Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

What to do, Liability, Full Coverage or keep looking?

• Liablilty for $400.00 a year???

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Full Coverage for $1400 a year ($1000 deductable)??

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • or keep searching for cheaper???

Votes: 18 72.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is it a new bike? Is it being financed or do you own it? How old are you and what does your driving record look like?

I decided to get full coverage ($500 deductibles) because I'm afraid someone will come by and load it in their van or something. In my state I cannot get only comprehensive, I must carry collision as well.

I am under 25 so I'm paying 1400 a year through esurance (american modern). This is with a perfect driving record. It's ridiculous but what can I do, it's the cheapest price I could find.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have full coverage for $440/yr with Allstate.

Search around some more to see if you can get a better deal.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Go with State Farm, Geico wanted like $1000+ a year State farm charges me 400 a year for full coverage with Theft. Peace of mind my friend. Call state farm NOW and get a quote

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I see this a lot, StateFarm either hooks people up like above ^^^ or ive heard of ridiculous numbers....Statefarm wants $125/month for full coverage out here in CA for me. Im 24, clean record, paid off bike, no tickets, yada yada ya....nothing that would make it expensive....so why cant I get it for like $500/year or something more reasonable like that??? Is it cuz im in cali?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you're a young guy living in or near a poulated area (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc) then $1,400 doesnt sound too bad. Especially if you've had a ding or 2 on your record.
BUT... I would definately shop around. There are hundreds of motorcycle insurers out there and those people that say "X company is the cheapest" are stupid. If one company was always the cheapest, then eventually that would be the only company in business. Different companies have different "appetites" for different areas.
I agree that State farm tends to have very good rates. I hear that Allstate is good too. Progressive is the largest motorcycle insurer in the country but I find their rates to be higher. Also try Geico... maybe Markel. Call up a few local brokers and ask for a quote. Bigger agencies usually have more markets than smaller ones. I know it's time consuming but worth it if you can save a few hundred dollars... and if you can't, at least you know you're probably getting the best price out there.

I'll be glad to help if you have any questions. I've been in this crappy industry for almost 10 years now....

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
I just have Liability + Theft. Which is different than FULL coverage, from what I'm told.

This is what I have:

HONDA
CBR600RR
Coverages Limits / Deductibles Total Vehicle
1 year Premium:
$594.00

Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 $131.00
Property Damage Liability $10,000 $59.00
Comprehensive $100 Ded. $404.00

Is this good??? LOL!

·
Registered
712 Posts
to OP...

cant honestly tell you if you are getting a good deal or not. everyone's situation is diff. age/sex/location/credit/driving record/etc.

keep shopping around if you'd like or just buy it now just to have coverage and keep looking around. switch when you find a better price. but try not to sacrafice sufficient coverage for a lower rate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was quoted between $1700/year and $2800/year for full coverage over 10 times before I stumbled on $176.84/year full coverage through Country Insurance. I'm 23, got my motorcycle license 3 weeks ago, and also have my car insured with them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
to OP...

cant honestly tell you if you are getting a good deal or not. everyone's situation is diff. age/sex/location/credit/driving record/etc.

keep shopping around if you'd like or just buy it now just to have coverage and keep looking around. switch when you find a better price. but try not to sacrafice sufficient coverage for a lower rate.
X2.....agreed....would say get the best you could for now but keep lookin, just need to be patient and aware of what other deals are out there

·
Registered
344 Posts
why not get liability and comprehensive (theft, acts of nature, etc.)?

it covers everything except the damage you cause to your own bike (collision) - that's what i have.

conditions may vary per state, but in case the title is on a lien (in VA) you must have Full Coverage

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so when i go around calling insurance companies today, who should i aim for first??
what companies are out there...
progessive
state farm
gieco

·
Registered
655 Posts
All of them

If you really want to save money you should call all of them, but i went with state farm. I have heard nothing but good things and i got 600/year with 2 points on my record (almost off).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
so when i go around calling insurance companies today, who should i aim for first??
what companies are out there...
progessive
state farm
gieco

Try the companies mentioned above as well as Allstate.
Then look in the fhone book under "insurance" and find a local broker... not an independent agent. An independent agent like allstate or State farm can only sell you a policy from that company. If you go to a broker they will have many more markets that they can approach. Call a few brokers that look like they're pretty big and ask them if they write motorcycle insurance and if so, how many carriers do they have and what are they? Also ask if they charge a BROKERS FEE. Some places will charge up to $300 for a brokers fee since they're not really making money on the policy. You'll want to know about that fee upfront.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'm paying a little over $300 a year for full comp/collision/uninsured w/100/300 limits with State Farm. Keep shopping dude. And stay off of it until you have insurance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts