Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]So I'm going to be taking a long trip from Gainesville, FL to Deals Gap in about two weeks. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions (its about 500 miles and google says 8 hours). I have a nice list of stuff that I am going to take but I wont post it here for the sake of keeping this somewhat short.

What I really wanted to do was bungee strap a duffel bag to my rear seat and put everything in there, would that work ok? I don't take many long trips (maybe thatll change) but I dont really want to spend the money to get the saddle bags if I dont need to. I also want to take some clothes and I dont know if everything will fit in the saddle bags Ive looked at in the price range of like 80 dollars.

Has anyone done trips like this before and how long did it take? Do you think I can make it in one day or will I have to stop somewhere for the night?
[/FONT]

·
Registered
579 Posts
[FONT=&quot]So I'm going to be taking a long trip from Gainesville, FL to Deals Gap in about two weeks. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions (its about 500 miles and google says 8 hours). I have a nice list of stuff that I am going to take but I wont post it here for the sake of keeping this somewhat short.

What I really wanted to do was bungee strap a duffel bag to my rear seat and put everything in there, would that work ok? I don't take many long trips (maybe thatll change) but I dont really want to spend the money to get the saddle bags if I dont need to. I also want to take some clothes and I dont know if everything will fit in the saddle bags Ive looked at in the price range of like 80 dollars.

Has anyone done trips like this before and how long did it take? Do you think I can make it in one day or will I have to stop somewhere for the night?
[/FONT]
Count on stopping at least 20->30 minutes every 100 miles, plus bathroom, food... if you do it in one day you may be to sore to ride the next. I wouldnt strap anything. Take what you can in a backpack and stop to wash it if you need to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Count on stopping at least 20->30 minutes every 100 miles, plus bathroom, food... if you do it in one day you may be to sore to ride the next. I wouldnt strap anything. Take what you can in a backpack and stop to wash it if you need to.
Hmm, I heard backbacks for a ride that long can start to really hurt. I would have like 50 lbs in it so I don't think that'll be the best thing for my neck/back. I wanna keep everything off of me besides my jacket and helmet.

What part of PA are you from? I'm originally from Johnstown if you know where that is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to make pretty regular weekend trips about 350 miles each way. I wouldn't recomend putting too much in a backpack. Your shoulders will be hurting for days. I had a relatively small duffle bag that I would pack and the straps would wrap around the bottom of the passenger seat. When I put the seat back on it would stay nice and tight and didn't move around a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
8 hrs on a bike man... gonna be rough. I can barely do 8 in a car... gl with the trip. hope its all your hoping and you travel safe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pack only the essentials in a backpack, if you strap it down make sure it strap it good. Honestly just travel light and bring only what you need and think of things you can purchase at your destination. Also correct posture on the bike and can save from a sore butt,back,etc...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i'm thinking of staying over a night and leaving a day early, I think thats my best choice. Any more opinions on strapping a bag to the rear seat? I know I've even seen people strap suitcases there but I'm only looking to do a duffel bag.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, if you take a backpack make sure you pack light. I took a trip from central ky to deals gap a couple of weeks ago (300 miles) and packed everything into one backpack. I was ready to mail it home when we left.

I will make this story kinda short for now, I will post my rant of my experience at a later time. Be prepared to deal with the Tennessee highway patrol, they are out in full force everywhere! Deals gap is not bad if you go during the week, only two cops there but more on the weekend. I know because I got pulled over twice for bs reason by the same guy and he told me. They are usually on one end or the other so once you get past them you can ride more freely. However the speed limit is 30 mph now and they will bust you for any amount over. I was crusing at 33mph with one hand on the bar and they said they clocked me at 42...BS! A guy on a 1krr right behind me even said his read 32mph.

Long story short make sure everything is legal on your bike, license plate has to be on the tail, no fender eliminator kits cuz they will bust you. Its a $179 ticket. I will personally never travel in Tennessee again on a bike unless its a cruiser or on the track. Been there a total of 4 days in the past 2 yrs and been pulled over 5 times. I have never been pulled over on my bike in any other state if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, if you take a backpack make sure you pack light. I took a trip from central ky to deals gap a couple of weeks ago (300 miles) and packed everything into one backpack. I was ready to mail it home when we left.

I will make this story kinda short for now, I will post my rant of my experience at a later time. Be prepared to deal with the Tennessee highway patrol, they are out in full force everywhere! Deals gap is not bad if you go during the week, only two cops there but more on the weekend. I know because I got pulled over twice for bs reason by the same guy and he told me. They are usually on one end or the other so once you get past them you can ride more freely. However the speed limit is 30 mph now and they will bust you for any amount over. I was crusing at 33mph with one hand on the bar and they said they clocked me at 42...BS! A guy on a 1krr right behind me even said his read 32mph.

Long story short make sure everything is legal on your bike, license plate has to be on the tail, no fender eliminator kits cuz they will bust you. Its a $179 ticket. I will personally never travel in Tennessee again on a bike unless its a cruiser or on the track. Been there a total of 4 days in the past 2 yrs and been pulled over 5 times. I have never been pulled over on my bike in any other state if that tells you anything.

Yeah, I heard they can be pretty bad there, but thats just crazy. I dont plan on racing through or anything, I'm going for the camping too and to have a good time riding. My plate is in the back and everything is good with that but I do have HID headlights and a louder pipe, I wonder if that'll pose a problem. I'm not going to change anything before I go so we'll see

·
Registered
205 Posts
I doubt you will have any problems with those mods. I'm not trying to scare ya away or anything, its a really fun ride and beautiful scenery, just giving you a heads up about the number of highway patrol out as well. You always hear about cops on the dragon, but they are many on the highway as well. If youre all legal you should be fine as long as you drive the speed limit. They might pull you over for some bs reason but unless you have actually done something wrong they wont give you a ticket, just scream and try to scare is the impression that I got. Be safe and enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
41 Posts
what i hear about strapping things to the seat is that if u have any loose straps or anything.. it can cause big problems.. i think id prefer a backpack to be safer.. and hat could u put in a backpack thats 50 lbs

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
the best way to go at least imo is a backpack i personally prefer the ones with a chest strap and stomach straps, it makes it a lot more comfortable to have the back pack tight to your body youll forget about it soon after hitting the road.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Shop around and look for a good tankbag and tailbag. Send a pm to Moeman, one of our moderators. He will give you good advice on finding good bags for the RR.

I would recommend a light backpack for your clothes/shoes, then a good sized tankbag for ur necessities/tools/maps etc. I've heard some horror stories of people strapping things to their tail and getting loose while on a trip.

As far as the actual trip, i've done a 450mile ride in 24hrs (Orlando to FL keys). Its not fun but its doable. Plan to do it with the least amount of traffic and heat/rain. You can stop every hour or so to stretch or get gas. Bring tools for sure and check your tires often for pressure and nails/screws. good luck!

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
If you're not use to riding long distances, take PLENTY of breaks & make sure to rest up and hydrate during those breaks. Get something for your seat -- whether it be a pillow, gel pad or even a corbin seat. I rode over 200 miles this last weekend and was just exhausted when I got back. My ass was numb, my back was killing me, my legs were burning from the engine heat. The first 150 miles were great, but after that it was just a pain. Our bikes are NOT fun on trips if we aren't used to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what I'm going to do now is get a backpack and put the straps under the seat, like through the seat compartment and then put the seat back on so it doesnt move at all. And then make sure its strapped in. I just cant carry that much on my back for a long ride, I'll be dying.

I was also thinking about something for the seat, I'm not exactly ready for a new seat but I'm open to other options.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Long miles+ 600rr= pain.
depending on the weather the first 100 mile are fine, after that youll be stoppin probably every 30 miles these thing are NOT made for long mile and it shows. i did a 300 mile trip in like 5 hours, the last like 80 miles were HORRIBLE. so be prepare to stop alot. make sure you travel during the coolest hours cause i was riding in like 90-100 degree weather neveragain

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
More and more I'm reading about long trips on our bikes. Guess I better condition myself for Christmas. I'm plannin on ridin from Biloxi, MS to Macon, GA. Gonna let my family take my luggage, but I'll trip there on my bike. With them takin my stuff, I'll be able to minimize what I'm takin on the bike.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Get some saddlebags and a tailbag. I've got the Cortech Sport Saddlebags and they're fantastic. I can't imagine wearing a backpack for that long. Also, you'll have more fun (but it'll take longer) if you take backroads rather than interstates. Use Google Maps and hit 'Avoid Highways.' You'll meet cool people, eat at non-chain restaurants, see the countryside, and even get to ride a few twisty roads on your way up. I rode from Nashville TN to Vero Beach, FL and back last year for Spring Break, all via backroads, and it was AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
if you do wear the back pack loosen the shoulder straps so the bag hangs low enough to rest on yer rear seat that will take the weight off yer shoulders, just tie it in to make sure it cant flop around, makes things much safer/easier

1 - 20 of 25 Posts