Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what I want to do is get my LED indicators to flash at the correct rate, to that end I have a couple of ideas that I would like to share with everyone.

Please note that I have not tested either idea - yet. Hopefully I'll get around to it in the next few days or so.

The problem:

When you replace the standard indicators with LED ones the bike assumes that you have a burnt out bulb (or two). If you replace one bulb then you get double the flash rate, if you do both then it just stays on all the time - not something Mr Plod will be a fan of I reckon.
It does this by monitoring the resistance of the indicator circuit in the bulbs 'off' time.

The Aim:

The aim was to fool the bike into thinking that the circuit has a really low resistance without having the power draw that would normally come with it. To do this I have (with the help of a bloke at work for the FET one) designed a couple of circuits to achieve this.

The Solutions

Number 1:

This solution is based on the friendly relay:

And this one uses a couple of relatively inexpensive MOSFETs to achieve the same result:

So what do you think?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have re-hashed the FET solution - this time with both indicators taken care of one one circuit, so one less FET required. Also please note that the 5R 1W should be a 3R 1W or your bulbs will flash to fast.

I plan on going down the street tomorrow and getting the stuff to build it and will post up pics soon. Total cost should be around AU$20 at Jaycar

The new schematic:

Let me know what you think?

Good / Bad or otherwise, its all good!

Nico

·
Registered
377 Posts
I applaud your enthusiam on this especially with all the schematics as well... but man... I think most fellas on here are thinking.. this is way more complicated than it needs to be for our bikes.

Many of us would just add a resistor or use a flasher relay module as this is much easier for some to install.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know - just figured that there might be someone out there who likes the idea.

Right now I do just have a resistor in there, but i'm looking for something that doesn't suck all that extra juice for (IMO) no benefit, and doesn't have contacts to wear out, and depending on where you get the stuff from this could be built for under $5, so cheaper than a solid state flasher.

Thanks for the feedback

Nico

·
Registered
917 Posts
So I have re-hashed the FET solution - this time with both indicators taken care of one one circuit, so one less FET required. Also please note that the 5R 1W should be a 3R 1W or your bulbs will flash to fast.

I plan on going down the street tomorrow and getting the stuff to build it and will post up pics soon. Total cost should be around AU$20 at Jaycar

The new schematic:

Let me know what you think?

Good / Bad or otherwise, its all good!

Nico
your idea's sound cool. If it's something you like to play with, i mean making your own resistor kit, i would say go for it. It seems a little complicated for me, i'm not to familiar with that kind of stuff. when i put my flush mounts on I got a dual load resistor which cost about $25.00. works out nice. good luck with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know - just figured that there might be someone out there who likes the idea.

Right now I do just have a resistor in there, but i'm looking for something that doesn't suck all that extra juice for (IMO) no benefit, and doesn't have contacts to wear out, and depending on where you get the stuff from this could be built for under $5, so cheaper than a solid state flasher.

Thanks for the feedback

Nico

Hey Nico... in the latest schematics you show about 14+ components that would need to be wired up... honestly.. that would be about 12+ components too much and beyond what many .net riders would ever want to wire up themselves.

Now, if you can do all the work and make it plug and play as much as possible.. and still be at a better price than most guys shelling out for resistors or Flasher relays.. then more power to ya... and I know I certainly would buy one from you... as long as it was around $10 or so....

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Nico... in the latest schematics you show about 14+ components that would need to be wired up... honestly.. that would be about 12+ components too much and beyond what many .net riders would ever want to wire up themselves.

Now, if you can do all the work and make it plug and play as much as possible.. and still be at a better price than most guys shelling out for resistors or Flasher relays.. then more power to ya... and I know I certainly would buy one from you... as long as it was around $10 or so....

Just food for thought.
That I may do in the long run, but first would need to be tested and so forth...

And I would (hesitantly) estimate a build cost of around $5 - $8 with components being around $4 and PCB $2 ish

In the mean time i figured with blokes on here willing to pull their gauges apart to do LED swaps and stuff, some may want to give this a go.

Nico

1 - 8 of 8 Posts