Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just graduated and entered the dismal job market of our recessed economy (US) in December. My first bike was a 600rr that I destroyed in a canyon on my 20th birthday. I absolutely loved the bike, but had very little to compare it to until I saved a couple grand up and blew it on a 00 gsxr 750.

I like my gixxer a lot, though it has had some mechanical problems along the way, and it is like one of the family. However, I promised myself that when I got a decent paying job I was going to fill the cbr void that Ive been dealing with since the sad departure of my 03.

About two months ago I took a job out in Doha, Qatar and almost immediately went to check out the bike situation at the few showrooms littered around the peninsula. Now Im almost done with my 3 month probation period and will most likely be staying to build my resume a bit and allow the US job market to bounce back some more before I try to find employment state side again (or at least some place that isnt under the domineering islamic laws).

The big issue is that theres only one shop for each of the respective bike manufacturers and everyone but the Kawasaki dealership wants an arm and a leg for some their showroom sportbikes. The Honda distributor is asking the same price for the 09 that they are charging for the '10 which is about 14300 US. As such and coupled with the bike shootouts Ive been reading, have been nearly persuaded to go with the zx6r because I got the dealer to about 9500 for their 09 (keep in mind there is no tax here) or paying around the same for the triumph 675..

The more I read about the zx, the more I hear about little issues that its having, like pulsing power at around 10k rpms or chatter under heavy brakeing. I think I might be back to the Honda shop because it just feels shitty to think about cheating on my red blooded nature again, but how do I justify the cost? Im definitely going back to the dealership to break balls on their 600rr's because in the long run I would probably be happier with it, but Im just so torn right now.

Luckily I have another month to figure it out... and judging by forum Ive chosen to ask for advice on, you all know which direction Im leaning, but anyway... since we all know people who ride the competitors super sports, what have you guys heard? and keeping the drastic range in pricing, what do you think?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love my CBR, dont get me wrong, but $4800 sounds a lot better in my pocket for upgrades than it does on the OTD price... If I didnt get my CBR I would have for sure bought the 675.

Ultimately its your choice (which I know you dont want to hear), but even if you dont get a CBR this time around, theres always once you get back to the states. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why do you have to get a new bike? You can get a really good used bike and save a lot of money. I picked up my 07 with 600 miles on it for 6,000. Mint condition too.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Since you do not want to stay in Qatar for a long period save your cash and get something where you end up for a longer period, or buy used. Exporting a bike will be horrendous.
If you luck is like mine two days after you buy a new bike you will get a great offer on a new job in an area you want to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
**** it looks like I double posted.. Anyway, I was thinking what you guys were, but the used bikes I have seen here are absolutely thrashed. If I could find one that looks like a pretty good deal then I would be interested, but the shops that are selling bikes are asking way to much for bikes that have been treated worse then toilet paper. The bike exportation will probably be a bit of a hasstle, but if I can get a dealer down on price, not having to pay taxes should offset most of the cost of shipping. Not to mention, right now im stuck paying like 600 a month for a ******* nissan sunny which is a gutless box that Im flushing money down the drain to never own, so I figure I might as well put the money into something I want.

I would definitely love a job offer in someplace better then here, the only redeeming quality about the area is the opportunity to ride at losail where the likes of stoner and rossi carve up the same strips of assphault every year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts