Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you read my post on one of my two bike keys being either mis-placed or our FRICKEN CAT playing games again, I go to the local locksmith with the spare key, they looked through thier books etc. to find the proper key needed, and said they would have to order the key blanks.

So I said fine no problem, how long till they come in, response was ohh the end of the week, so I then replied how much are they, response was ohh about $7 each.

So I say well go ahead and order me 2, here my phone # call me when they come in.

The locksmith leaves me a voicemail today, "It will be $250 to have these keys made"...........LOL........Take another hit off your crack pipe people.

So I call back and tried to have them explain this to me why the cost would be so much, when I have another key it can be cut from.

"Well its a special key" was the response.

So I call the dealer I bought the bike from about 60 miles away, ya key blanks are $9 each, then I call my local dealer who are 10 miles away that I absolutely CAN NOT stand to even go into the place, because of the attitude,poor service and cost of everything the want to sell, there cost on the keyblank $25.

Friggn people are killing me today.........

So I guess I'll give my selling dealer a call back and order some keyblanks for $9 each and have my buddy that works down that way pick em up for me.

Just thought Id share my RR moment of the day with everyone.

LATER......

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
to make my key, it only cost me 3.00/key.. so i made three of them..

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
these keys dont have chips right? why would it be special? haha its just a regular cut, its not like laser etched super secret coding mercedes keys or anything

·
Registered
454 Posts
People are retarded and think they can charge more cause there are A LOT of uneducated buyers out there

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went to the dealer near me which i also cannot stand for poor service and being rude and what not, but i had one made with my key code at a local locksmith for $14 canadian...

·
Registered
393 Posts
250? yeah they are on crack LOL.... but i tried making a copy of my key at a local walmart and they told me no cause of high theft in the area.. WTF? do i need to bring the title and stuff?...still looking for a place to copy my ONLY key before i end up in your shoes lol...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
word of advice, don't bring it to a locksmith you wouldn't trust and then give them your address or anything that would let them know where you live. i've heard stories about dudes making copies of keys and having their buddies go to ur house and steal it. hell i wouldn't even give Tweeters my home address when i went to get stuff done for my car.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It sucks that you cannot trust people these days. Home Depot Makes Keys!

·
Registered
393 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:
word of advice, don't bring it to a locksmith you wouldn't trust and then give them your address or anything that would let them know where you live. i've heard stories about dudes making copies of keys and having their buddies go to ur house and steal it. hell i wouldn't even give Tweeters my home address when i went to get stuff done for my car.

damn i didnt think of that.... they dont make the key right infront of you like walmart does? or do they to some sort of back room and then come back out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It costs me $5 and 5 minutes time to get a key made for my bike. I have had to get a key made for my R1 and my F4i.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You should go in there and punch him just because you thing his head was made special.

Really,go do it.I hate people like that.

·
Banned
544 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Shouldnt cost more than 10 bucks i would think.

I worked for a car lot.. if the key was a "special" probably meaning it had to be programed / has a chip, it would be expensive, but our keys... are not.. dont do it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i think a duplicate costed me like $7 at a local locksmith... it didn't have that nice soft leather end tho :(
but who cares :)

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
if you had a spare key for him to duplicate it should be no more then $3 or $4 bucks..... They found out it was a motorcycle key and were trying to flex on you!
I would get it cut at your local hardware store then go to that guy and have him explain (in front of his customers) why that key was gonna be $200 ??

Fukin snakes!!!

And My wife wonders why I hate people!

·
Registered
771 Posts
that's so wack. at least you're smart enough to not pay that.

here's a funny story where i could have used a spare key a few weeks ago....i had my bike all tore apart for a few weeks and lost the key...i didnt think much of it since i couldn't ride anyway. well i still couldn't find it by the time i got everything put back and i looked EVERYWHERE even my mom's and girlfriend's house and couldnt find it...was finally going to give in and call the dealership for help....i was standing in front of the bike and just as the girl picked up i look down and see my repsol keychain hanging out of the toolbox on the bike....doh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts