Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends wants to get a bike. She wants it sport, but cbr is too much power for her. Kawa 250R looks good and everyone say its a good starter bike. anything else in this style, but in 250cc range that is a good a good starter as well?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not in this country (assuming you're in the U.S.). Tell her to get a Ninjette. Great bike. Glad I started on one.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If it were me... I would buy a ninja 250 just because you can pick them up used for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
However... I am in New Zealand right now, and while looking around at the local Honda dealer, I discovered they have CBR125RRs here... lol I would get one of those for a first bike. They also have a 1000cc streetfighter... Why don't we get those?

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea for her the 250 is fine. even tho i stared with a cbr600, was pretty scary at first but i kno its way to much power for a first time rider. i had ridden dirt bikes since i was a kid, so i had a little experience, but dirt and street are completly different. plus 250's run cheap and when she is ready for an upgrade you shud be able to sell it for around the same price, assuming there is no damage when you do sell. but good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea for her the 250 is fine. even tho i stared with a cbr600, was pretty scary at first but i kno its way to much power for a first time rider. i had ridden dirt bikes since i was a kid, so i had a little experience, but dirt and street are completly different. plus 250's run cheap and when she is ready for an upgrade you shud be able to sell it for around the same price, assuming there is no damage when you do sell. but good luck and have fun.
I started with cbr600 as well. recently actually... with no experience of dirt bikes. was pretty scary on main roads for the first 200 miles. Its easier and more fun now, but she doesn't want all that power anyway... not to mention that she is a lot lighter then me...

p.s. I researched the top 5 cycle manufacturers and looks like Kawa is the only one that makes 250cc sport bikes...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ninja 250's definitely a good choice.

I have a buddy who started riding last year on one and he swears by it as a bike to get some miles and confidence underneath you before moving up to something with more ponies (last fall he picked up a ZX-6r).

I'd get the black versus the team green version if you have a choice. My friend got lots of positive comments on the look of his machine and he had no problem selling it when the time came.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im kind of with Dirty's catagory, and I know the 07 and new cbr600s arent that bad to start on with an even powerband like it has, an 06 r6 would be a bad idea, that power is just waiting at 10k rpm to surprise and toss someone off. As for smaller bikes, the 250 ninja is actualy a blast still to ride and handle, truth be told, and Ive heard nothign bit good things about the cbr 125. Its also kinda cute, it looks like a cr 125 with street fairings on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd check the restrictions on getting her motorcycle license. In BC you can't take your motorcycle road test on a 125cc motorcycle and get your full license. 250cc's are ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts