Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem with this? I dont get it, when I try to do it, I always feel like I'm gonna cut the corner and hit the curb. Any pointers? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Analyze the turn before you get to it, slow to the right speed, and pick a good line. You shouldnt have a problem if you do this. The worst thing you can do is look at the curb. If you target fixate you might end up going off the side of the road and down a canyon...like I did.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I used to have the same problem. I would always worry that I would miss something on the road right in front of me if I don't take a quick look down. The trick is to study it before you get to the turn. You should look for potholes, curb, debris, etc before you begin the turn. Once you determine your path, then look to the end of that path before you lean into the turn.
It's a little bit disconcerting at first to not look down right in front of you, but if you learn to scan ahead in two stages, you'll get used to it and be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You also have to learn to "use" your peripheral vision. Just as PaPa was talking about connecting the dots, as you look through to your points, your peripheral vision should be attuned to what's going on in your immediate circle. Just like when you are scanning for hazards on a standard ride, your peripheral is scanning while looking through a turn.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In the MSF class, we were told to look through the turn. We were also told to scan the road certain distances ahead of you. You want to scan far ahead (12 seconds ahead) and you want to pay attention what is right in front of you (2 seconds ahead). I combine all of these to ride through a turn and not hit any hazards.

I found that the "where you look is where you go" to be 100% true. It's like your eyes take control of your hands and you start to adjust the throttle perfectly to maintain a nice curve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts