Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a lightech res cover and I swear it leaks. Some brake fluid got on my puig screen and ate up some of the paint. Anyone else have this cap and run into the same issue? Only think I could think to do is remove this plasitc ring that was in the cap. Hate to think unwasted money on a cap that fails a very basic task.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Nope haven't had the issue but the cap needs to be airtight, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it sucks the moisture out of the air, after a while all that water is going to rust the inside of the brake system leading to failure.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Im not sure what the light tech MC cover looks light, but I had an issue and it ate my ram air cover paint including the tabs. I re-checked what might be the issue and the rubber seal wasn't on correctly. Make sure everything is in right and flush to make it air tight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cap is a tight as I can turn it. I haven't ridden it since i took out the plastic piece that came with the cap. I think maybe the "new spots" of brake fluid on my screen may have been there all long and i just never saw them. I that in incident where the cap wasn't on right and that blew most of the fluid onto the screen. Im gonna keep an eye on it, if it continues ill put the stock back on.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
was your original reservoir cover or reservoir scratched or hit before you replaced it for another one?

if so, ANY cause of variation with the alignment will cause small gaps in between the cap and the reservoir and the bolts which will cause the break fluid to leak.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The cap is a tight as I can turn it. I haven't ridden it since i took out the plastic piece that came with the cap. I think maybe the "new spots" of brake fluid on my screen may have been there all long and i just never saw them. I that in incident where the cap wasn't on right and that blew most of the fluid onto the screen. Im gonna keep an eye on it, if it continues ill put the stock back on.
if it continues to leak, make sure you haven't overfilled the master cylinder reservoir with too much break fluid. it could be as simple as that. wipe everything off very well and tighten the cap back on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was your original reservoir cover or reservoir scratched or hit before you replaced it for another one?

if so, ANY cause of variation with the alignment will cause small gaps in between the cap and the reservoir and the bolts which will cause the break fluid to leak.
No it's never been damaged. Is it possible to overtighten the cap so much that the black float/seal gets creased? I the only difference between the oem cap and the lightech is that the lightech does twist down as much. It's wierd to think that it does work right , it's not
like lightech is cheap

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it continues to leak, make sure you haven't overfilled the master cylinder reservoir with too much break fluid. it could be as simple as that. wipe everything off very well and tighten the cap back on.
It's not overfilled. I drained the res so the level is between the high and low.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
No it's never been damaged. Is it possible to overtighten the cap so much that the black float/seal gets creased? I the only difference between the oem cap and the lightech is that the lightech does twist down as much. It's wierd to think that it does work right , it's not
like lightech is cheap
chances are, it's not the cap you bought, something went wrong during the assembly perhaps.

it's hard to tell when you can't see it, but everything needs to be aligned perfectly. the only other thing I can think of for the time being, is lossening the brake reservoir and sliding it to a more upright position so it's perfectly level and flat. are you sure you didn't cross the threading while putting it on? and where exaclty is it leaking from?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chances are, it's not the cap you bought, something went wrong during the assembly perhaps.

it's hard to tell when you can't see it, but everything needs to be aligned perfectly. the only other thing I can think of for the time being, is lossening the brake reservoir and sliding it to a more upright position so it's perfectly level and flat. are you sure you didn't cross the threading while putting it on? and where exaclty is it leaking from?
I'm pretty sure it's not cross threaded. The seal sits flush to the eye. I think I'm a bit paranoid at this point.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
the paint on the master cylinder will get striped right off from break fluid unless it's completely wiped up quickly.

I've come to the conclusion that if you put your stock reservoir cover on and it stops leaking, then yeah, it might be your aftermarket one that just doesn't fit right. if you find that it's now leaking with your stock cap on, you know that something has went wrong with your installation. if that's the case, posting pictures may be a good idea so we can help diagnose the problem for you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did a little experiment. I rubberbanded a papertowel to the res and rode home from work and I could
not find any sign fluid on the towel. I doubt it dried while riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts