Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 600cc are not the ideal choice for first bike so i wont really go into it. I just want to know what would be a good first bike, I know about kawa 250 and cbr 250 but are there any others out there that have the sport look. i passed my msf in February and i really want the 600rr or zx6r. i had some time learning to ride 1st gear and second gear on my uncles busa but was to scared to go up. and also if i was to go with a 600 wat would be the ideal pick im 5'9 at 125lbs. thanks i will seat on a bike before getting one. Also the busa made me piss my pants. I know everyone has a wild side but i want something to learn on and then get something sexii:cruising::gun1:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi
My name is sami(Sam)
To be honest my first bike is Honda CBR 600 RR 2007.
All you need:-
1- trust yourself you can do it.
2- don't be over confidante.
3- keep a speed limit for yourself like for example 50 mile per hour.
4- read on website or watch videos on YouTube how to ride cbr 600.

Trust me my friend once you treat your bike like a lady. You will feel both of you are one.

I hope this is help you.
Good luck, and keep in your mind
Safety first.

SAM I am

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know you are set on getting a sport bike to start out but there are so many better reasons to start on something smaller. I'm 6' 200lbs and started on a ninja 250 and it was a great first bike. Cheap to repair. Cheap to insure. Great to learn on. For me, I realized it would be better to have a good starting foundation before I moved up to a 600cc sport bike. But Its different for everyone. Maybe even try one of the tamer 600's like an SV or even a 500. Props on the MSF course but If you're only getting a sport bike for the looks, I'd advise you to start somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
459 Posts
Some beginner options:
Ninja 250
Ninja 500
Ninja 650r
Fz6
SV 650
Gs 500
Cbr 250
Buell blast

These are pretty good beginner- intermediate bikes that still have a "sport" look to them. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
this question has been asked and discussed to death, however i still welcome that you would take the time to investigate your options. please go ahead and do a search on this on 600rr.net, you will find other posts on this subject as well

my opinion has slightly changed recently. i started on a 250 ninja, and found it slightly slow to ride in (i.e braking in the engine) but once you can use the full rpm spectrum, it is more fun to commute on than the cbr. its fast, cheap and handles traffic well. So its neneficial both for learning to ride and commuting to work.

why do i say i changed my mind recently? buddy got a 125cc and broke his shoulder within 2 weeks due to not doing his homework, therefore id suggest you study how to ride correctly and safely, then get thecorrect safety gear, before you decide what you are going to ride. the problem with both (600 or 250 or 50 for that matter) is that you think you are ready for it before you really are. even now, after riding for a year, i find myself in situations where i realise i nearly killed myself.

be safe, be responsible, and NEVER bring emotion into this. ride with your head, not your hart, but also buy with your head.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi
My name is sami(Sam)
sorry nightwolf, but i disagree with "trust yourself, you can do it". its not about trusting yourself, its about learning to avoid the dangers which are not obvious. trusting oneself is a sure way to an accident.

i agree with over confidence, but this rule will be broken when one trusts yourself and think youve got it figured out. a noob is bound to make thuis mistake, i know i did and its a miracle i did not hurt myself.

speed limit. yes good idea. keep a speed limit and stick to it.

i lived on youtube for days looking at all the accident and rider training videos i could find. this is a good idea to do not inly when you begin, but also regularly in future to remind you that experienced riders die

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi
My name is sami(Sam)

Trust me my friend once you treat your bike like a lady. You will feel both of you are one.

I hope this is help you.
Good luck, and keep in your mind
Safety first.

SAM I am
agree with this guy...08 600rr graffiti was my first bike and I've still got it. Just be responsible. I stayed off of freeways/interstates for quite some time and avoided any tight corners.
If you are responsible then there is no issue. I have been riding it for 2 years and still haven't wrecked(on the street). The fact that you've already taken the msf course is awesome, now make sure you get proper gear.
You will probably want to trade up after a few months of solid riding on a 250 so save some time and money by getting what you want. SV650 would also be a good bike. it would be best to wait a couple months and pick up one for cheap in the off season

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I know everyone has a wild side but i want something to learn on and then get something sexii:cruising::gun1:
That's a damn good idea you have there. I commend you on your maturity. A Ninja 250 might be perfect for the Bay area, because it's pretty small. It will be easy to maneuver in traffic and easy to find parking. An SV-650 might be an OK choice. They're fast, but not as radical as a CBR. Here's a thought out of left field. How about a dual sport? Honda CRF-230 or Yamaha TW 200, something like that. They're not sportbikes by any stretch, but man, they would be a blast in San Fran. Splitting lanes, jumping curbs, riding on the sidewalk. You'd be unstoppable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would trust yourself and I would get either an SV650 or a CBR600rr if you want a more race feel. I own the CBR and had a sv and would buy another. That sv taught me a ton and I think you would do well with one if you are unsure you want all of the power of CBR600rr plus with the sv you learn cornerspeed cause if not the super sports will take ya out. good luck man

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never rode a bike before hopping on my buddies ninja 250 in a parking lot a few weeks before getting my bike. I was super set on a CBR600RR and then I rode the 250. It actually scared me! At the moment I'm on a 2011 CBR250R and I totally love it. These people talk about respecting the 600 and you'll be okay and all other stuff. It might be true, but I'm beating the 250 and having a ton of fun. I haven't rode a 600cc bike, so I can't compare, but knowing my bike tops out in 6th where the RR tops out in first gear is enough for me to strongly encourage you to get something smaller. Even on a 250 and a novice rider you can get yourself in a ton of trouble by making little mistakes. The 600 is not as forgiving. It has lower bars so steering is more responsive (250 is pretty darn responsive though) it also weights a bit more which will really hurt when you stop with the wheel turned and drop the bike. I did this on the 250 and luckily I'm a pretty stout guy with good reflexes and jumped off and caught it before touching the ground, but another 100 pounds and it would have been over for my muffler, mirror, and turn signal.

Be responsible and give the 250cc a real consideration. I can say without any doubt that I'm glad I have the experience of one now so I won't be caught in such a learning curve with a super sport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I grew up riding dirtbikes, so I thought a 600rr would be a good place to start also. I bought one an told myself I would not go fast on it til I got comfortable with it. Little did I know it would be at the end of the neighbor hood and I have loved it every since. There are some pretty high cost to owning a sport bike. Tire only last around 4000 miles, oil changes every other month, and all the damn riding gear. Just keep in mind shops usually charge 80 bucks to change the oil so the best thing to do is buy a service Manuel and do everything yourself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think it depends on what kind of driver you are.. from my experience if youre an a-hole driver in a car youre an ahole driver on a bike no matter the style or size.. me and my brother are night and day..im mostly a 5+ over driver.. and a lil tamer on the bike.. my brother thinks hes driving a race car no matter what hes driving and is crazy on a bike.. i learned to ride on my buddies 03 r6. i also took the msf course.and my first bike is an 08 600rr.. i have another buddy that has a kawasaki 250.. its fine in the city but on highway speeds it lacks.. but he loves the bike and it is a pretty decent bike

·
Registered
152 Posts
IF you took the MSF and felt confident when u passed there is no reason not to start on a cbr600. Some people get a lot out of the class and some don't. So it can be hit or miss. If you struggled through the course i would probably suggest something smaller and more error friendly. Just leave plenty of room for error on the road, as with any bike you will ride it will always be a learning experience, bigger faster sportier bikes just have less room for error. It all boils down to how much you respect the bike your riding, it goes fast and stops fast, always remember that. The course lets you get a feel for how to operate a bike at most, and what you take away from the course is totally dependent on the person taking it. We had people in my class literally get nothing out of the course, yet most still managed to pass, i don't think i would suggest to any of them to jump on a cbr600.

The day after i got my endorsement through the MSF course i was on my CBR600rr, rode it like a girl for a couple weeks, gave myself plenty of room on the road, and just took it easy until i build up confidence(especially cornering). Ride it like you want to live and you wont have any more trouble on it then any other bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy a gen4 ZX-10r ABS. Turn on all the electronic nannies. Power mode 3 (60% power). Traction/Wheelie Control 3 (aka grandma mode). Anti-lock brakes. This would be at least as safe as any CBR600rr and you'll never outgrow it! Might be cost prohibitive in which case...

... a naked SV650 because you'll dump it and might as well not lose as much money when you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
during the course the motorcycle we had were very easy to ride, i had no problem gaining speed, switching gears or breaking. I know it comes down with what i decide to get but what are yall opinions on a cbr 250r or ninja 250r if i went with the 250's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts