Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week when I was replacing my chain, i was checking my front and rear sprockets. Decided not to switch them out because they both looked great. The front sprocket however, felt a little loose.

Without the chain on I could wiggle it around a bit. I didn't really think much of it and just put the chain back on.

However, recently I've been noticing a slight vibration from the footpegs. Not a constant vibration, it goes in and out. Mostly I can notice it at slow speeds, but that could just be because of all the vibrations at high speeds masking it.

How tight should the front sprocket be and should there be ANY play in it when the chain is off?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The sprocket shouldn't move on the splines too much... it may be worth pulling the cover off and checking that the retaining bolt is done up to the correct torque.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
The front sprocket will wiggle around a little bit if you have a 520 kit installed. It should be tight if you have an OEM chain and sprockets.
:+1::shakehand

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought the bike about a month ago. To my knowledge it has the OEM sprockets. Just replaced the chain with the "warrenty" kit OEM chain.

Why would the 520 make it be able to wiggle around?

Do I have to actually remove the chain to tighten it or is it possible to just tighten it after loosening the chain.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
You can tighten the front sprocket without touching the chain - just take the cover off

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to with my socket, but:

1. I couldn't get very much leverage because the handle was up against the frame.

2. With the amount of leverage I had it was as tight as I could tighten it, but I don't know if that was very tight or not. Also I thought the chain could be causing tension that would make it harder for me to tighten it if it were loose.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The chain and gearbox will help hold the sprocket and output shaft in place, what you are actually doing up is just a bolt that goes into the output shaft of the gearbox. If its tight, I wouldn't worry about it mate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then what else could explain the vibrations I'm feeling from that area and the play in the sprocket when replacing the chain?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
If its just a slight vibration it could be something like the tyres wearing and going out of balance :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The front sprocket will wiggle around a little bit if you have a 520 kit installed. It should be tight if you have an OEM chain and sprockets.

Ive got a 520 kit on mine and my sprocket torqued up well. Ive never heard this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last week when I was replacing my chain, i was checking my front and rear sprockets. Decided not to switch them out because they both looked great.?
Always replace sprockets and chain as a set. If your chain was worn, your sprockets were too. Now they are going to stretch your chain in no time and the new chain will eat what's left of the sprockets. The vibrations you are experiencing could well be from the chain not perfectly fitting the toothing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Even if my sprockets show little/no wear? My assumption was maybe the previous owner replaced the sprockets or something so I wouldn't have to switch them out.

There is no tooth deformation into a wave shape at all, but the chain was overstretched in one area dramatically so I had to switch that out. bought the chain + sprocket kit, so I could do the change.

My plan was to save the sprockets until I needed them though. Bad plan? :retard:

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you even have the sprockets definitely install them IMO. Sprockets are cheap compared to the chain. It's a save in the long run because all components will last longer.

Otherwise you can't use the new sprockets you saved until you buy a new chain again.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Even if my sprockets show little/no wear? My assumption was maybe the previous owner replaced the sprockets or something so I wouldn't have to switch them out.

There is no tooth deformation into a wave shape at all, but the chain was overstretched in one area dramatically so I had to switch that out. bought the chain + sprocket kit, so I could do the change.

My plan was to save the sprockets until I needed them though. Bad plan? :retard:
You may have put the wrong pitch chain on the sprockets the previous owner mounted up. 520 chain on 525 sprockets? I think that may cause serious problems.

When I installed my sprockets, I noticed there was a difference on the sides of the front sprocket. Maybe try to flip it around.

Also, Im a believer in doing all three at once. Some riders will swap only the chain but I see it as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll definitely have a look at my sprockets and probably install the new ones after finals.

As for a 520 chain on a 525 kit, I'm pretty sure theyre OEM sprockets and my chain is a 525 OEM chain.

Just rode the bike again today, still feeling it a little.

Could a slight jolt when releasing the clutch and engaging the gears mean something? What I mean by this is that when I upshift, and release the clutch, it seems like there is a little lag and then the drivechain sort of "jolts" into gear.

I usually counter this by releasing the clutch more gradually allowing it to "ease" into gear. I'm not sure if this is completely normal....My first bike was a ex-500 and I don't really remember how much lag there was.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Idk what exactly youre trying to describe without riding it myself. Sounds to me youre not matching the revs perfectly. I cant either.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Normal... nothing to worry about there, its just the chain bouncing up and down a little as drive comes on and off.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ive got a 520 kit on mine and my sprocket torqued up well. Ive never heard this.
Interesting. I can't remember exactly what happened when I put the front sprocket on, but the front sprocket ended up slightly loose, even thoguh it was torqued to spec. Several people agreed that a 520 front sprocket would wiggle around a little bit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just read that the OEM front sprocket has like a rubber damper on it? Aftermarket doesn't? I know my sprocket has like a dark brown "cover" over it. Just to answer the question if the bike came with a 520 kit or not.

Going to swap out the sprockets this weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts