Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying some land and having my own track built. The problem is, a motorcycle race track isn't exactly a good monetary investment, unless I can make a business out of it. My question is this, if someone built and owned a private track that was well maintained, would you pay to race on it? My idea is to have a straight away a little longer than a 1/4 mile for the drag guys, but have the rest twisties. I just need some input, like to get an idea of how well I could sell the idea to local racers. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
If you've got the resources to make it so - I will be there at least once a month and can bring many riders with me whenever possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Track day organizations rent tracks all the time... Make it a 1.5 to 2 miles and you could host track days every weekend (so cal tracks get $2500/day).

Don't forget insurance and maintenance costs....

I've given it thought, but I don't see how you can buy land and build a track with facilities for public access for under $300k.

... but if you have that kinda money - God bless!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow. That seems so much lower than I'd have expected. As an investment you really have to think twice. I'd say if you were lucky enough to get a core group as strong as Jennings has you would do pretty well. That is, of course, if you kept it motorcycle only. If you went with cars too, your initial return might be higher but your upkeep would be a lot more.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
Trik said:
Track day organizations rent tracks all the time... Make it a 1.5 to 2 miles and you could host track days every weekend (so cal tracks get $2500/day).
Damn NHIS gets around $7,000 for the day and I have been told VIR is closer to $20,000

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
There's a lot to consider: Insurance is a major concern, design, pavement, access, buildings, pits, cornerworkers, ambulance service, landscaping - just a whole lot to consider. Ideally you'd have at least $6 or $7M (todays prices) to throw at it (guessing there) and build a facility capable of attracting CCS or other racing organizations. Definitely not something you go cheap on. The more quality and organization you have the more people you attract.

A far as rider support from Florida goes Lakeland is about as good as you can get - you'd get draw from Tampa, Orlando, Daytona and even Miami. If the track is built as good or better than Jennings then the local guys would likely go to Lakeland rather than Jennings. Could have some serious impact to their business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts