Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So planning on an oil change this weekend and after always using Honda hp4 oil, I have reasoned to try something different. Now the question is what?

After some reading I came across this link: http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

Excellent read. Now my question is, is this still relevant? Are there really no differences between automotive and motorcycle?

What do you guys suggest as a newcomer to the synthetic world for the first drinks in my 06?

On an unrelated note, I recently did a 520 conversion and the chain now has a "whine" to it, imagine a high pitched UFO. Slack is good, sprocket teeth are in good shape. Kinda clueless on this one as well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
As far as not running car oil in a motorcycle engine, its always been my understanding the main reason you don't want to do that is because of the motorcycles wet clutch. The motorcycle specific oil isn't necessarily better than car specific at protecting engine internals, it just has a different formulation of anti-wear additives to prevent wet clutch issues.

Some people like to run OE Honda stuff (which is probably contracted out to Mobil), some like Shell Rotella, Motul, or Amsoil. I've always ran dino oil, so I ran Honda GN4 in my 600RR and never had any issues.

The most important part is just making sure to keep good, fresh oil in the engine. Don't necessarily go strictly by the interval of mileage. If you track your bike and run it at 8k to 14k rpm for extended periods of time then of course the oil is going to break down much quicker than if you just cruise to work and back.

Now on the subject of chain oil. The dealership sells it of course, I think Honda, Suzuki, etc... sell their own brand. I've also heard good things about ChainWax. Now me, I'd always first spray the chain off real well with a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then I'd simply lubricate it with whatever chain and bar lube they sold at the hardware store. I think the brand I used most often was Coastal.

·
Registered
459 Posts
There will be a lot of different opinions on what oil you should use. There are several threads on here on what people recommend. I use Shell Rotella T6. It's a very good synthetic for the price. You can get it for around $25 bucks for a gallon at Walmart. Make sure you get a good oil filter as well!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did a lot of research on this, and from what I gather, Amsoil is definitely worth a try. Too bad it isn't available where I live. Give it a shot and see hwo it goes.
They also make a great oil filter

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm trying it out, nothing bad to say so far...I'll probably send some samples to blackstone at random intervals to see how it's doing, I'll try to post the results in a few months. There's been some speculation that it breaks down faster but it's cheap enough to change at 3k miles. I'm planning on testing a few oils back to back before I decide on "my" oil.

·
Registered
944 Posts
REPSOL!
I bought some a few weeks ago. Waiting to put it in!

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Motul 300v is what I use

Motul oils have been around for more than 150 years. One thing that Motul uses that is extremely important in their oils is Ester. Ester is a by product from fatty acids and negatively charged; meaning it will bond to metals. The 300V is the flag ship of the Motul line; this is an Ester based Oil. This type of oil isn't pumped out of the ground, it is collected from vegetables, coconuts and Methyl products.

Motul's 300V oil is specifically designed for performance; it has the same lifespan than a typical oil if not more as it takes a lot hotter temps and abuse to break down.' Motul makes other fluids for your motorcycles such as the Motul 5.1 Brake Fluid and RBF 600 Factory Fluid.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=222781

S

·
0 Posts
I did a lot of research on this, and from what I gather, Amsoil is definitely worth a try. Too bad it isn't available where I live. Give it a shot and see how it goes.
They also make a great oil filter

:+1: To both....I did a ton of research before my first "real" oil change. And I also use Amsoil, and their filter. Works beautifuly! Couldn't be happier. I also installed a magnetic drian plug from:

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP01.html

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
i am going to start an motorcycle oil forum and get rich ...
Lol, seriously. But hey...I changed my oil and couldn't be happier...smoother shifts and better, stuff...

Doesn't matter the brand, it's the fresh oil. But we'll let 'em believe they've found the magic answer.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Motul 300v is what I use
do you ever get any clutch slip with that stuff? I looked into getting it for my last oil change & was told it will cause slipping in our bikes cause its focused more towards big twins, I just want to know if the shop was full of $hit or not

cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
do you ever get any clutch slip with that stuff? I looked into getting it for my last oil change & was told it will cause slipping in our bikes cause its focused more towards big twins, I just want to know if the shop was full of $hit or not

cheers

Oh god..... I hope not cause I just ordered some to change my oil for my first track day

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Nope never. Works great for me. To be honest I used to use their 7100 and I don't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Repsol 4T oil with a K&N oil filter for me. Works great, bike runs smooth as silk. For chain lube and chain clean, I've used Motul, but lately I've switched to Mortex and like it more. The chain clean seems to get more gunk off the chain without scrubbing. Chain lube seems even between the two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts