Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and tried on some 1 pieces today and determined that a 44 US is my size since I could barely get out of it and almost needed help getting it pealed off my shoulders. I figure since it was new, it would break in and fit snug and nice. The one thing that I felt odd was that the pucks weren't cupping my knee but I figured that was probably supposed to be that way since it felt comfortable.

I want so bad to get a suit since that is really the only thing keeping me from jumping in on a track day. That and the fear of me being too slow for riders in C.....

Which brings me to a question.....how do I gauge my riding skills to be worthy of bringing them to a track? Since the group descriptions say C group is for .....very experienced road riders who may have little or no track experience. I wouldn't really consider myself a VERY experienced road rider.....not even experienced really. But I have no problems riding my bike, braking, shifting, downshifting etc.....just makes me nervous with that "very" language!

That is all......babble over.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrats on getting ready for the track, once you do it you'll be hooked! Definitely go with a 1 piece suit. I've seen a two piece suit's zipper tear apart leaving the rider with some pretty good road rash. You've got boots, over the wrist gloves, a back protector would be a big plus too.

On the being ready for the track, how long have you been riding? The novice level track day group has a pretty wide range of riders, from first time track people to experience probably should be bumped up to the next level riders. Do you feel pretty good on the road, like going through the twisty stuff, etc.

I was dog slow my first track day. I wanted to from the instrustors/classroom the proper way to lean on the bike, foot placement, body placement, arms/shoulders, head, etc. I learned a ton and it has helped my riding a lot.

They basically don't want riders straight out of the msf course. Usually if you have at least one year of experience, you're good to go. And if for some reason you are too slow for the Level 1/Level C pace, an instructor will pull you off and they'll work something out with you. Their main goal is that everyone is safe out there.

Give it a go, I think you'll be fine. Also what tires do you have on the bike? It probably doesn't matter for your first track day, but as you start pushing it a little more you'll want some good tires on the bike.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
tracktactics.org FTW!!!!!!!! check us out, man. it's not about fast or slow for your first track days, it's more about learning and being safe. don't ever feel intimidated or that you are too slow to hit the track.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always run DCIIIs....for my whole two tires. This is my first street bike, but have ridden friends spare bikes when I lived in Chicago. Riding season isn't too long there tho.

I feel fine on twisties, not super fast, but comfortable. The only thing that bugs me is that damn other lane....I dont trust other drivers going around blind curves at all. Hell, some drivers have trouble keepin it in their own lanes on a straight.

I already have boots that I wear when I ride always. It just feels more comfortable. I am going to check out a 1 piece tomorrow from a guy in the area.....I didn't really want to buy a new suit as I don't know if I want to invest that kind of cash yet. So I'm opting for a good quality used one.

Here's the link: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1733340455.html

After gear is all settled, I hear I need to do a few things to my bike.

Tape headlights and tail light
Tape speedo
Tape wheel weights
Remove passenger pegs
Remove mirrors
Change coolant to a race approved (water wetter is the only one that comes to mind)

Is there anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up picking up that Dainese suit. It fits great!

·
Registered
458 Posts
After gear is all settled, I hear I need to do a few things to my bike.

Tape headlights and tail light
Tape speedo
Tape wheel weights
Remove passenger pegs
Remove mirrors
Change coolant to a race approved (water wetter is the only one that comes to mind)

Is there anything else I need to do?
Changing your coolant might be overkill. Check with the organization your going to run with. Some have stricter rules than others......If its your first trackday and you are not going to be running in an experienced group some organaztions will not make you change your coolant or take your pegs off......the most basic I have seen is make sure you cannot sqeeze your front brake to your handlebar and tape up all lights/reflectors and your tires are not worn to the wear indicators. Most orgs will only make you do the basics because in there mind "Why make you do all that stuff if you might not do it again"(which I bet my 600rr membership you will be hooked and do it again!)
Although, it doesn't hurt to change the coolant, I use Motul MoCool. As you advance in groupings the stricter the requirements get....like safety wiring for advanced groups etc. HAve fun getting your cherry popped!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh and don't be intimidated. There is probably going to be other riders that show up and it'll be their first time too wondering if they have the skills for the track......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts