Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bled my rear brakes. I was using the Honda DOT 4 brake fluid. So after bleeding, I still have around half of the brake fluid left. I don't want to throw it away ($7.99 is expensive for me) and I cannot reuse the fluid because it is hygroscopic. What are the other uses ? What do you guys do with left over brake fluid ?

·
Registered
923 Posts
so if i buy brake fluid and is some left on the bottle were ever the brand is i have to throw it away? or you talking about the used fluid?

rodrigo

D

·
0 Posts
so if i buy brake fluid and is some left on the bottle were ever the brand is i have to throw it away? or you talking about the used fluid?

rodrigo
You can keep it so long as it's not hygroscopic. Bygroscopic brake fluid absorbs moisture which is bad, but if it's hygroscopic and you leave it's container tightly closed so no moisture can get in, you should be fine with it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In the gun world, we have this stuff called Hoppe's 9. I use it to clean my barrels.

Guys love this stuff kind of like Honda guys love Honda Polish. It's not uncommon that guys use it as cologne for those very special occasions.... kind of like how Honda guys use Honda Polish.

For those less special occasions, maybe Honda DOT 4 brake fluid would suffice.

That, or dump it in the ocean the next time you go out to club baby seals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can keep it so long as it's not hygroscopic. Bygroscopic brake fluid absorbs moisture which is bad, but if it's hygroscopic and you leave it's container tightly closed so no moisture can get in, you should be fine with it.
How do you know if its hygro or bygro?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Put what you have left in 3 or 4 shotglasses and have a toast with your buddies!!!:all_cohol

Put some in your little brothers Goldfish bowl

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That made me run to the garage to check the bottle, it didn't say.
I run Motul's RBF600 Factory Line DOT fo'

The website says "developed to resist high temps and wet weather conditions" so I would think it's hygroscopic yeah?

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Seal the bottle as tight as you can and call it a day

·
Registered
802 Posts
I Love the smell of Hoppes 9 Rumple!! lol

Re: brake fluid. I allways do all 3 brakes if Im going to open a new bottle. Then when Im done, I squeeze the bottle while I put the cap on tight and then I use electrical tape to seal the cap. I also use RBF and that Chit aint cheap!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've never tossed a can of opened brake fluid. Any DOT3 or higher brake fluid will want to absorb moisture from the air, which is why the bottles must remain tightly sealed. Not sure about others, but Motul RBF is sealed with nitrogen gas in the bottle instead of air to prevent the fluid from taking up moisture. As long as the bottle is very well sealed you should be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts