Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to motorcycles and I just got a new bike. Everyone I talk to always talks about a stolen bike. I'm thinking of getting lojack and wanted your opinion about lojack or stories that you have heard. It cost $900 for installation. I think that's worth a piece of mind and security.

·
Registered
121 Posts
900 Dollars for Lojack?! LoJack just send out a "ping" that SOME cop cars are outfitted to track. I had a cop tell me (LAPD) that they drive down the street and hear those pings all over the place but are to usy to stop and look for them. (MOst likely thats different in smaller citys) I pay 10$ a month for a Zoombak GPS tracker. IF you want to talk piece of mind, knowing exaactly where your bike is in real time is the way to go... After one year of service you have still only spent 120$ and sometims you can get the GPS unit for free from some promotional deal.. plus with a zoombak I get a text message what my bike moves more than a few feet from my driveway. If someone tried to steal my bike I would followthem to their house with the gps, then hold them at shotgun point and have them load it back into my truck Id take all their ID's ( so they wont F with me) and leave.:gun1:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Lojack is a good option, esp the new ones with the paging system. its never guaranteed that they'll find ur bike. the sooner you notify police and lojack the better chances are of recovering it.

900 Dollars for Lojack?! LoJack just send out a "ping" that SOME cop cars are outfitted to track. I had a cop tell me (LAPD) that they drive down the street and hear those pings all over the place but are to usy to stop and look for them. (MOst likely thats different in smaller citys) I pay 10$ a month for a Zoombak GPS tracker. IF you want to talk piece of mind, knowing exaactly where your bike is in real time is the way to go... After one year of service you have still only spent 120$ and sometims you can get the GPS unit for free from some promotional deal.. plus with a zoombak I get a text message what my bike moves more than a few feet from my driveway. If someone tried to steal my bike I would followthem to their house with the gps, then hold them at shotgun point and have them load it back into my truck Id take all their ID's ( so they wont F with me) and leave.:gun1:
That is a great idea also. i might have to look into the Zoombak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
im thinking about it now to on my 09 a couple of the guys at work decided it would be funny to move my bike behind one of their trucks they said it was hard with the steering locked but they still moved it and without me knowing you should of seen my reaction when i yelled my BIKE IS GONE at work XD

·
Registered
380 Posts
im thinking about it now to on my 09 a couple of the guys at work decided it would be funny to move my bike behind one of their trucks they said it was hard with the steering locked but they still moved it and without me knowing you should of seen my reaction when i yelled my BIKE IS GONE at work XD
WTF?! Theres no way, I would fuk someone up for doing that to my bike. Or at least bring a no parking sign to work and put it in front of his truck and call the tow company.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i like that zoomback deal but am wondering with the location history view can you also see a history of your speed because a friend of mine uses another gps tracker and was able to fight a speeding ticket because he was able to bring a printout of his speed for the entire hour around the time he got the ticket and indeed he was not over the speed limit.

lmk

also on their website it says it has to be activated within 60 days from purchase what happens if i buy a used one on ebay does that mean those cant be activated?

·
Registered
137 Posts
lojack is good if you plan to keep that exact bike for over 3 years, or if you mod it, otherwise I don't see too much of a point as long as you have theft coverage.

Also, $900 is quite expensive. Most places near me have it installed for $600-$700 at most, and those are with early warning paging.

GPS is good, but if you really did go to someone's place with a gun, that is a recipe for disaster... and likely to end up with you in jail and the thief with community service.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to check out zoombak. I'm gonna look around for cheaper price for install for lojack. That's funny they moved your bike but if it was done to me it wouldn't be so funny!! What gps system tour friend has to print out speed? That sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i'm not sure wich gps tracking he had but i think it was verizon fleet gps tracking service not sure though

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is a great idea also. i might have to look into the Zoombak.
Life360.com >>> Free ZoomBak, 9.95 a month for one year.. If you want to cancel the on year, just send back the unit.No termination fees. Some people love it and others hate it.. It works on the T-Mobile GSM network, so Works good here in CA in my opinion. 1 week free trial..

PS> Dont buy one off EBAY, when you can get em new and free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Life360.com >>> Free ZoomBak, 9.95 a month for one year.. If you want to cancel the on year, just send back the unit.No termination fees. Some people love it and others hate it.. It works on the T-Mobile GSM network, so Works good here in CA in my opinion. 1 week free trial..

How do u have the zoomback installed and how do u keep it charged?

·
Registered
121 Posts
How do u have the zoomback installed and how do u keep it charged?
Well its weather resistant so you can put it anywhere. You cant really lock it a box, because it works on cell service (Like your tmobile cell) It has a hook up for 12v so battery life is relative to that of your motorcycle plus the 3-5 days of internal battery life. With that said, a black plastic "Project Box" from Radio Shack, and a few bolts with tamper resistant heads dose the trick. Now I'm not saying its 100% theft proof, It is subject to reception and the we browser interface is not the best, but it gives me more pace of mind than lojack and I get to use/tinker with it rather than just sitting around. Its also a whole lot cheaper. I think everyone has heard enough about the "Determind Thief".. At this point everyone is aware that nothing is 100% safe, Im dont think Danny Ocean is going to come after my bike, its not that nice..
So the long and the short of it is, its a nice tool to have and you will most likley get a kick out of using it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts

thanks for the link. thats a good alternative for someone who cant affor Lojack

Like you said, a determined thief will get your bike no matter how you protect it. LoJack gives me enough peace of mind. Comprehensive insurance is the backup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for the link. thats a good alternative for someone who cant affor Lojack

Like you said, a determined thief will get your bike no matter how you protect it. LoJack gives me enough peace of mind. Comprehensive insurance is the backup.

In a perfect world you would have both of them. Anyone else out there have a zoombak or other Tracking System other than a Lojack?

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your going to waist that much money on piece of mind get a Scorpio alarm so that you at least have a deterrent and alarm with pager if some one touches or moves your bike. I believe it has a GPS option also but if some one takes your bike dont expect it to come back in the condition it left in. May as well take a loss and get a new one. FULL COVERAGE!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/Smallest-Real-Time-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Spy_W0QQitemZ320480523118QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item4a9e20b36e

Installed some of these for the street goons here in the bronx. All they need to do is pay for the SIM VIA whatever service and its like 15 cents to 20 cents a text message. Pay for like 200 text message and you are good to go. The unit will call home every X mins/hrs or will call home when moved within 100 feet from where it rest.

HOME IS A CELL PHONE

I use option call home when moved.

If using it with an Iphone its perfect you get a map pop up on the phone and where the bike is to the T.

This works: Just keeps the text messages charged on the SIM card.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts