Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering changing oil with semi-synth every 3k and all other reg. maintenance is performed etc.

zero race miles.. daily driven but taken up top every now again

how long do these engines last? i tried searching and came up with nothing.

also my bike has a jardine slip on with no remapping. it seems to run just fine though... is it ok to just roll like that? i dont really feel like buying a 400 dollar power comander quite yet.

thanks guys

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
welcome aborad man , the pwoer commander wont run you 400
but getting a custom map will run you half that , you do not have
to get one right now but consider getting a custom map would
be the ultimate way to take advantage of such device

Honda's will run for a long time if u maintain them properly
my 03 RR has 38 k miles , i sold my 94 F2 with 50k miles
and i am not the only one with such mileage

·
Registered
222 Posts
IMHO, maintenance is the key.

I had a 97 F3 that had 78k miles when I sold it last year. It was still a very trackworthy bike. I had no doubt it would easily reach 100k miles. I change my oil every 4k miles. It doesn't matter if you use synthetic or dino oil. They key is changing it often. There are people who have over 100k miles on dino oil.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Synthetic is better...wear tests show the differences between it and conventional oils. The key is to follow a good maintenance schedule of changing the oil every 2-3K...4k if synthetic ie. Amsoil. Don't follow the 8k oil change intervals as stated in the service manual, that is asking for trouble. Look into Amsoil MCF 10W-40. It has what your bike needs. Longevity of the motor varies, although Honda motors are damn near bullet proof when treated properly.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
thanx for the good info. i'll definitely look into synthetic oil. how much do u guys spend per oil change?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for synth it can run 10 dollars a quart.. so we need 2.8 so it's 30 plust a 10 dollar filter, i roll with the 12 dollar k&n filter bc it's so easy to take off and filters so well

so look at spending around 45.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just remember whichever way you go with the oils that the most important factor in providing protection for your engine is the oils viscosity. Not many people will dispute that (at least thats what I have been taught in every class I attended and every oil rep I've spoken to)

So irregardless of what manufacturer dino, semi, or full synthetic, make SURE you don't leave it in there so long that it breaks down and loses viscosity.

I change my oil after every two trackdays or after every 2000 miles without question. At 5000 miles viscosity is well under the 40 weight which you started with but at 2000 it is still almost at 40. One more thing learn to do the oil changes yourself and you will immediately start saving money.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
toyotafj40s said:
for synth it can run 10 dollars a quart.. so we need 2.8 so it's 30 plust a 10 dollar filter, i roll with the 12 dollar k&n filter bc it's so easy to take off and filters so well

Not all of us pay that much. You can get the Hpnda filter for $6 online. You can get the Amsoil oil at discount if you sign up for the preferred customer plan. I pay $24 for an oil change and that includes Amsoil MCF 10W-40 and a Honda filter.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
mikespike2 said:
Where do you get the filter for $6?
Correction, I was wrong, I get them for $6.99...but no tax with free shipping. The filter is the same filter used on other bikes...filter #: 15410-MCJ-003. That wouldn't change the actual price of my oil change due to the fact I rounded up as it was. I bought a bunch of filters at one time along with some Honda polish to make it well worth it. We can't get the Honda Polish in the spray can in California anymore due to the current law.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=18&str=10&ID=68467410

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is a question, what if you don't put that many miles on your bike in a year, say 1000-2000. How often would you change the oil then? Let's also assume that there in only one or two track days in there?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
if I were you and only ran your bike 1000-2000 miles a year, I would change my oil every 6 months, with filter change. I think the manual calls for some time frame same as cars do (ie 3,000 miles or 3 months kind of thing).

I dont bother with synthetic oil because I change my oil VERY frequently. But thats just me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you for the tip. The next change will be in May 07.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yes, I do it every 6 months or 2,500mi...whichever comes first.

·
Registered
888 Posts
toyotafj40s said:
ah, thanks guys. ill look into a custom map this summer. so you dont recommend running full synth is it a waste of my time? what about semi?

I don't think it's a waste of your time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
To answer your original question, I have been told by engines experts that a bike engine should manage 80 000 to 120 000km before needing a rebore. They have been known to last well over 150 000km without breaking, but those engines had excellent maintainance history. So look after it, and it will last you a damn long time...

K

·
0 Posts
toyotafj40s said:

incorrect. An oil change with filter requires 3.1 qts, not 2.8, unless you are talking about an oil change WITHOUT a filter... but you'd be foolish not to change the filter out. They cost like what, 5 bucks for a purolator?

so what is needed is 3 qts. believe me the tenth of a quart doesn't matter...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts