Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the day with 56 miles on the trip meter and 4 bars of fuel. Got to work with 87 miles on the trip meter and my fuel light flashing.

6th gear at about 7500rpms. Anyone else have a similar issue? I had some wonky bad gas/hard starting issues a few weeks back, but have never had this poor of fuel mileage unless I'm flogging it at the track.

Going to clean my air filter tonight and run a leaner map and see if that helps. I noticed the fuel gauge bounce around a little bit... could be that my mileage is fine and my sending unit is tweakin out.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
open you gas tap next time and move the bike around you should be able to determin if you really did waste all that gas or if its just the gas measure thing is failing

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
Like cbRacer said that fuel gauge can play tricks on your eyes, every once in a while i will fill up completely reset trip to zero and ride causually just to test my milage per tank to make sure everything is kosher

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It works with a float so you get to use a reasonable amount of gas while it stays full. Then it will flash one bar empty with maybe 1.5 gallons left or so. That does seem a bit quick but it might have been almost at 3 when you started. Fill up and track your mileage and calculate your MPG when you fill up the subsequent time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was down to 1 bar when I got to the gas station about 2 miles from work when I posted last. Filled it up, barely took 2 gallons.

Sounds like my sending unit may be on it's way out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bars, half full, blah. Get the actual mileage, and how many actual gallons, then it's possible to make sense of your fuel consumption.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I always reset the trip meter ever fill up, always fill it up, always to the same level. That way when I get to the station, after it is full, I look at how many miles are on the trip meter, divide that by the number of gallons it took to fill it back to the tip, and reset the trip meter.

Viola

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typically I get 120-140 miles to a tank before the last bar is flashing. Usually takes about 3.5 gallons to fill it back up, so 35-40 mpg.

84 miles / 2.2 gallons to top it off = ~38mpg

·
Registered
579 Posts
I go between 130-150 on 3.1 gallons(seems to be that same amount each time)

And no im not easy on it

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine starts flashing at about 135, I normally fill up within next 10-15 miles normally takes less then 3.5 gallons. I reset trip meter each time for A i leave trip B rolling for oil change interval. Normally get about 42mpg on average. I commute alot but do some spirited riding as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out my bike has been fixed under warranty for this issue before. Have to replace the whole fuel pump. $302.00 OEM screw that noise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't think this helps, but my 06 has never had a very accurate gas gauge it jumps all around.
Mine was dead accurate up until my bad gas issue. From what I can see in the tank, it looks like there's a bunch of contacts that the float arm rides against. I'll pull it apart before my next fill up and report back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts