Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys ride a bumpy road/ potholes etc. while at an extreme lean angle? ( OTHER THAN DON'T ) When I say bumpy, I mean about 1 to 4 inch difference in elevation up and down and back and forth.

Any tips?? Thanks for da knowledge!

ADDED:Maybe I should have asked differently- it's a GIVEN not to TRY. I was hoping I wouldn' t get those answers. I don't aim for them or try to go over them, but sometimes it's in your path of travel or you might have missed it from sight ahead. Ohio roads suck b$%ls to put it nicely. Unfortunately, I've ended up in unplanned situations, and other than avoidance, as I stated in the beginning, what's the best way to deal with it when you are suddenly there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would not recommend riding a bumpy road at full lean or even at a spirited pace. Your contact patch is small as is, any further reduction in that patch will eventually lead into a low or highside. If you absolutely have to ride on that road I say granny it and save it for the track.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Ok...I'm going to pretend you're being serious about this question and answer without being a smartass....OOOPs...too late

Man, if you're riding on roads with 1-4 inch drop offs and potholes....I would say you're crazy to ride them fast. If you know the road very well, and these bad spots are spread out thats one thing....but otherwise I would try to stay away from it....you're just asking for trouble otherwise

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
when i see potholes on the road, i avoid them.. not go into them. same with my car, those volk racing wheels with tiny tires will not be too happy when they hit the 1-4inch potholes.. so the smart thing to do is, avoid them and stay away from them. oh yeah, 4 those big potholes, call your city and tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
TARIUSDRAGON, you are setting yourself up for a tankslapper if you push it on that road. Not trying to be your mother or anything, just don't want to see anyone hurt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I should have asked differently- it's a GIVEN not to TRY. I was hoping I wouldn' t get those answers. I don't aim for them or try to go over them, but sometimes it's in your path of travel or you might have missed it from sight ahead. Ohio roads suck b$%ls to put it nicely. Unfortunately, I've ended up in unplanned situations, and other than avoidance, as I stated in the beginning, what's the best way to deal with it when you are suddenly there.

Thank you guys-

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a good turn by my house that's like that... asphalt is old and REALLY warped on a 90 deg turn (road turns, not an intersection). there is no way to avoid going over this patch of rough road (other than go another way) but what i do when going through it is kinda *stand* on the pegs... basically i just get all my weight off the seat on on the pegs. if your suspension is set up properly then it should eat up most of the rough stuff and having your weight on the pegs lowers the CoG.

what i do is just slow down before the turn and then give it mild acceleration through the turn. keeps weight off the front so its less likely to wash out and occasionally the back end will hop out from under me, but just a few inches here or there. just stay on the gas and ride it through.

the most important part is to slow down BEFORE you hit that stuff... having the forks compressed going through that patch of rough asphalt is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU RIPPER! :bounce: That's what I was looking for!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ohio roads suck b$%ls to put it nicely
I feel you man. I was out on RT. 374 by Old Mans Cave two weeks ago, and hit a patch like you are asking about. I just kept steady on the throttle and let the suspension do the work. It was hairy for a second or two, but not nearly as bad as on the way back. It was starting to get a little dark, and I hit a patch of gravel at a moderate pace. The front washed out pretty bad, and I just about lost it before the tires regained grip. Pretty much had to wash my shorts when I got home after that one.

Where are you at in Columbus by the way?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My girl is in Hilliard (near Main and Hill-ROme), I work in Mansfield though. I'm anywhere in between the two! I ride wherever I can. Mansfield has some AWESOME roads..... 603 JUST GOT REPAVED!!! HOURS OF UNINTERRUPTED "FLAT CANYONS" LOL

I just met a couple guys that have RR's that live in Hilliard too a street over from my girls house.

Where do you live? Not sure where canal W is....???? Nice bike by the way!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Canal is basically on the opposite side of 270 from Hilliard. Take 270 around the South side to 33 toward Lancaster. Canal Winchester is about 4 miles down the road. If your ever looking to go down to the Hocking Hills area, let me know. Lots of good roads with plenty of elevation changes as well as twisties.

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah

I just wrecked coming over a manhole that had a big lip and on the other side of the lip was no road for about 5 inches....then in front of that was a five foot long 5 inch dip in the road...I was leaning through the manhole and the dip in the road didnt help..I smashed into a few cars..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts