Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'm looking to max out at $350. Currently I have a GMax, garbage and I've come to realize my head is worth a little more then $100.

Right now the top contenders are the HJC RPS-10, the Shoei RF-1100, and the Bell RS-1. I was only able to try on the HJC and the Shoei for a short amount of time at a local shop and both seemed to fit very well.

Does anyone have any preference for one over the other or can flat out say to stay away from a certain helmet. Right now I'm able to find the HJC for $270, so thats $80 cheaper then the other helmets. But, if it doesn't meet the same standards as the Shoei or Bell, then I don't have a problem spending the money on the other two. Two of the more important things for me are sound (along with everyone else, I know) and ability to swap shields (the reason I'm no longer interested in the Icon Variant).

I also just found the Bell Star on sale at Sportbike Track Gear within my price but I'm not crazy about the graphic. However, if it's more crazy to pass up a deal like that I'm sure the graphic could grow on me.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I've got a trash HJC that I am lookin to replace.

In the same ballpark of helmet brands you are as well, although more specifically leaning towards the bells. But the Shoei RF1100 Merciless is just to bad ass.

Definitely subscribed in interest to see peoples advice/opinions.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Go to a shop and try on every brand of helmet in your size dont look at price or color and find out which one fits the best and then find that one in a color or design you like

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like the idea of a blind test and think I'll have to try this with the Shoei and HJC, unfortunately my local shop doesn't carry many different styles or brands of helmets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn it, how do you people find such good deals. I saw someone else say they got a new AGV GP-Tech Elements helmet (dream helmet as of right now) for under $400, I may have died a little inside when I saw that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went with bell mainly cause of the transitional lens which you have to purchase separately. Comparing it with my arai, it's super comfy and quick release for lens and the features of the helmet is really nice. I do find the helmet being noticeably bigger than my arai and shoei rf-1000.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It all comes down to what fits you best. Make sure you try a helmet on for at least 5 minutes. When I was looking for my helmets I tried on a few HJC's. They felt fine at first, but after a couple of minutes I started to get a lot of pressure on my forehead.

I've got a Shoei XR/RF1100 and I love it, it's so comfortable, light and the visors change out really easily. It's my first helmet so don't have anything to compare it to noise wise, but it's certainly not loud IMO.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
I'm a fan of my Bells. Since you haven't tried one on, I'll ficus my info on them. I used to wear a medium HJC until last year. I now wear Bell, and won't be going back. The quality is awesome, customer service, should you need it, is top notch, they fit my head just like an HJC, and I wear a medium Bell Vortex and Star. I don't notice the pressure in the forehead like I did from the HJC. Noise is about the same in my Vortex, the Star is a little louder than my HJC, but not by much.

The Vortex, RS1, and Star are all Snell 2010 certified. They all use the same shield, so if you buy a different helmet down the line, you don't need to buy a new visor. The Photochromic shield is amazing, and worth the $100. The Star and RS1 have some incredibly soft interior fabric, while the Vortex is a step below, but still very comfortable. I haven't ridden in the RS1, but my Vortex and Star are both very stable at speeds. The shells of the HJC and the Bells seem to be about the size, not sure about the Shoei.

In all honesty, any of the three you're looking at are miles above that Gmax. My choice would be the Bell, but if they don't fit your noggin it's really a moot point. If you can't find a Star at your price point, or an RS1 graphic you like, don't discount the Vortex. It may be a cheaper price point, but you get a ton of helmet for the money.

Good luck, and post pics when you get a new lid.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks cbr6racr, I'm going to a different dealer today and to hopefully try on a wider variety of helmets. I'll keep you guys posted as to what fit my heads best.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just ordered a Bell RS-1 yesterday from STG to replace my HJC. I have never heard a bad word about them and when a salesman tells you to go with the Bell instead of spending more on a different helment, you know they have to be good. Lot's of good sales going on right now on them as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
RevZilla has the HJC FS-15 carbons for $360, free shipping and no tax. I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and I'm LOVING it; I upgraded from an Exo-400. Just throwing my 2 cents in there just in case you haven't come across the helmet yet because I was looking for a very light and quiet helmet and the FS-15 carbon was exactly that. It also looks awesome with the clean carbon fiber weave shell.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are the Star's still on sale at STG? I bought a Star this year and it's really nice. I find it a little loud and a little bigger width wise than other helmets but don't regret buying it for a minute. Quality stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RevZilla has the HJC FS-15 carbons for $360, free shipping and no tax. I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and I'm LOVING it; I upgraded from an Exo-400. Just throwing my 2 cents in there just in case you haven't come across the helmet yet because I was looking for a very light and quiet helmet and the FS-15 carbon was exactly that. It also looks awesome with the clean carbon fiber weave shell.
I saw that today and it's also now in the running. I went and tried on the Shoei and HJC for an extended period of time today (about ten minutes each) and both fit my head very well. I just wish I could find a dealer that sells Bells so I could go try one on. I might just have to take advantage of a companies free shipping/returns so I can try one on. I'll keep everyone posted about what I helmet I finally decide on.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hard to beat these Bell lids nowadays. It's all about the shape of your head though. were you able to try anything on? Let me know if you have an questions, you might say i have a small helmet obsession......

Are the Star's still on sale at STG? I bought a Star this year and it's really nice. I find it a little loud and a little bigger width wise than other helmets but don't regret buying it for a minute. Quality stuff.
sure are, $350 for a few of the closeout graphics. correct on the width, they're a bit of a round oval fit. work well for most people, only the very long oval guys have a problem (me).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I've heard good things about the RPS-10 from a few friends. I have a bell star. No complaints. I would say since you put that sound matters is that it is fairly loud at speed. I ride with ear plugs so I don't really care. Also it flows A TON of air. More than a RF1100.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RS-1 all day, tried and considered all the lids you have and the bell RS-1 hands down was better in my opinion than all of them. The liner material is just far superior to the other two and they do everything just a tad better IMO.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts