Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for an MSF class in my area. Unfortunately they are booked up for another 2 months.

Three questions:
1) When they say I get a 90 day written/on-bike test waiver, does that mean I have 90 days to get to the DMV and get my license (without taking the tests)?

2) Any suggestions on how I can get a license sooner (taking the MSF either way) without having to get a paper license?
I cant use those because I travel twice a week for work and the airports wont accept that.

3) In GA if you have a drivers license and you get a motorcycle endorsement do they print out your new license right away like they do when you first get it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just signed up for an MSF class in my area. Unfortunately they are booked up for another 2 months.

Three questions:
1) When they say I get a 90 day written/on-bike test waiver, does that mean I have 90 days to get to the DMV and get my license (without taking the tests)?

2) Any suggestions on how I can get a license sooner (taking the MSF either way) without having to get a paper license?
I cant use those because I travel twice a week for work and the airports wont accept that.

3) In GA if you have a drivers license and you get a motorcycle endorsement do they print out your new license right away like they do when you first get it?

Thanks.

I live in Ohio so things might be slightly different but I just took the MSF and got my license so I'll explain what I do know.

1) Yes that is correct, once you pass the course you get a completion card. You then have a certain timeframe to take that card to the DMV to get your motorcycle license w/o having to take the riding portion.

2) Not sure on this, might have to have a GA resident reply to you.

3) When I took my MSF completion card to the DMV, I was given a new license right there on the spot... I'd imagine GA does the same thing.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts

Three questions:

Thanks.
1) You actually have 1 year from the date of completion to use the waiver before having to take the class over.

2) If you have a class C license, they don't take it away from you while processing the M license. If the M is going to be your first/only license...then there really is no work around.

3) I know that here in CA they just give you a paper version until you get the new license (took about 1.5 weeks to get mine). They punch out the exp. date on your existing license until you get the new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2) If you have a class C license, they don't take it away from you while processing the M license. If the M is going to be your first/only license...then there really is no work around.
Okay heres a weird one. Im moving slowly from GA to AL (have places in each currently but not for long). The bike is registered in AL and I want to get my license there. I still have a GA license (cause of the whole paper license thing). Do you think I can show up to AL and take the test without showing my GA drivers license (probably claiming I dont have one)? Or do you think I can get a motorcycle endorsement in AL without having to switch my GA license?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay heres a weird one. Im moving slowly from GA to AL (have places in each currently but not for long). The bike is registered in AL and I want to get my license there. I still have a GA license (cause of the whole paper license thing). Do you think I can show up to AL and take the test without showing my GA drivers license (probably claiming I dont have one)? Or do you think I can get a motorcycle endorsement in AL without having to switch my GA license?

You're going to have to show some ID to take any test so how do you plan on "claiming I don't have one"?

In what state are you going to be taking the MSF course?

I don't get the airport statement either, you have a DL, right? When you get your M temps, they don't take your regular DL from you. It's just an extra piece of paper, so you would still have your ID for your travel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to have to show some ID to take any test so how do you plan on "claiming I don't have one"?

In what state are you going to be taking the MSF course?

I don't get the airport statement either, you have a DL, right? When you get your M temps, they don't take your regular DL from you. It's just an extra piece of paper, so you would still have your ID for your travel.
Im not sure what I mean :) Im just thinking that you dont have to have a DL to get a class M ...

Well the problem is that I have a GA DL right now and need to get an AL. I haven't done that because AL is telling me I'll hold a paper license for up to 4 weeks. Im trying to avoid getting a GA Class M knowing that I'll just have to change it. Also, if I go to take the test without having a permit/taken the MSF course I am at the mercy of the schedule ... I guess I'll need to do that.

I just want to ride. I've had the bike for three months and have been dealing with this since ... I've got 120 miles on the bike!

·
Registered
161 Posts
in PA the MSF is not mandatory but it is free

you can also ride with a permit forever in PA...some of my friends do that
Damn you lucky...,

In FL up untill 1July08 MSF is required if under the age ofr 25 (I turned 25 while In Iraq now and wont be home for a few more days). And as of 1 July 08 its MANDITORY and the class is... Well best price I found was $185 but most are $225 (military discount you can get it as cheap as $160).

Now yes I could take the class for free on base (stationed at Ft Steart, GA) ut its a 6 month wait right now (they arent taking reservations past 6 months). In FL I just signed up for a Class the 22nd and 23rd of july. weekend classes fill up about a month out. Takes alittle looking but you an find weekday ones and those dont full up as quick. So while I am home on leave after I get back I am taking mine... Yeah I have been ridding on those 90 Permits for years LOL, some times even after they expired OOPs thought I had more time left on it LOL.

D

·
0 Posts
Damn you lucky...,

In FL up untill 1July08 MSF is required if under the age ofr 25 (I turned 25 while In Iraq now and wont be home for a few more days). And as of 1 July 08 its MANDITORY and the class is... Well best price I found was $185 but most are $225 (military discount you can get it as cheap as $160).

Now yes I could take the class for free on base (stationed at Ft Steart, GA) ut its a 6 month wait right now (they arent taking reservations past 6 months). In FL I just signed up for a Class the 22nd and 23rd of july. weekend classes fill up about a month out. Takes alittle looking but you an find weekday ones and those dont full up as quick. So while I am home on leave after I get back I am taking mine... Yeah I have been ridding on those 90 Permits for years LOL, some times even after they expired OOPs thought I had more time left on it LOL.
In Florida, the MSF safety course is only required for people under 21. If you are 21 and older, you can skip the MSF and only have to take the test at the DMV before you get your license. It's not going to be a mandatory class either, just for people under 21, which it has always been.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In Florida, the MSF safety course is only required for people under 21. If you are 21 and older, you can skip the MSF and only have to take the test at the DMV before you get your license. It's not going to be a mandatory class either, just for people under 21, which it has always been.
Negative Ghostrider.... I know cause I just checked, Currently its under the age of 25 its maditory but effective July 1st 2008 its manditory across the board. I called up due to regular drivers lisence reasons and thats the current info the lady gave me.

D

·
0 Posts
Negative Ghostrider.... I know cause I just checked, Currently its under the age of 25 its maditory but effective July 1st 2008 its manditory across the board. I called up due to regular drivers lisence reasons and thats the current info the lady gave me.
I check every day and the FL DMV website shows 21 years of age, not 25, and says the course is optional above the age of 21. I don't trust people at the DMV either, so I'd never believe what they say over the phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts