Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I haven't been an owner of my RR for more than a year... but I can't stop thinking about what it would be like to take it across country on a trip. I must be insane for thinking this. I'm sure I would get major monkey butt, but for some reason, I would love to travel from my current home back to my hometown in Cleveland Ohio area. It's about 1300 miles. Think I could do it in 2 days?

Yikes. I must stop thinking about this.

What is your longest day trip?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
350 or so miles in about 5 hours. The trip wasn't absolutely horrible, but I definitely wouldn't want to go much longer than that.

I've actually had much longer days on the bike, but when you're in the twisties it doesn't count:) What is killer is staying in the same position down straight roads not putting your legs down for a couple hours at a time.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
From the math your looking at 23.3636363636636------ of riding

I find wearing a suit make the ride more bearable riding around NY.

I thinking stoping every 100 miles for a break should help with your ride/trip

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
i've logged over 450 miles in one day on the RR, most of that being 4-lane highway. i was completely miserable on the way back home, the last 100 or so miles. if you can keep it to 2 lane roads with some curves or twisties, it's not so bad. i did 300 miles of twisty riding last Saturday, about 50 of which was 4-lane. wasn't too bad of a day.

It's like GA_RR said, the sitting in one position for too long that kills ya.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
A hair over 350 miles for me...about 100 miles of that was highway, the rest was twisties, mountainside and canyon riding...too long to enjoy though. My butt started cramping up after about a few hours. 200 miles is about the max ill ride anymore and seems to be about the perfect afternoons ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've done Oklahoma to Florida and back in 3 days. 1700 miles roundtrip, two six hundred mile days and one five hundred miler. Mix of backwoods highways and interstate. So your plan is do-able, but might not be fun. Had some of our weekend rides turn into 350-400 miles in a day, not near as bad on the body though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Miami, FL

to

Los Angeles, CA

2,800 miles

46 stops for gas

Wednesday night till Sunday afternoon

I have pictures.........stopped at every state sign.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
FSURR said:
Miami, FL

to

Los Angeles, CA

2,800 miles

46 stops for gas

Wednesday night till Sunday afternoon

I have pictures.........stopped at every state sign.......
You had to fill up about every 60 miles????

·
Registered
487 Posts
Down in the smoky mountains we logged in over 500 miles of nothing but twisties in one day. sun up to sun down. Very exhausting physically and mentally.

·
Registered
904 Posts
ricerocket1135 said:
You had to fill up about every 60 miles????
My back was absolutely killing me.........and well..........my parents didn't like the motorcycle, much less the trip, so I made alot of stops

There are areas between San Antonio and El Paso where gas stations are far and few between.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
I rode on an f4i for 8 hours with maybe 5minute stops every 2 hours. I didn't do alot of miles because I was just cruising around the city (i know 8hours of cruising... im sad). I'm sure you can take the bike across country but a few tips for you:
1- Take regular breaks to give your body a rest
2- Drink alot of water every now and then
3- If you can, go out with other bikers itll keep u entertained n makes the journey funner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Dad and a couple of friends rode the Three Flags Classic rally in 1995. I was 19 at the time and had my motorcycle license for about a week and a half. Los Angeles to the start point in Nogales, Mexico to the finish in Whistler, B.C. Canada, then back down to L.A. We rode from sun-up to sun down WHEW!!! if i recall it was somewhere in the lines of about 5200 miles or so. Regardless, we did it all in 12 days. Although I didnt have my CBR back then, I was borrowing one of my Dads friends bikes, a Honda Pacific Coast, pretty nice ride back then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2600 kms in 3 days calgary to kelowna, kelowna to vancouver, around there for a while then back to calgary. lots of boring hwy. i just wanted to see if i could do it.
it was like 32+ hrs or so...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did 1000 miles on a weekend, and afterwards I didn't want to ride for weeks. It was a loooong ride, especially on that hard honda seat.

·
Registered
584 Posts
boston to myrtle beach

did it in 2 days, mostly back roads , took the turnpike through Jersey to Atlantic City, thats all the hw I saw. The only advise I can offer is
1. Invest in a Corbin or a Seargent your buttocks will thank you,
2. Get GOOD gloves. By the time I got to myrtle beach I could barely use my hands from all the vibration in the bars.
3. Keep the route interesting and you will be fine.
My bigest mistake was my back pack. I took way too much crap w/me, killed my shoulders, so pack as light as you can. Have fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
From San Diego to the Grand Canyon in Arizon and back to San Diego in three days and 1100 mi. It was a blast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the replies! I'm still considering it... but I'm only taking a week off of work. Maybe next summer if I take two weeks off, then I can enjoy a slower and more of the back country. I don't know. My ass and back are telling me 'no.'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts