Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just bought a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers exhaust for my 05, I saw on here a few months ago of a guy who shortened his two brothers exhuast I can't find it nor was I able to view the pic's of it. If anyone knows which member that was or how to find that posting please help. Also if anyone has done it and could do a write up on it that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i have shortened my CF 2bros can by 1.5" so that the tip lines up perfectly with the tail-light/end of tail rather than sticking out. what did you need to know? you basically just cut the back of the can with a fine-tooth hacksaw, but first put painter's tape along the line of where you're gonna cut so that the carbon fiber doesn't crack. you will also need to take 1.5" off the packing (you can use scissors for this), and then the hardest part- you need to take 1.5" off the baffle. the baffle is extremely strong, so it will be hard to cut. if you've already had your can on for more than 15-20,000 miles you might as well repack while you're in there.

you can mark the metal inlet (i cut from the inlet side in order to keep the two bros decal at the end of the pipe) with a sharpie where the holes are and then match the inlet to the can and mark where you'll need to drill the new rivet holes on the CF so that they line up with the metal inlet cap.

you will need a pack of 1/4" grip aluminum rivets with 1/8" diameter. (my can used 16 rivets, but mine is the old style and you may have less) and i forgot the size of the drill bit. it's on the two bros website if you look under their repack kit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. So do I need to drill the rivets out on both ends of the can or just one side like the inlet side or will it not all pull apart unless I do both 16 rivets sounds like you did both sides. Also does the metal baffel inside just slide out??? Could you post some pictures of your bike with your shortened exhaust.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
how many miles do you have on the can? if not a lot, then you only need to do one side. the primary purpose for me taking the can off the bike in the first place is because i had 20,000 miles on the can so i was repacking it. since i was repacking, i cut it at the same time since it was convenient while i had it completely apart during the repacking process (which by the way is a pain in the ******* ass). for you, if you ONLY want to shorten it- you only need to remove the inlet cap which connects to the midpipe. yes, i will post pics. and to remove rivets- you will need to either completely drill through them or just drill the head out and punch the core out with a spring-loaded punching pin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My can is Brand New so I will only havf't to do it from the back side. do I just pull off the gold cap thing that the mid pipe connect to and then cut it and then basically drill new holes and rivet it back on? Pics would be great if it is easier you can just e-mail me pics to [email protected] Does two brothers really make you a custom can for $50 more dollars like the guy said above I have never heard of that ??? I really appriciate your help Thanks

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yes, that's all you have to do, but you also need to cut the packing and the baffle by an equal length. make sure you mark where the holes are on the inlet cap before you completely push it back in. it's pretty self-explanatory, but you'll find it more time-consuming than you might think. it's raining like crazy over here, i'll take pics tomorrow. you should reference the "howto" done on the jardine- it's the same principle. all my pics are gonna be are of how it looked before and after (not much help). i have no idea about two bros and the $50 deal- i just did it myself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am also thinking about doing this, but not myself. I dont have the tools nor the patience and I have no experience at welding. Im just going to take it to the shop and have it done. What is this packing your talking? about I assume you just cut the end of the can the little metal piece that connects to the mid pipe not the actual carbon fiber. I have the new style CF two bros m2 vale on a 07RR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good, I still want to see the before and after pics, mainly the after pics and you said you took off and inch and a half of the can (carbon Fiber) right ??? Also I heard when you shorten the can like this it helps straighten it out a little is that true ???

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
answer to BAPISHPERE:

packing is the fiberglass stuff in between the baffle and the can itself. it looks like a pillow or a blanket. it wears/burns out over time and needs to be replaced after awhile. no, you do not cut the cap that connects the midpipe. definitely not. you cut the actual carbon fiber dude. it seems like you don't understand how the exhaust system is constructed.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
sounds good, I still want to see the before and after pics, mainly the after pics and you said you took off and inch and a half of the can (carbon Fiber) right ??? Also I heard when you shorten the can like this it helps straighten it out a little is that true ???

yes, i took 1.5" off. yes, i will post the picture tomorrow morning. and yes, it does allow you to straighten the can out more, but you need to careful about the positioning of the midpipe. at least in my case, when i make it perfectly straight (the can)- it touches the bottom of the subframe and burns the foil, so make sure your midpipe is about an inch away from touching anything around the right rearset. what are you waiting for dude? you could've already done this by now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
so cut the carbon fiber then weld back together? Its like a brand new pipe not that many miles maybe around 500 to 1000. I'm just going to have a shop do it they should know what to do, at least i hope they do. Do you know where I can find pictures of a shortened CF two bros M2 vale pipe? Has anyone on here shortened there M2 two bros pipe?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
there is NO WELDING involved. you cut the carbon fiber and then RIVET the end cap back on. i do not know where to find pictures of the new-style pipe shortened. you could probably google it and see. all you need to do is measure how far it goes out and then cut that much off the can, then re-rivet.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43703

to get an idea of what you'll be dealing with ^^^. i was gonna take a picture for you, but my camera is out of batteries. i'm charging them now and i should have the pic within a few hrs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks ya that Thread you posted of the Jardine Helped, I like the Tape Idea, I guess you mean cutting the pipe itself doesn't straighten it out, you can actually kind of straighten it out when you go to drill new holes for the end cap??? or did I read that wrong. just cutting 1.5" off doesn't straighten it right you drill the holes for the end cap and little different so it is straighter little confussed.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^^^WHAT?! :tard: you're going to have to exhibit more clarity bro. you use the tape to keep the CF from cracking and to make sure your cut with the hacksaw is straight with the edge of the tape...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^^ camera is broken. you can make it straighter by making your cut at a slight angle.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^^ ok, i will. how did the shortening go?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts