and see what happens. You may have had a puddle of oil in your fairings that leaked out of the fill cap when youdropped your bike. A little bit of oil can make a huge mess.

FWIW, I dropped mine on the right side on the track at about 100 mph, right on the frame slider. No issues.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
idk? how could i check? im still kinda newish to working on bikes...

my forks dont feel any different.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump...anyone else had this problem my bike has 6573 miles on it forgot to post that
I search the forum the only thing i saw was problems from "break-in"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't have any ideas that you can use to fix it yourself, unless you can find the source of the leak.. My recommendation is that you take it to a place that you trust for repairs, as you have the warranty, and let them check it out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would but its gonna be snowing and icing for three days...

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
as posted above either fork seals or somewhere on the motor. either clean it real well and see if you can find out the source or take it somewhere with warranty work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeah take the fairings off and see where it comes from, it might have got double gasketed on the oil filter if you said they just changed it for you I've seen that happen a couple of times

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah take the fairings off and see where it comes from, it might have got double gasketed on the oil filter if you said they just changed it for you I've seen that happen a couple of times
so what now? double gasket-ed?
i thought oil filters had O rings on them like cars?

·
Registered
527 Posts
They have a gasket on them and sometimes when you take the oil filter off, the gasket stays on and nobody checks the oil filter. Then when they put the new oil filter on there are two gaskets which can cause an oil leak. I did that once... my bad!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Definately need to find the leak before you can fix anything. If a fork seal was leaking, ( which cold temperatures seem to help them leak) You would see the oil rumming down the fork slider.

If the motor is leaking... doubt that it will be covered under warranty. Once you fint it, let us know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guy ill do that after work

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
def. not my oil filter or my bolt...

i think its coming from the bottom right of my clutch cover???

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope bought brand new!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the O-Ring on the oil cap on the right side of the bike. My friend had this problem with oil all over the right side of his bike & couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I pulled off the little oil cap cover & he was missing the O-Ring. We replaced it (10¢ part), cleaned the oil off the bike, took it for a long ride & everything was fine (no more leaking oil). Hope your fix is as cheap & easy as his. Good Luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
checking....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts