Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Disc brake alarm with motion sensor, but I am looking to install a full alarm system on my bike. I've read a lot about the Gorilla systems and heard a little about the Scorpio systems. What are you guys using, or what would you recommend?

-Thanks for the help

D

·
0 Posts
Probably not what you're looking for, but I saw one of these on craigslist a few weeks ago and it looks damn effective.

In this economy, for $10 and a meal a day, you can get an elderly person to follow you around in their car, and they'll sit next to your bike in a lawn chair with a gun in hand. Any pesky little thief wants to steel your bike and they get kneecaps full of lead.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
best alarm system is full insurance. If they really want it, there's not much you can do. Take many precautions when parking it. Common sense goes a longgggg way.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
a real alarm system can help reduce the price of insurance also.'
I am looking into a Scorpio i900.

·
Registered
220 Posts
scorpio's don't work, lojac takes to long and the disk rotor lock can be cut off in about 6 seconds with a portable saw! in todays world the best alarm is yourself and keeping your bike locked in a garage or a shead, sad isnt it! just keep up with your insurance its the only thing that will pay you back.

·
Registered
763 Posts
best alarm system is full insurance. If they really want it, there's not much you can do. Take many precautions when parking it. Common sense goes a longgggg way.
+1

a real alarm system can help reduce the price of insurance also.'
Find me an insurance company that will actually reduce your rate because of an audible alarm. Just because they ask if you have one on the online quote doesn't mean they'll give you a discount.

Alarms should be used as nothing more than a deterrent to keep foolish people away from your bike, not thieves. The only thing I really used mine for was for the proximity sensor. It would beep loud enough to keep most people from getting too close, and if not, the alarm would do the trick. All it really did for me was act as a peace of mind that some douchebag wouldn't come sit on my bike, or some bitch wouldn't put her baby on my bike for a picture.

To answer your question, Scorpio reigns supreme, IMO. Gorilla is bottom of the mill. Plus, Scorpio support is ******* amazing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
+1 on the Scorpio. I love the perimeter sensor. Honestly if a thief wants it they're gonna get it. But with the perimeter sensor your alarm will go off and give you a few seconds to do something about it. If you dont have a garage park it between your car and a wall. I live in an apartment and thats what I do. About 7 months ago someone either tried messin with it or something, not sure. But I heard my keychain go off and I was outside in my shorts with a japanese katana ready to get messy in about 10 seconds. Sadly all I saw was some dude running down the street about 50 yards off. Already paid for itself.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
scorpio and gorilla are the two most popular alarms. Scorpio has more features, but they will stop the same people. the non professional.

You can get a gps type alarm like the cycle protect that you run yourself (kinda like lojac but it text/emails you). This way you can take the steps you want immediately. Very good system imo.

Nothing replaces full insurance though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd like to see a xena xx14 cut through in 6 seconds, or for that matter cut off without a very creative way of disabling the alarm on it. Yea anybody can take anything, but the idea is to make it difficult enough that nobody will bother. If a thief needs to disable a proximity sensing alarm, disable a disc lock or disc lock alarm, and cut through chain he will most likely look for an easier target. And while full coverage is nice for people who get good insurance rates it doesn't make sense for a lot of poeple. The difference in my insurance cost for full coverage would buy the bike in 3 years. Meaning I lose money if someone doesn't steal it in 3 years. I'd get a good alarm with proximity sensing and layer up with other security as well.

·
BOTM 12/ 07 My Kickstand is up
10,565 Posts
ever since my first bike was stolen , now i'm either riding it , near it , or i can see it ... and if they still try and take it from me , the ignition kill on my scorpio alarm will stop them ... literally :toothy:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Gorilla. It does it's job. It deters 95% of the fools. The other 5% is covered under my full insurance.

But also be paranoid about it. You go into a restaurant, sit where you can see it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
i've cut a xena off when the key broke in it. Was damn easy to cut through and you reach the alarm in no time flat.

imo the gorilla is the best bang for the buck alarm out there. But deterrence is the key imo such as keeping the bike out of high visibility, motion lighting, big chain through the rim (can even be purchased from a farm store).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hmm maybe I'm wrong then, but I have a feeling it took more than six seconds, I'd guess at least a minute with the alarm going off in the meantime? Is it something you would really want to do in a parking lot or backyard if you were a thief and there were thousands of other bikes without disc locks available for the picking? I know people who were formerly involved in these types of activities, and every extra deterrent and extra minute it would take is another reason for them to move on and pick something less secured.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice guys. Im already doing most of the stuff mentioned. I just got paranoid after reading that war on sport bike thieves article, especially since I just moved down to SD. I'm thinking adding another line of defense (alarm system) will decrease the chance of someone trying to take my bike.

Does anyone know the main difference between the scorpio and gorilla alarm systems? Is it just the perimeter sensor?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Alot of the guys I deal with have the Viper alarm system. They are designed for cars but work great on bikes. They have the motion sensor, shock sensor and voltage sensor. Not to mention you can get remote start as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive got a scorpio i900 and absolutely love it! the perimeter sensor will likely scare away novice theifs, but if someone really wants it no alarm is gonna stop them

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a Scorpio i600,
it paid for itself already, when someone backed into my bike while I was @ lunch with the fam.

but its true, if they wanna steal it, it shall be done

Bastards..!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Scorpio has a new system with GPS built in but I am not sure of the price.
I will be getting an i900 as soon as the tax return comes in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts