Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long Road Trip in June from Minnesota to California and back

Like the Title says I am going on a long road trip to California in June. Here is the basic route I am planning on going: Chanhassen, MN to Chanhassen, MN - Google Maps Also will be spending time on a few of the roads out there North of San Fransisco and North of Los Angeles. My plans are to leave Minnesota on June 8th and be back in Minnesota around June 24th or so. I am taking 3 weeks off of work for this trip so I am not rushed getting back.

Here are some of the roads I am going to be hitting up while out there:
Tuna tuna canyon rd - Google Maps
PCH North of San Fransisco Sausalito, CA to Marshall, CA - Google Maps
Mulholland Drive Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps
CR 23 in Topanga Canyon CR 27, topanga canyon, CA - Google Maps
CR 33 Near Ojai CR 33 ojai CA - Google Maps

If anyone has any other roads suggestions post them up. Also while i am out there I will keep my eyes out for Group Rides on the forums.

I will be doing NO CAMPING on this trip, my idea of roughing it is a hotel that does not have wifi.

I also will be doing a blog for this trip updating it daily, and will post a link to the blog once I leave. For anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Here is what I am going to be riding out there, and I do know that the saddlebags are on backwards(this was just a test fitting)

Thanks all.

·
OG
3,350 Posts
Everything looks good except the tank bag. If I were going on your trip I would probably see if I could not take it. That way I would be more comfy in the twisties, and just overall. Also, I would hardwire a Valentine One radar detector with weatherproof case that is sold online. That's what I had planned for my trip to Cali as well. On top of that, I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 weatherproof GPS off eBay (they're the best GPS for motorcycles ever made) so I could route everything on it. (You can program your route ahead of time on it with your computer). It will alert you to the nearest fuel at all times. Really great GPS.

Hope this helps you consider some other options and I hope you have a great time! :thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything looks good except the tank bag. If I were going on your trip I would probably see if I could not take it. That way I would be more comfy in the twisties, and just overall. Also, I would hardwire a Valentine One radar detector with weatherproof case that is sold online. That's what I had planned for my trip to Cali as well. On top of that, I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 weatherproof GPS off eBay (they're the best GPS for motorcycles ever made) so I could route everything on it. (You can program your route ahead of time on it with your computer). It will alert you to the nearest fuel at all times. Really great GPS.

Hope this helps you consider some other options and I hope you have a great time! :thumbup:
The bags will be left at the hotel when I go hit the twisties. And thanks for the info on the Zumo, I will have to look into that.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That should be a fun trip. Do you have any "stay dry" gear?

Would also recommend a charger for your cellphone that can hook up to your bike battery for a long trip like that on roads with large gaps between civilization LOL.

Look forward to seeing your updates.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Wow!
I take off June 10th from Alaska to Cali!
Meet u at the Golden Gate!

Cheers and have fun. Contact me and we can meet .

I'm June 10th till the 28th.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That should be a fun trip. Do you have any "stay dry" gear?

Would also recommend a charger for your cellphone that can hook up to your bike battery for a long trip like that on roads with large gaps between civilization LOL.

Look forward to seeing your updates.
Wow!
I take off June 10th from Alaska to Cali!
Meet u at the Golden Gate!

Cheers and have fun. Contact me and we can meet .

I'm June 10th till the 28th.
I have some pretty good rain gear and yes I have a charger mounted, I also have a throttle lock for the long boring straight sections of highway.

I got the luggage from Motorcyle-superstore at a pretty good price.

and Nuttynu sounds like a plan, when we get closer to that date I will pm you my number and we can make some plans.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My only recommendation is that you stay a little further south in Utah on your trip home. Something like Vegas, Zion NP, Torrey UT, Moab, UT, Telluride CO, Aspen, CO, Denver. Tons of cool stuff to see and awesome roads to ride on that route.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
yeah that looks like fun, but take some rope or stretch ties with in case the tank bag bothers you, you can always tie it to the back or side somewhere.

i remember trying to bullet with a tank bag, you keep forgetting its there and then hit your chin on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My only recommendation is that you stay a little further south in Utah on your trip home. Something like Vegas, Zion NP, Torrey UT, Moab, UT, Telluride CO, Aspen, CO, Denver. Tons of cool stuff to see and awesome roads to ride on that route.
The trip back home is planned to go thru Vegas out to Denver then up north to South Dakota.

Also, what are your plans for oil change and chain wax?
I am going to carry a can of chain wax with me and I will find a local shop to do an oil change while I am out in California or whenever I hit the 3000 mile mark.

Yaaaaay !!! Sounds good !!

Btw ... It's 6 weeks till take off...

Are you ready... I need to start prepping up !
I am chomping at the bit and can't wait for the trip. I have everything I need for the trip already. Might pick up a few things here or there that I haven't thought of yet, but I have an AirHawk seat, compression pants, compression shorts, and a compression shirt for the long rides. When are you planning on being in San Francisco?

How many miles a day do you plan on riding?
On the trip out there I am planning on 800 to 1000 miles per day just so I can get out there sooner to have more time to screw around on the roads out there and on the way back home.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
I depart June 10th. And I think I should mbe in San Fran by the 16th ish , some where around that. I'll look into my planner . Again I'll be averaging 600-700 miles a day thru Canada . And once I hit WA, I'll slow it down a bit and enjoy the scenery . Deff will keep in touch for exact place .

Only blog I'll have is Facebook updates and etc.. If you have one , add me
https://www.facebook.com/nuttynu.riding?ref=ts&fref=ts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I depart June 10th. And I think I should mbe in San Fran by the 16th ish , some where around that. I'll look into my planner . Again I'll be averaging 600-700 miles a day thru Canada . And once I hit WA, I'll slow it down a bit and enjoy the scenery . Deff will keep in touch for exact place .

Only blog I'll have is Facebook updates and etc.. If you have one , add me
https://www.facebook.com/nuttynu.riding?ref=ts&fref=ts
Added you on Facebook and I will probably head back up to San Fran around the 15th or so depending on when you are going to get there. For me this is a total fly by the seat of pants kind of Vacation (which is a first for me) so I don't have any set in stone dates that I plan on being anywhere.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ya know, I wouldn't worry about oil. The spec from Honda is 8K miles. Most of your trip will be highway droning, which is easy on the engine. Change it before you go, then change it when you get back. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ya know, I wouldn't worry about oil. The spec from Honda is 8K miles. Most of your trip will be highway droning, which is easy on the engine. Change it before you go, then change it when you get back. You'll be fine.
this.

why the hell would you worry about an oil change on a 3000 mile trip???

Oil is good for 10k miles and more...if you use a good synthetic

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this.

why the hell would you worry about an oil change on a 3000 mile trip???

Oil is good for 10k miles and more...if you use a good synthetic

Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
992 Posts
Man, I bet that thing is a wheelie machine!! lol. Nice setup. I'm jealous of all you guys taking these long trips. What I would give to have just 30 days straight of no work. I would go on a killer cross-country-canada-and maybe even Alaska trip on the bike just because I could.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts