Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done it once about 10yrs ago with a Uhaul cube van that had the long ramp out the back, so that was ok... But whats the best way to do it
on a pickup truck?

I have a short ramp that I used for my sleds, but its quite steep, so I wouldnt be able to ride the bike on it... Do you think 2 people can handle the bike up and down a ramp like that?

I'm using a Baxley and Canyon Dancer to strap it down, just need advice on the loading/unloading please :confused1

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
with 2 people you should be perfectly fine, i have cheap steel ramp that is straight and at my house i can load and unload the bike by myslef since my driveway is pretty steep i would say, and there is a gutter at the bottom so i park my truck at the bottom so the ramp is not too steep and i can just push the bike up myslef

·
Registered
135 Posts
They way I do it is get an 8 foot ramp. Set my idle to 3000rpm, put it in first and walk along side of it right into the bed of the truck using the clutch to control the speed of the bike. Makes it real easy to do with one person.
I use this method too... a bit intimidating at first but easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
They way I do it is get an 8 foot ramp. Set my idle to 3000rpm, put it in first and walk along side of it right into the bed of the truck using the clutch to control the speed of the bike. Makes it real easy to do with one person.
+1 i do this too. i always invision myself slipping off the clutch and launching my bike through the back window of my truck. that usually helps :icon_roll

·
"Superman dat hoe"
1,702 Posts
haha Yeah just have one person on the side doing the front brake and a person on the back holding the tail. Just slide her out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
park your truck reverse in a driveway at a point where the rear wheels are at the deepest point usually the gutter, that will put your bed and tailgate at the lowest point the incline of the driveway will bring the the ground up closer with the ramp, then its cake, unless your truck is lifted. With 2 people its a walk in the park.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I thought about loading my 07 RR into the back of my light duty truck, but was intimidated by it. I have read quite a few stories on here bout people wrecking bikes when trying to load up into a pickup bed.

I am gonna look into a motorcycle trailer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've moved my 600RR in and out of my S-10 pickup truck just using a 2x8 board that is about 8 feet long. I just make sure that the grounded end is stuck into the dirt so that it doesn't wander on me and I always load/unload with another person helping me. With a person on both sides of the bike it is pretty safe from going over and the bike is easy to center if it starts to track to one side of the board or the other when you are backing it down. My S-10 tailgate is low to start with, so that helps too.

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
last time i loaded/unloaded was having the end of the truck parked at the beginning of a high sidewalk...then i just walked it up with a big piece of wood as a ramp.took two people, but i would want to try the one person, 1st gear clutch job, if i had the chance.

this may be pretty crazy, but has anybody had the balls to unload the bike, riding it down the ramp, given it's not as steep?

·
Registered
32 Posts
http://www.cbrforum.com/upfiles/21254/6239B19A55464B3FAFE69EA4C84767A4.gif

Like some others have posted, I cannot attach images, avatars or signatures. Hopefully this link will work. Its the best method I have found using regular ramps. I have replaced the 2 ramps pictured with an Xramp from www.xxramp.com This thing makes backing the bike out childs play with no possibility of running the rear wheel off the narrow ramp. BTW, make sure to tie the ramp the bike is traveling on to the vehicles frame. It is possible to rocket launch the ramp

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm sure this is not the best way to do it, but I've done it in the rain, I was scared as sh!t with the thought of droping my baby but I did it with out accident. Sometimes on my metal ramp the tires tend to lose grip and the bike will slide down slowy so investing in some griptape (skateboarding) and sticking it on the ramp for traction is a good idea.

park your truck reverse in a driveway at a point where the rear wheels are at the deepest point usually the gutter, that will put your bed and tailgate at the lowest point the incline of the driveway will bring the the ground up closer with the ramp, then its cake, unless your truck is lifted. With 2 people its a walk in the park.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wouldn't recommend this one. One slip/trip and the bike is deffinately gonna go thorugh your back window. Now you got a busted up bike and truck.

This is probably the best method. Having the truck angled back end downwards helps A LOT. Put like a tool box or something to step on as you walk your bike up. A little running start doesn't hurt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts