Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Currently my 03 cbr600rr runs fine, but neither the low beam nor high beam operate. HID Beams.

Leading up to the current issue, when the I would ride and the lights did not turn on, if I hit the kill switch and turned it back on, the lights would come back. When that stopped working, I would tap on the kill switch until the lights turned back on. but it would occasionally kill the motor with even with the switch remaining in the ON position.

Now nothing works to get the lights to turn on. Flipping the high beams switch does not even show the blue high beam indicator on the cluster. Previously when the lights weren't working and the blue high beam indicator would not display, tapping the kill switch would then trigger the blue high beam indicator and the lights would turn on.

I have cleaned out the connectors. Did not fix.

Bike is now torn apart for a valve clearance so i was able to disassemble the starter switch/kill switch assembly. Looked inside, all the wires and solder look fine.

I believe the lights are fine and the issue is with the starter swtich/kill switch assembly.
Any ideas before I purchase a new one?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
It could just be a cold solder on the contacts. Get a solder gun and try and fix it. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would follow the advice of Tripage, and add in the fact that the system on bikes really need to have a relay added into the HID's for constant power. I would wire one in, you can pick these up on amazon/ebay for around 5 bucks and depending on how elaborate you want to get you would only need two at most (high/low). Once you wire those in I would put in the 10 second delay relay to the low beam system to avoid the energy draw required to fire the system. Just note, if you stall your bike, always remember to wait 10 seconds before going if possible for the low to turn on after startup.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Led lights will draw less power and give you a great light output. They are instant on and you don't have to worry about not having 12v to get them started. Work with 9v in most cases to turn them on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I'm the same way. I want to have the best of the best so I have to stay up with what is available.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Double check your starter switch isn't funky or not releasing all the way. When you hit the starter switch it kills the lights to help all the available battery power go to the starter, if the switch doesn't 100% release or is corroded at all, it can/will kill the lights.

Check that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys!!
@tripage- I'll try to resolder and see if that helps. Not looking to invest in new LED lights for this one, but it's definitely worth it for on my 08 I just got.
@Karling- Cool on letting me know about the relay/delay. Once I get these running, it sounds like a good and inexpensive investment.
@Miweber929- I'll see if the actual switch is sticking and if there is anything I can do to clean it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts