Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading the eating my chicken strips thread and thought we could get a look at everyones strips without jacking a thread, i searched but didnt find anything recent

every couple weekends we get out of philly to some good twisties where my strips are gone but this is them 90% of the time.

LETS SEE EM!

·
Registered
134 Posts

good idea carbon, here are my tires again
btw are those calipers aftermarket? and what type of rear line is that? I have never seen anything like that

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Dejavu. Guess I'll participate in this thread as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
how come after a day at the track it looks like someone took a cheese grater to certain tires? Newb question perhaps?

·
Registered
370 Posts
how come after a day at the track it looks like someone took a cheese grater to certain tires? Newb question perhaps?
think of an eraser on the back of a pencil. when you're pushing that eraser to the max it starts shredding. when you're on the edge of the tire your contact patch is very small, and the rubber just can't handle it, that's when you see shredding. also race tire operating temp is around 170 degF, so alot of the "grated cheese" you see on the edge is acutally melted rubber.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

good idea carbon, here are my tires again
btw are those calipers aftermarket? and what type of rear line is that? I have never seen anything like that
I'm pretty sure those are OEM for the '05-'06. Those look identical to mine. Oh, nevermind haha. I was looking at the wrong picture...

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
also, some of it is rubber which you pick up off the track and onto your tires.

a lot of times it could also be due to the tire and track condition combo.

If you're on very cool tracks or very hot ones, depending on your choice of tire and if you've picked the right combo, the tires will have a different look to them.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
A couple reasons, 1 being the heat, heat allows the tire to grip, which brings you to 2, when the tire is on the track your are riding on a surface designed to help you grip. Track surfaces contain more items such as glass (additional) shells and other items to provide grip.

My 2CT's are still new but they feel slick when I start leaning that far but mine are about half inch on the right and 1 inch on the left. My tire has like 80 miles on it. So damn BLUETORI. Nice.
That slick feeling is an old myth... Well it wasn't a myth years ago because of the manufacturing process in the tires. YEARS ago when you purchased a tire they would have a slick film on them, which was a combination of oil surfacing and a chemical compound that allowed the tire to be removed from the forms/molds.

Similar to the compound used in construction that we use to removed work from concrete after it's poured.

But due to the advancements in technology over the years this is no longer the case. The only thing that is dangerous when going out on new tires is any items that may have been used for the installation. Sometimes the installer will use soapy water or oil your chain and these can be left on the tire.

Otherwise your only concern is with TEMPS! Not getting your tires up to temperature is the biggest issue!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
every couple weekends we get out of philly to some good twisties where my strips are gone but this is them 90% of the time.
WHERE?!? LOL

I know a couple, which I know you know about cuz everyone in philly and even some of jerz know about, but they're not the best twisties around (anyone thats been there knows what I'm talking about '[cough'] uneven surface what?' [cough])

PM me... cant be havin sum newb bringing his lil squidly buddies, going down and bringing too much attention and ruining the spot :five: lol

i've not been on my bike for about 2 1/2 weeks now... my tires might have turned into full size chickens by now.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My 2CT's are still new but they feel slick when I start leaning that far but mine are about half inch on the right and 1 inch on the left. My tire has like 80 miles on it. So damn BLUETORI. Nice.

I have a couple of tanks threw them already but they felt so much better than the stock Dunlop's.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts